iPhone Activation

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan and voice plan that I use for my BB 8820. If I remove my SIm card and place it into my Treo 750 I have full voice and Data with no issues. My question is if I buy an iPhone and insert my current SIM card will I be able to use all of the iPhone functionality? In other words can I access the Internet as well as make phone calls using my current plan?

Dieter Bohn

Editor Emeritus
Feb 1, 2001
www.backlon.com
Sadly, not without some hackery (somebody prove me wrong!)

Here's what you have to do:

1) activate the iPhone on your account.
2) pull that new sim out and use it instead of your old. Also, call AT&T and ask them to change your plan back away from the iPhone plan to your other plan (or stick with the iPhone plan -- though I've heard it doesn't work so well on the Blackberries)
3) repeat steps 1 & 2 after every major firmware update.

...One of the many reasons I wish that apple didn't use their non-standard activation scheme -- convenient though it is.

I'm really hoping somebody will jump in and tell me I'm an idiot.

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
Me too....Not that I really want someone to call you an idiot..HAHA

The only way I would ever buy an iPhone was if I could use it with my current AT&T voice and data plan. If not, no iPhone in my future.

jhetzel

Dec 16, 2001
Visit site
I really love to see all thus hackery ways to get around this. I have a Treo 680 on AT&T on a family plan with $20 unlimited data. My work just provided me with an iPhone to do application testing. The phone is activated with company SIM and phone number. I would like to use my personal SIM (680) so I can use the iPhone as my daily phone with personal number. AT&T will still get their money from the company account, I just want to use the phone.

Any ideas would be appreciated.