iPhone 8 Plus: Intel or Qualcomm

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what models of the iPhone 8 Plus use which modem? My reason for asking is that I get better reception with my Qualcomm powered 7 Plus than with my Intel powered 7 despite both being on at&t.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what modems are being used, but it does appear to be like the 7 Plus where there is a GSM-only version and an all-carrier version of the 8 Plus.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what modems are being used, but it does appear to be like the 7 Plus where there is a GSM-only version and an all-carrier version of the 8 Plus.

Thats not good news because the GSM only 7/7 Plus had the weaker Intel modem whereas the global and CDMA 7/7 Plus had the superior Qualcomm.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thats not good news because the GSM only 7/7 Plus had the weaker Intel modem whereas the global and CDMA 7/7 Plus had the superior Qualcomm.

It appears we may need to wait a while to know for sure. This article suggests that they again may well be using a mix of Qualcomm and Intel modems; though it could also be using only Intel modems (the new Intel chips support CDMA), with Apple's well publicized fight with Qualcomm.

The good side, the Intel modems are just as fast as the Qualcomm modem that Apple may be using, and Apple is definitely using faster modems than in the 7/7+. It likely doesn't matter if you have an Intel or Qualcomm modem. On the bad, it appears they likely aren't using Qualcomm's fastest modem (that supports Gigabit speeds).

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
It appears we may need to wait a while to know for sure. This article suggests that they again may well be using a mix of Qualcomm and Intel modems; though it could also be using only Intel modems (the new Intel chips support CDMA), with Apple's well publicized fight with Qualcomm.

The good side, the Intel modems are just as fast as the Qualcomm modem that Apple may be using, and Apple is definitely using faster modems than in the 7/7+. It likely doesn't matter if you have an Intel or Qualcomm modem. On the bad, it appears they likely aren't using Qualcomm's fastest modem (that supports Gigabit speeds).

If the Intel modems are improved from what they used in the 7/7 Plus then it might not be as bad. I have a Qualcomm in my 7 Plus and it gets better reception and speeds than my company issued 7 with an Intel modem. Hopefully someone figures it out.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From what I'm seeing, though I haven't had it verified, once again the GSM phones are using an Intel model and the CDMA are using a Qualcomm. The good news, the Qualcomm modem it is claimed is being used is capable of Gigabit speeds. The bad news, the Intel isn't as good (though they do support LTE-Advanced, with 512 Mbit speeds) and it is believed Apple has again limited the Qualcomm modem so that it preforms like the Intel.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Both run very well. I don't see where it's anything to be concerned about, either way. My 6s Plus has the "bad" chip, but has done great. It's not something you're going to notice.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

GSM only versions are only sold at ATT and T-Mobile stores, everything sold directly by Apple and Sprint/Verizon stores is all carrier version.

maskedcarrot

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
GSM only versions are only sold at ATT and T-Mobile stores, everything sold directly by Apple and Sprint/Verizon stores is all carrier version.

No that's not true.

Even if you buy the AT&T or T-Mobile version at an Apple store they will still have the Intel modem.

The only way to get a Qualcomm version outside of Verizon or Sprint would to buy the Sim Free version.

My 7+ and 8+ I both bought directly from Apple for my AT&T Next plan, and both have the Intel modem.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
No that's not true.

Even if you buy the AT&T or T-Mobile version at an Apple store they will still have the Intel modem.

The only way to get a Qualcomm version outside of Verizon or Sprint would to buy the Sim Free version.

My 7+ and 8+ I both bought directly from Apple for my AT&T Next plan, and both have the Intel modem.

This!
How do you see what modem it has?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I'm seeing, though I haven't had it verified, once again the GSM phones are using an Intel model and the CDMA are using a Qualcomm. The good news, the Qualcomm modem it is claimed is being used is capable of Gigabit speeds. The bad news, the Intel isn't as good (though they do support LTE-Advanced, with 512 Mbit speeds) and it is believed Apple has again limited the Qualcomm modem so that it preforms like the Intel.

Has it beem confirmed which modems are in which phones yet?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This!
How do you see what modem it has?

Typically the information has come from teardowns, and all units of a particular model of the iPhone (such as A1864) will (or should) use the same components.

Has it beem confirmed which modems are in which phones yet?

IFIXIT has done a teardown of the Apple 8 Plus A1864 (Verizon/Sprint model) and it has the Qualcomm X16 modem (they also did the similar iPhone 8 model) -- though apparently is missing the antennas that would allow the Gigabit speeds (likely so it will match the GSM model, A1897). Techinsights did a teardown of the model A1897 and found it had the Intel XMM 7480 modem.

So, yes, it is now confirmed.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Typically the information has come from teardowns, and all units of a particular model of the iPhone (such as A1864) will (or should) use the same components.

IFIXIT has done a teardown of the Apple 8 Plus A1864 (Verizon/Sprint model) and it has the Qualcomm X16 modem (they also did the similar iPhone 8 model) -- though apparently is missing the antennas that would allow the Gigabit speeds (likely so it will match the GSM model, A1897). Techinsights did a teardown of the model A1897 and found it had the Intel XMM 7480 modem.

So, yes, it is now confirmed.

Thanks, I didn't see those when I searched Google but I probably didn't word my search correctly.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Are Intel modems not as power efficient as Qualcomm modems?

That I'm not sure of. IME, the Qualcomm modem in my 7 Plus gets better reception than my company issued 7 with the Intel modem. I go to fringe areas sometime and my 7 Plus will have a few bars and my company issued 7 says no service. Both devices are on at&t.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR