iPhone 7 back camera and flashlight not working?

I

iMore Question

Today I tried to open my camera app and I realized that the back camera is not working. Whenever I try to take a picture I just get a black screen (the front camera is working though) I tried to capture a video and in the upper left hand corner I saw an exclamation mark that when I pressed it a messaged appeared saying "The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash", even though my iPhone had not been exposed to high temperatures or direct sun light. The flashlight is not working either. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried the common solutions to problems like this, for example turning the phone off and then on again but it didn't work. I am from Paris and my current location is Hawaii and I will be in Hawaii for next 3 months. Should I go to Apple store? I also searched online and found TCAWireless and such 4-5 other places which provide iPhone solutions. Should I go there? Please help

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, welcome to imore,

First, make sure you’re at a cool location, like a store or other environment that’s air conditioned.
Wait 5 to 15 minutes and try again.

If this doesn’t help, turn off your phone for 5 minutes and keep it somewhere somewhat cool and restart it again and check again.

If the problem continues, it’s best to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store.

If you have any questions please register here to our forum. We love to help.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you try Reset All Settings?

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

tamaralig

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Instead of doing the reset settings option do a restore to factory after you make a backup in iCloud or iTunes. The best course of action if that doesn’t work chat in with support to have them run diagnostic it can save you a trip to the store as it will tell them if the back camera sensor has failed and if so they will setup your appointment ps if there’s existing damage it may be attributed as the cause

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Instead of doing the reset settings option do a restore to factory after you make a backup in iCloud or iTunes. The best course of action if that doesn’t work chat in with support to have them run diagnostic it can save you a trip to the store as it will tell them if the back camera sensor has failed and if so they will setup your appointment ps if there’s existing damage it may be attributed as the cause

A restore is the last thing one should try. A reset all settings might work. If not, then a restore as new, but not from a back up. The problem may be in the back up.