iPhone died last night

gimpbabe

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I woke up to a dead phone. It's not battery related, as it had at least a 90% charge. Having to go to the store and replace it sux!

Question is - do I go to Verizon, where I purchased, or the Apple Store?

Reactions: Hawk142

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would go back to Verizon if you are still with their 14 day exchange/return period. Otherwise you should make an appointment at a local Apple store to get it looked at.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless your local Apple store has shortages on stock, I'd never recommend going to a carrier over Apple for issues like this, as Apple rarely gives anything but good service and carriers are usually interested in giving you a bit of grief even concerning warrantied phones...

Does the phone show a dead battery when you try to power it on? (i know you said it wasn't battery related, but i have seen a false % reading before on mine in the past, where it showed 100% and then maybe 20min. later the phone was almost dead)...what happens when you connect it via USB?

gimpbabe

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I guess Apple Store it is (I got the 4S on the 14th). Thanks.

The phone does not show anything. I plugged it in via USB earlier and nothing happened (kept it in for about 40 min) and nothing happened (and, I had charged it at 8pm last night). And, I think it should flash a low battery pic when the power button is pressed and it doesn't do that.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had that happen to me before, with my 4 and 4s. The screen just stays black, it's like it's shut off or permanently in sleep mode. It's happened while I was using it before, it just shuts off. Doing the hard reset has always fixed it me, but I would love to know what causes this! App crash?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that did the trick (and battery was at 67%). What happened? And do I still need to take it in?

Every once in a while an app or process will get hung up, and the phone may shut itself down as a safety precaution or, quite simply, it may just get confused and go WTF? and shut down...either way, if you don't notice any other sort of issue, you may be fine, and because the chances of you being able to replicate the issue on the fly to Apple are probably fairly slim, I'd say just hold off for now unless you experience further issues...I've had that happen before in the past, and the phone was fine and never had an issue again.

Reactions: gimpbabe

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
When in doubt always try a hard reset. Just like back in the day on Crackberry. First questions would always be, did you do a battery pull...

Hawk142

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you posted this thread as my iPhone just did the same thing and I was scared as these things are still in back order and I thought I'd be waiting awhile to get a replacement.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
When in doubt always try a hard reset. Just like back in the day on Crackberry. First questions would always be, did you do a battery pull...

LOL! OS 6 should have been called "operation battery pull" instead of "operating system".

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
LOL! OS 6 should have been called "operation battery pull" instead of "operating system".

LOL, I chuckled when I read that. Funny I'm on os6right now, and well, every other day, yep you guessed it. I'm doing the 'ol bp because of the mem leaks:( I can't wait to get my iP4S. I'm hoping to be able to do so this mth:)

Anyway, my question in regards to a hard reset on an iPhone, or my iPad1 I currently have now-- as I'm not 100% sure, but is holding down the home button and the top sleep button together the process of this? And once the iPad or iPhone powers down to wait a moment or two, and then power back on, correct? TIA to anyone who can confirm this. I've had my iPad1 for 1+yrs now(2010) and I don't ever recall having to do this.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I chuckled when I read that. Funny I'm on os6right now, and well, every other day, yep you guessed it. I'm doing the 'ol bp because of the mem leaks:( I can't wait to get my iP4S. I'm hoping to be able to do so this mth:)

Anyway, my question in regards to a hard reset on an iPhone, or my iPad1 I currently have now-- as I'm not 100% sure, but is holding down the home button and the top sleep button together the process of this? And once the iPad or iPhone powers down to wait a moment or two, and then power back on, correct? TIA to anyone who can confirm this. I've had my iPad1 for 1+yrs now(2010) and I don't ever recall having to do this.

You are correct...hard reset is power + home...soft reset is power with the "slide to power off" slider.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You are correct...hard reset is power + home...soft reset is power with the "slide to power off" slider.

Thx so much for confirming that Sean. I honestly don't ever recall having to use that function on my iPad, that's why I was unsure of what a hard reset was exactly lol. Thx again:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't recall ever doing it on our iPad 2 either...then again, it doesn't get used nearly as much as our iPhones, so that may be way.

Could be true. Although within the last 2mths I've been using my iPad ALOT as I'm tired of the lag on my bb's browser, and I use OM on it, but it's still not as quick as my iPad is.

I also don't use a lot of apps on my iPad either, just the games my kids have loaded up for when they use it is all. So it does make sense, because you prob have a reasonable amt of apps on your iP and use them often, which then sometimes on a rare occasion you'll get a black screen of death, so to speak.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
About two weeks after I purchased my iPad Classic I had the same thing happen. I unplugged it after an overnight charge and got nothing. I thought I had killed the damn thing! I called Verizon and they had me do the power/home screen thingy and it worked like a charm. Hasn't happened since.:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh