iPhone 5s still an awesome phone for 2016

jjfad

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
As someone who thinks the 4" form factor is the largest I could ever use, I have to say that the 5s is going really strong in 2016. iOS updates typically kill a phone, but iOS works beautifully on this thing. I could even persuade myself that battery life and speed are better on iOS 9 vs iOS 8. I am thinking about stockpiling one or two 64GB 5s phones on eBay.

If the iPhone 7 rumors turn out to be true and it is indeed a 4" form factor then I might upgrade. Otherwise the only thing that would make me upgrade is when it is no longer possible to upgrade the OS (and apps stop working).

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
As someone who thinks the 4" form factor is the largest I could ever use, I have to say that the 5s is going really strong in 2016. iOS updates typically kill a phone, but iOS works beautifully on this thing. I could even persuade myself that battery life and speed are better on iOS 9 vs iOS 8. I am thinking about stockpiling one or two 64GB 5s phones on eBay.

If the iPhone 7 tumors turn out to be true and it is indeed a 4" form factor then I might upgrade. Otherwise the only thing that would make me upgrade is when it is no longer possible to upgrade the OS (and apps stop working).

I will agree with you in that the 5s is a great phone and will continue to be for some time to come. As long as Apple still sells them new, they will continue to support them. Heck my wife has a 5 and still loves it. Both my son's have a 5s and swear by them. Smaller hands so they all like the smaller form factor.

I thought I would never leave the 5 line, but after owning a 6 now since day one I have become use to the larger form factor. It took some time getting use to using two hands. I am even considering going with the Plus when the 7 comes out. I have gotten use to everything about the 6 and really could not back now. When I handle the 5/5s it feels so small to me now.

You will not go wrong with the 5s and it is still a formidable phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I also like the 4inch iPhone and still use my Gold 5s 64GB as my daily driver

Best iPhone made to date in my opinion

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that the 5s is going really strong in 2016. i).

My wife's iPhone 5 is still going strong, even more so your 64bit processor with touchID 5s. Here is to hoping Apple comes out with a new smaller form factor device as the 5 would probably not receive the next version of iOS or it may work terribly like it does on the 4s.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 5s is still awesome. iOS 9 runs great. Personally I like the smaller form factor. I've thought about getting a 6s, I've even looked at them several times but I always change my mind.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of people in the family that still use an iPhone 5 and a 5C. They swear by them. I may be lost here but what are the iPhone 7 rumors that you speak of?

jjfad

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I prefer the 4S form factor but it is way too laggy -- and not upgrading is not an option if you want to keep using apps (many stop working unless you upgrade to the latest version of the app, and many apps do not work in older versions of iOS)

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I went from the 6, to the 6Plus...now back on the BEST cell phone ever built, the 5S. If Apple comes out with a new updated 4 incher, I'm all over it. For now, the 5S is still awesome.

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I had a 6s+, now 6s and I'm thinking about going back to a 5s again. It's my favorite iPhone design yet. Also still a great performer even today.

sdc1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I love the 5s as well, it's perfect for me. I had a 6 Plus but much prefer my 5s. I'll also be in line for a new 4" iPhone if it arrives.