Iphone 5s - unlocked

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The T-Mobile iPhone 5S is sold through Apple. It is also the unlocked model as well. Very confusing the way Apple listed that on their website.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The T-Mobile iPhone 5S is sold through Apple. It is also the unlocked model as well. Very confusing the way Apple listed that on their website.

It was the same way when T-Mobile sold the Nexus 4. It was the exact same model that Google sold in the Play Store, but T-Mobile's was advertised in such a way that you could believe it was a T-Mobile version.

blast33

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So if i go to T-mobile i can pick up an unlocked version instead of waiting week or maybe more if i try to buy it online from apple

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
So if i go to T-mobile i can pick up an unlocked version instead of waiting week or maybe more if i try to buy it online from apple

T-Mobile won't get the 5S the same day AT&T, Verizon and Sprint get it. *As far as I know*. So anyways, you will have to wait.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile won't get the 5S the same day AT&T, Verizon and Sprint get it. *As far as I know*. So anyways, you will have to wait.

Not so sure about this. I've read a few posts online that said T-Mobile would start selling the 5S in their stores on the 20'th. probably best if customers call their local T-Mobile stores just to be sure.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

So if I want unlocked to use on VZW- that is the one shown as t-mobile unlocked on Apple.com?

craigdolson

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So at the risk of being flamed for being "stupid".. If I order the "T-Mobile GSM Unlocked" device, it will work with AT&T Wireless LTE bands, if I am reading Apple's LTE description page correctly, right?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So at the risk of being flamed for being "stupid".. If I order the "T-Mobile GSM Unlocked" device, it will work with AT&T Wireless LTE bands, if I am reading Apple's LTE description page correctly, right?

Yes that one will work on AT&T's LTE network.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile also will not be stocking the 32GB. If you can find a 5S at a store it will be a 16GB. They did the same for the iPhone 5.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Only the 16GB model? Better to get one from Apple if this is the case. At least they carry the unlocked model in all 3 storage sizes.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro..

anon(5828343)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store today and was told that the unlocked T-mobile iPhone 5S would be "carrier locked" in the U.S. (so was not be usable with an AT&T sim card) but would be usable with any sim card internationally.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I don't understand how they can, in effect, only lock out AT&T while allowing the use of sim cards from every other carrier worldwide.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store today and was told that the unlocked T-mobile iPhone 5S would be "carrier locked" in the U.S. (so was not be usable with an AT&T sim card) but would be usable with any sim card internationally.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I don't understand how they can, in effect, only lock out AT&T while allowing the use of sim cards from every other carrier worldwide.

I was also told by an Apple rep that it may only activate on T-Mobile, they admitted though that Apple doesn't have this information and to contact T-Mobile. I then spoke with a T-Mobile rep and was told it should have no problem activating and being used on any other carrier as long as that carrier is compatible with the iPhone. So, I guess I'll see when my 5s arrives and I take it to the Aio store to get it activated.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I called the Apple.com 1-800 number 3 times to make sure I was getting the unlocked one from the site. Each one confirmed it was the unlocked phone. Here is how it showed up on my receipt. It does say unlocked. And Apple rep said to just pull out the TMO sim and replace it with another when we get them.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1379730680.004315.jpg

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Just a word of caution be you precede. Unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhones or any modern phone for that matter may not be the same as standard unlocked GSM iPhones. T-Mobile does not use the same bands as say AT&T for their 4G network so before you go placing orders look up the GSM bands on Apple's site to make sure you get what you want. Unfortunately, all phone reps are also not as equally well versed in these matters so doing your homework first is prudent in this case.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Before the mad rush on the 20th, the Apple site referenced the A1533 as the unlocked iphone. But on the the 20th, the unlocked purchase option disappeared. However, look at the 5C and you'll see the A1532 is both the TMO and unlocked phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR