iPhone "Charge Only" USB Mode?

chooch

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to charge the iPhone4 via USB connected to a computer without the computer recognizing it as a storage device? I know the DROID has a "Charge Only" mode, but I can't seem to find anything like it for the iPhone.

The reason I need this is that I have a secure work laptop that doesn't allow external USB devices to be hooked up that can be seen as flash drives, but I was told that setting the "Charge Only" mode will work. I don't want to plug in my phone until I know it won't try to install the software, because the computer will log me as trying to use an unapproved device.

Thanks,
Jon

Edit: I have a jailbroken phone too if anyone knows of an app that will do this.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Our work computers have a similar restriction about flash devices, but they allow phones and mp3 players to connect for charging.

The iPhone doesn't show up as a storage device, though. It shows up as a camera.

chooch

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately our work computers are more restrictive. External devices aren't allowed to show up at all. On other computers where the iPhone is plugged in, the phone is shown as a camera, but is still allowed to save/retrieve data in the camera's "Internal Storage" directory, which is a big no-no for our company.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to charge the iPhone4 via USB connected to a computer without the computer recognizing it as a storage device? I know the DROID has a "Charge Only" mode, but I can't seem to find anything like it for the iPhone.

The reason I need this is that I have a secure work laptop that doesn't allow external USB devices to be hooked up that can be seen as flash drives, but I was told that setting the "Charge Only" mode will work. I don't want to plug in my phone until I know it won't try to install the software, because the computer will log me as trying to use an unapproved device.

Thanks,
Jon

Edit: I have a jailbroken phone too if anyone knows of an app that will do this.

The iPhone cannot be used as a mass storage device. Windows sees it as a digital camera, not mass storage. No software will be installed. You could also ask your IT department about it.

Last edited:

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I work in supposedly a very secure environment too and I've always wondered why they didn't crack down on stuff like this. Heck, one time I came to work and transferred 5GB of files from a huge project I was working on to my external HDD and it was on my desk all day. No one said a thing!

chooch

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone cannot be used as a mass storage device. Windows sees it as a digital camera, not mass storage. No software will be installed. You could also ask your IT department about it.

Yeah, I did ask my IT department. They said as soon as I plug it in, it will start the USB driver installation process, where it will be blocked and then flagged in the system as myself trying to install an unapproved device, which may or may not be sent to headquarters for something for them to investigate.

In order to use my iPhone or any device, I would have to get the device pre-approved, and the contents wiped and encrypted, and the device recorded in the system as a secure device. At that point, they can confiscate or wipe it at any time. Obviously a big hassle, so they recommend not attaching personal devices to company computers.

Which brings me back to my original question. They said that the DRIODs have the ability to set the USB to "Charge Only" which won't trigger this whole process, but weren't sure about the iPhone. I just wanted to see if there is a way to do this, as I didn't want to have to find an outlet to charge if I'm on the go.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming there is electricity since your computer at work is plugged in. Why not just plug the charger into the wall? Probably charge it quicker anyway.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I did ask my IT department. They said as soon as I plug it in, it will start the USB driver installation process, where it will be blocked and then flagged in the system as myself trying to install an unapproved device, which may or may not be sent to headquarters for something for them to investigate.

In order to use my iPhone or any device, I would have to get the device pre-approved, and the contents wiped and encrypted, and the device recorded in the system as a secure device. At that point, they can confiscate or wipe it at any time. Obviously a big hassle, so they recommend not attaching personal devices to company computers.

Which brings me back to my original question. They said that the DRIODs have the ability to set the USB to "Charge Only" which won't trigger this whole process, but weren't sure about the iPhone. I just wanted to see if there is a way to do this, as I didn't want to have to find an outlet to charge if I'm on the go.

The iPhone does not have that option.

Maybe they will connect it for you and disable driver installation? My work computer makes no acknowledgment that my iPhone is plugged into the USB port but it charges fine. I don't know what settings they did for it to work like that, probably because I can't install or remove anything.

Or you will need to invest in another charger or dock for the wall.

Reactions: chooch

chooch

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone does not have that option.

Maybe they will connect it for you and disable driver installation? My work computer makes no acknowledgment that my iPhone is plugged into the USB port but it charges fine. I don't know what settings they did for it to work like that, probably because I can't install or remove anything.

Or you will need to invest in another charger or dock for the wall.

Thanks, I figured that it probably didn't have this setting, but I thought someone might have a solution. I guess I just need to find an outlet when I'm on the road for charging.

phud777

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue at work. You can get around this if you cut into the USB cable itself, and cut the two data wires. These should be color coded white and green on standard USB cables. Once these are cut you have some splicing to do. In order for the phone to charge, you have to splice the green and white together on the phone side of the cut wires. This tells the phone it is hooked up to power source, but no actual data can reach your computer. Therefore, no trace of your phone on your PC.

WARNING!!!! make sure the two wires do not touch on the computer side of the cut. This can short out your computer. Cap them off however you can. After you are done, electrical tape everything back together, and you are good to go.

Once the wires are spliced on the phone side, and you are taped up, you can plug in the usb, and it will charge your phone and not show as a device on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal