Iphone 8 vs iphone 7?

Archie Medrano

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm planning to get a new smartphone as a replacement for my galaxy s3 and I'm considering switching to iOS as I've been using Android for five years. The new iphone 8 seems to be a little upgrade over the last gen iPhone 7 so im deciding which of the two should i get. As some of you have been long time iPhone users, I have some questions to ask:

1. which capacity should i get? I don't usually play games nor play movies on my phone. Only music, photos and video streaming

2. How does file transfer from pc to iphone work? Is iTunes still required especially for music?

3. (SPECIAL MENTION) Your thoughts on iPhone SE?? It's the cheapest among the iPhone lineup and yet its powerful enough ( on par with 6s). The only disadvantage i see here is the front camera which is only 2 mpix and the small screen. Im also considering this one as my first ios device :)

Im planning to get a new phone next month.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
@Archie Medrano, welcome to iMore! We're glad you're here!

Wow! A Galaxy S3? That's a hardy little phone you have there! Hopefully I can answer some of your questions!

1. This is really dependent on how you plan to listen to your music and store photos. If you stream from Spotify or even Apple or Google Play Music you should be okay with a 32 GB iPhone 7. If you use a SD card however to store all your photos etc and do not plan to use a Cloud service of some type you may want to consider the larger size of 128 GB. Since you seem to do really well as far as longevity on your phone I think 128 GB is a safe bet for you!

2. For a basic or first time user your best bet is to check out iTunes first. I believe there are other legitimate methods but I've never had an issue with iTunes. Also, when you first set up your phone Apple has methods of transferring all your data from your Android device.

I hate to assume how tech savvy someone is, and I don't like to lie about how tech savvy I think I am, so if you have any other further questions on this one I'm more than happy to dig deeper...I'll probably dig deeper without being asked, to be honest

3. Sir, I'm a die hard Plus user, and I LOVE everything about the SE. I believe the battery life is much better than the iPhone 7, and as a heavy user I've yet to find myself wanting with my own SE. I've never noticed a huge difference in the front facing camera, basically because I really don't take selfies, but my daughter likes to pose with me now and again.

I won't lie, the screen is tiny. It's a good place to start though. I struggle going back and forth between my 7 Plus and my SE (it's a hugggeee difference) but grow accustomed quickly. I think once you became accustomed to a screen in either size you'll really enjoy it.

Plus, the SE will soon be updated to iOS 11, and shortly be ARKit capable, much like it's big brothers!

That's basically all I have for ya! If you need anything else please let me know!

Again, welcome aboard! And I hope you enjoy your new phone and we see you in the forums!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to get a new smartphone as a replacement for my galaxy s3 and I'm considering switching to iOS as I've been using Android for five years. The new iphone 8 seems to be a little upgrade over the last gen iPhone 7 so im deciding which of the two should i get. As some of you have been long time iPhone users, I have some questions to ask:

1. which capacity should i get? I don't usually play games nor play movies on my phone. Only music, photos and video streaming

2. How does file transfer from pc to iphone work? Is iTunes still required especially for music?

3. (SPECIAL MENTION) Your thoughts on iPhone SE?? It's the cheapest among the iPhone lineup and yet its powerful enough ( on par with 6s). The only disadvantage i see here is the front camera which is only 2 mpix and the small screen. Im also considering this one as my first ios device :)

Im planning to get a new phone next month.

Well let’s see,

#1 . If you plan on having music downloaded to the phone, it depends on how much music you want on your phone. 32GB or 64GB should do well enough as photos don’t take up a lot of storage, especially with iOS 11 using smaller file sizes for photos taken with the phone.

#2 . Pretty much yeah, iTunes is necessary for music for sure unless you get Apple Music, then you can download straight from the Music app, but Apple Music is $10/mo. Other than that, you could use Dropbox, Google Drive, or iCloud if you don’t want to deal with iTunes for files.

#3 . I haven’t used a phone the size of an SE since I had my iPhone 5. It is as powerful as an iPhone 6S, it is also, however, closer to EOL. I don’t think the SE will get many more iOS updates, Apple usually updates devices back 5 years before they are incompatible. The iPhone SE also doesn’t run the smoothest on iOS 11 and that will continue to get more lag with each major iOS update. This is something to keep in mind if you want to say on the latest version of iOS. Other than that, the SE is a solid phone, it just wouldn’t work for me because I am a heavy user and have to charge my iPhone 7 Plus at least throughout the day if not more.

And of course, welcome to iMore, we’re always happy to help. If you’d like more information or have more questions don’t be afraid to ask. As for a new iPhone, my recommendation would be an iPhone 8 if you can, or an iPhone 7, simply because you will be able to get software updates for a few more years with it. iPhone 7 will get updates for another 4 years, and iPhone 8 the next 5 years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR