iphone 7 Waterproof. ? Anyone tested it

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't put it underwater since it's water-resistant and not waterproof. There's a difference. Water-resistant means you can accidentally spill water on your phone or it can withstand an accidental spill... But it doesn't mean you should take a dunk into a pool while holding your phone.

Does not mean you can.. however many have.. and it seems to work well for short periods of time and not as deep.

IP67 Rating which means that these devices are resistant against water ingress to a maximum of 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes, as well as protected against dust ingress.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey do any of you know about a scuba housing for the 7 of the 7+?
I'm just thinking about getting one and that's something I will really like to have.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I will take Apple's word that the IP67 rating is accurate. I will not test it myself on purpose.

As mentioned previously, it can be submerged. The IP67 rating means there will be no water ingress when submerged up to 1m for up to 30 minutes.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The argument of waterproof vs. water resistance does not hold water any more. Sorry for the pun.
Look at the IP ratings and IP67 does in fact allow submersion.

One has to remember, however, these are static tests. Real life is hardly static. If a phone is dropped in a tub with a depth of 15cm from a height of 1 meters, the initial plunge is going to have dynamic pressure higher than the rating. It's OK just a fuse rated at 20A won't blow when a motor that pulls 35A for an instant while starting.

Swimming, OTOH, will cause all sorts of pressure variances exceeding on multiple planes. Most of the time this "exceeding the limit" is harmless but there's never a guarantee that you won't experience a failure.

Testing the water proofness of our devices isn't routine. It's not a one shot feature say like an automobile airbag, flashbulb (for those old enough to remember those!), or dry chemical fire extinguisher. But it's not something you should do like test your smoke detectors or take a firearm to the range either. It falls somewhere in between. For those aw5hit moments like a beer getting knocked over by the family pet or a drop in the toilet. Yuck!

Even so, there are places for fluids to get in and even though it may not reach the circuit board or switch, it will change the device. This is cumulative damage. Leisurely dunking the phone isn't probably something you want to do outside of those folks on youtube (you know who you are!) that count on views to pay for their destructive repertoire!

It's peace of mind knowing if you leave your phone next to the sink and it falls in and gets wet you don't have to scramble pronto looking for a baggie and cupful of rice. ;)

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I asked a genius today while at the Apple Store about this topic. She said that Apple doesn't really know how the water resistance will stand up to the test of time. They are more or less telling us to use caution in the event it does fail as it is not covered under the warranty. I also asked her if I could use an accident incident with AppleCare+ to replace a water damaged phone and she said absolutely yes, as I suspected in the first place.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I paid ?909 (do your math) for mine: I'm not going to test it on purpose, for sure

'Nut said...

I'm not one who needs to know if the phone is indeed water-resistant or water proof, drop-proof, microwave proof, bulletproof, etc. OP, submerge "your" device in water and see if it is water-resistance, and report the results back to us...

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think just in order to be fair with each other, I think all should test their iPhone7s and show the result, actually it's more scientific to test it in different situation and by different people instead of just one try :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen