Iphone attachable keyboard

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I doubt there will be. It adds to the clutter that Apple is trying to get ride of. Eventually there will be wireless (OTA) syncing. But for now, I don't see Apple producing an external keyboard.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello Palm Foleo!

Didn't that die off before it even got off the ground? Maybe one of the bluetooth laser keyboards would work.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
A virtual keyboard may be in the iPhone's future -- one projected. I just don't think many consumers require it.

The device(iPhone original) might even support a non-apple keyboard already; I'd look around.

What I see in the future is the iPhone having computing power to run as a fully functional computer. It could be hooked up to an LCD(or OLED by then) and run applications and everything like it was a desktop machine. And the probability of this increases with processing-intensive desktop apps becoming web-apps -- and with hardware inevitably shrinking in size. The future will be fun.

Last edited:

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
A virtual keyboard may be in the iPhone's future -- one projected. I just don't think many consumers require it.

The device(iPhone original) might even support a non-apple keyboard already; I'd look around.

What I see in the future is the iPhone having computing power to run as a fully functional computer. It could be hooked up to an LCD(or OLED by then) and run applications and everything like it was a desktop machine. And the probability of this increases with processing-intensive desktop apps becoming web-apps -- and with hardware inevitably shrinking in size. The future will be fun.
So kinda like the dock laptops hook up too? That would be awesome. I mean we already know the 30-pin connector could do video output. A keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals won't be far behind. It would be awesome if the iPhone turned into a full computing platform, but I don't think it will happen soon.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on it. Apple has been on the front line for soft keyboards, can't imagine them retracting now..

Though a dock keyboard could make the iPhone a replacement for the laptop!

emceechad

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't assume so. Part of the iPhone's innovation would be the fact that it has a good reliance on a touch screen, so I wouldn't imagine a virtual keyboard coming into play.

Merriadok

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
i'm a big fan of touch technology, but i am also a big fan of emailing and chatting, this means i would also become a BIG fan of external keyboard for an iphone.. still, i think, the developers have put too much effort into making the virtual keyboard, to make a real one.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

What with ever-increasing flash memory sizes, what about this crazy idea?

Imagine a dock for the iPhone which connects to what looks to be a Cinema Display, into which a mouse and keyboard are also plugged. Now realize that the display is actually FOR the iPhone and that the iPhone has replaced the computer, at least in this instance. This could be the ultimate docking station for the iPhone, although screen resolution would have to be worked out - unless resolution independence were in full force, that is.

HawaiiMacAddict

bayaryaan

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
External keyboard is a must

i really enjoy the touch keyboard, but does anyone know if there will be a attachable keyboard in the future like on other phones.

I've had my iPhone for a year now and I simply HATE the touch screen keyboard. Having previously used a blackberry and Treo, I can tell you first hand that typing on one of those devices is much easier. If Apple truly wants enterprise adoption of the device, they need an external keyboard. I can't stand even sending short emails on mine iPhone.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I've been thinking about this. It'd be cool if they designed one that could be separated from the device(if you only need the virtual keyboard), yet attach to the back via magnets(if you need a physical one).

The keyboard could communicate through bluetooth. And since it is attached with magnets, it could have a really minimalist design and basically take any shape, not compromising the design of the phone, conforming to whatever design the phone has but adding only a little thickness. Also, with internal magnets of varying strength, this keyboard could slide out like on other phones, but not require all the design compromises to achieve the functionality.

The only problem is negating the magnets power over cellular signals. I don't doubt it could be done though.

I think if there is a future keyboard for an iPhone, it'll be like this, or be a larger, still virtual, projected keyboard.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have a feeling that you will never see a keyboard on a iPhone... Steve Jobs has taken a ton of jabs at "other" devices with plastic keyboards and his dislikes for them. And I agree with him. If it ain't broke... don't fix it. And if you really do need a keyboard then a iPhone may not be for you.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I 3rd that? lol

If you want old technology then go back to a BB or some other device with a keyboard.

Apple and the iPhone are innovative technologies and touchscreen is the new black for phones!

Asking for a keyboard on an iPhone is like asking for training wheels on a street motorcycle....why?!

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hm...interesting.

I came from a Treo 700p, and one of my big reservations for switching over to the iphone was the loss of a tactile QWERTY keyboard (I made the jump on 3G launch day 7/11) and IIRC, I even posted some reservations about it on treocentral...well, it's been almost 3 months later, and I've never looked back. :)

I've pretty adapted to the touchscreen. I used to wish that future iphones would include a pull out QWERTY keyboard (like the Instinct), but now, I think like that might ruin the "eleganant design" of the iphone. :shrugs: YMMV.

However, if they wanted to develop an EXTERNAL add-on keyboard as proposed by the original poster, that wouldn't bother me,
Brent

charliej66

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
I love this keyboard. Coming from a BlackBerry I was worried that I wouldn't like it. But right away it became one of my (many) favorite features of my iPhone. Hope they don't change it.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I was a Treo user going back to the 600 and always hated the keyboard. My fingers are too mushy and I needed to push to hard. iPhone keyboard for me is super easy and much better.

However, I have a couple of Apple BT keyboards, and I'd *really* like a simple BT connection option for those babies.

Sure, some senior editors might find them a tad big and non-portable, but it'd be groovy for a start!

USCGMK

Oct 19, 2008
Visit site
I thought that I would have issues with the touch screen keyboard as well. I came from WM devices with keyboards and despised the HTC Touch when it came because of the lack of a real keyboard, but since I have used my iPhone for a while I really don't miss any of those devices.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR