IPhone 7 belkin glass issue

alexrat1996

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I have a belkin glass on my iphone 7 installed at apple store oct 2016 then march 2 it had dust under it and I contact belkin for a replacement they told me once I get the new to go back to apple for them to install it.

Will apple reinstall it for me like belkin told me ?

alexrat1996

May 18, 2016
Visit site
apple did not install it with there machine but manually by hand but got more dust inside the protector should I try another apple store I asked for a replacement

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I installed another one messed up two times and belkin offer me a replacement I will try another apple store

The devil is in the details here. I got a free replacement of my iPhone 7 glass screen protector from Belkin after the first one developed a chip. No problem there. I took the unopened box to the Apple Store, and they said they would happily install it, but not with the Belkin installer. The reason was that only the Belkin screen protectors in the boxes that Apple carries in their stores have a special holder or frame that fits in the Belkin installer. The Belkin boxes from Belkin or on another retailer's shelf do not have this accessory, so they have to be installed by hand in the usual way, not in the machine.

The Apple Store rep installed my replacement screen protector carefully and there are no bubbles or dust. The only problem is that there is a 1 mm area on the right edge of the active screen and about a 0.2 mm area on the left edge that isn't covered. Otherwise the protector is symmetrically installed if you look at the openings for the home button, the upper speaker and the front camera. IOW, the asymmetry and failure to cover the entire active screen is not an installation issue. I asked the Apple guy whether this is because the 7 has a curved screen, and he said it doesn't have a curve in the active part. My cheapo interim screen protector I used while waiting for the second Belkin protector fully covered the screen, but I couldn't get rid of the halo bubble all around the protector. And I think it wasn't as clear as the Belkin or as smooth, but it cost $6 for two screens.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
The belkin doesn't cover the viewable screen for whatever reason. I had one installed with the machine and had major screen bleed. I returned it and started buying cheap ones off amazon. I'm having a hard time getting them to seal all the way around on my i7 jet black. I've tried multiple brands. No luck.

alexrat1996

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I installed two belkin on my iphone 7 jet black messed up asked for a replacement installed a cheap one from amazon till i get my belkin then I will remove the cheap one then install my belkin.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The belkin doesn't cover the viewable screen for whatever reason. I had one installed with the machine and had major screen bleed. I returned it and started buying cheap ones off amazon. I'm having a hard time getting them to seal all the way around on my i7 jet black. I've tried multiple brands. No luck.

Same experience here. So, which is worse, some screen bleed with an otherwise solid screen protector, or the halo around the edges because the edges won't stick completely? And Why can't Belkin make a $35 screen protector about 2 mm wider to cover the screen completely but without a halo?

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Same experience here. So, which is worse, some screen bleed with an otherwise solid screen protector, or the halo around the edges because the edges won't stick completely? And Why can't Belkin make a $35 screen protector about 2 mm wider to cover the screen completely but without a halo?

Agreed!! I've tried like 5 different brands all the same issue. Halo around the corners. So frustrating. The belkin sealed perfectly just screen bleed. Now on my plus the belkin and others have installed perfectly the first time and no screen bleed. + is fine the regular 7 not so much frustrating.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious - does the Belkin Glass that they sent you come packaged with the 4 tabs that insert in the machine? I know when I bought mine at the Apple Store in December, it had a template of sorts that lined it up into the machine for a perfect install. There is no dust at all under mine.

As for the protector being short, sure but I figure I'll deal with that since any more it's going to cause a halo effect and that's more annoying to me. I only notice the flare maybe 20% of the time because a lot of the screens I look at are darker and it's not as easy to see.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious - does the Belkin Glass that they sent you come packaged with the 4 tabs that insert in the machine? I know when I bought mine at the Apple Store in December, it had a template of sorts that lined it up into the machine for a perfect install. There is no dust at all under mine.

As for the protector being short, sure but I figure I'll deal with that since any more it's going to cause a halo effect and that's more annoying to me. I only notice the flare maybe 20% of the time because a lot of the screens I look at are darker and it's not as easy to see.

No, the version they sent could not be installed with the Apple Store machine because there were no tabs. The guy did it by hand, and quite a good job of it, too. No dust, no bubbles and only the slightest of halo on the bottom where it isn't noticeable.

The strange thing is, that while both the front camera aperture and the home button openings are perfectly aligned, the top speaker grid opening in the protector is asymmetrically aligned and slightly to the right, whereas there is slightly more screen open on the right side than on the left.

Talk about nitpicking....

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Decided to do a swap through AppleCare because I couldn't deal with the halo effect anymore. Got my new i7 128 jet black the next day installed a spigen glass and its perfect. I really believe my screen was off on my previous i7 I've tried around 15-20 screen protectors and every one didn't deal. On my new phone put 1 on and it's perfect.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Decided to do a swap through AppleCare because I couldn't deal with the halo effect anymore. Got my new i7 128 jet black the next day installed a spigen glass and its perfect. I really believe my screen was off on my previous i7 I've tried around 15-20 screen protectors and every one didn't deal. On my new phone put 1 on and it's perfect.

Could you explain to me how you got AppleCare to swap out your phone due to a halo effect caused by an aftermarket screen protector, even one sold and applied by an Apple Store? How did you convince them that it was your phone screen that was off? That might help me to deal with Apple. My Apple Store told me that any problems I had with the Belkin protector should be taken up with Belkin.

Last edited:

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I had volume key issues so with having AppleCare + I submitted a claim got a new phone and screen protector fits perfectly

Aha. Thanks. I don't have anything wrong with my phone other than the screen protector issue which in my case I think is a problem with the protector, and not the installation of it, either. My previous Belkin fit pretty well, or at least was symmetrical with a little screen showing on both edges of the screen protector.

I've sent another replacement request to Belkin and will see what happens.

I looked at the Spigen protector on Amazon. It is thicker than the Belkin, .33 vs .21, I believe, and there were complaints about the edge peeling and also some rainbow effects. I assume your experience was different. I've never been able to figure out the wide variation in ratings on Amazon when it comes to this sort of thing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR