iPhone automatically connecting to Unsecured Wi-fi networks

gregs1213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I'm out and about, I noticed my iphone will connect to unsecured wi-fi networks automatically without asking my to join the network. I have the option ON to ask to join any network before I connect, but it doesn't do it. I tried searching for an answer, but all i am finding is that many people are having the opposite problem connecting to an unsecured network. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If its names the same as another network you have joined (like the generic "linksys") this will happen. You need to click the arrow next to the network name when connected
and choose "forget this network".

Does that help or is this a case where it is joining networks with names you have never joined before? Even then you should try the tip above and see if it helps.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Reset network settings So it forgets the network and turn off the notify me of new networks

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

gregs1213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If its names the same as another network you have joined (like the generic "linksys") this will happen. You need to click the arrow next to the network name when connected
and choose "forget this network".

Does that help or is this a case where it is joining networks with names you have never joined before? Even then you should try the tip above and see if it helps.

Thanks, but it continues to join networks with names that I've never joined before. For instance, if I am at Starbucks, it will automatically connect me to the Wi-Fi even if I've never connected before .. It connects to all sorts of weird unsecured networks as well..

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but it continues to join networks with names that I've never joined before. For instance, if I am at Starbucks, it will automatically connect me to the Wi-Fi even if I've never connected before .. It connects to all sorts of weird unsecured networks as well..

Are you on AT&T? I think that's who Sbux uses which may be why.

gregs1213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm on ATT.. but it's not only starbucks, for instance when I'm near my boyfriends house it will connect me to "Time Warner - Unsecured".. or at "McDonalds - Unsecured" or when I'm just driving by a random place.. These are places I've definitely never connected to before.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm on ATT.. but it's not only starbucks, for instance when I'm near my boyfriends house it will connect me to "Time Warner - Unsecured".. or at "McDonalds - Unsecured" or when I'm just driving by a random place.. These are places I've definitely never connected to before.

I don’t know about "Time Warner - Unsecured", but if you are on AT&T, you will automatically connect to any AT&T HotSpot wifi locations...

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Why not just turn wifi off when u leave the house. Therefore it won't search for networks while your out and it won't connect to any network because its not looking for one to connect to ???

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

jbs-horn

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There's a setting under "Settings/Wi-Fi" called "Ask to Join Networks." Turn this off and it will stop trying to connect you to new networks.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a setting under "Settings/Wi-Fi" called "Ask to Join Networks." Turn this off and it will stop trying to connect you to new networks.

That's just it. The phone is connecting without being asked, which is what that setting is for.

My thoughts are the ones the OP is connecting to are the AT&T free wifi that you get free access to. Not sure I'd like it automatically connecting though. I don't always trust those.

jbs-horn

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
On my phone, turning off the "ask" setting results in the wifi not attempting to connect unless I search for a connection. In McDonalds, Sam's, and a number of other places it just stays on "4G".

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
On my phone, turning off the "ask" setting results in the wifi not attempting to connect unless I search for a connection. In McDonalds, Sam's, and a number of other places it just stays on "4G".

Do you have to have it search on your home wifi each time or does it automatically connect? I have mine set this way and it still connects to known networks.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Why does it matter ?
It does not drain much of the battery.
Most folks have wifi on all of the time like myself.
I get great battery life.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Like I said resetting network settings should fix it .. You will have to type your wifi password for your home as it Won't remember any wifi anymore until u connect for the first time

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, resetting network settings should fix things up...

I have never had my device connect to any network unless stored. It should always ask.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If resetting the network settings does not fix this...you're either A.) Connecting to networks with mirrored names (which happens often because many people don't name their networks, especially if they have multiple networks), or B.) You have a faulty device.

Reset the network settings...if it's still a problem, take the phone back and get a new one.

notebaert

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem, and it is so annoying, because it disrupts your service. For instance if you’re on your bicycle talking to your brother and Europe on face time, and you drive by a Starbucks, you’ll lose the call because it switches over to another network. I think it has to do with the global Wi-Fi access app, I have the same problem, and it is so annoying, because it disrupts your service. For instance if you’re on your bicycle talking to your brother and Europe on face time, and you drive by Starbucks, you’ll lose the call because it switches over to another network. I think it has to do with the global Wi-Fi access app, Greg’s 1213, do you have that application on your iPhone? I just deleted mine, I hope that fixes it

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, and it is so annoying, because it disrupts your service. For instance if you’re on your bicycle talking to your brother and Europe on face time, and you drive by a Starbucks, you’ll lose the call because it switches over to another network. I think it has to do with the global Wi-Fi access app, I have the same problem, and it is so annoying, because it disrupts your service. For instance if you’re on your bicycle talking to your brother and Europe on face time, and you drive by Starbucks, you’ll lose the call because it switches over to another network. I think it has to do with the global Wi-Fi access app, Greg’s 1213, do you have that application on your iPhone? I just deleted mine, I hope that fixes it

Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sure that you will find the help you're looking for. Your post is the first post on this thread in 5 years, so there may be newer ways of fixing this issue.

Also, when you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen