iPhone 5S or the Moto X?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I think you're right but I can't quite put my finger on why. I spent the last 18 or so months switching amongst various Android handsets (some of them very very VERY nice) only to come back to iOS completely.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Here is why I think everyone comes back to using an iPhone after owning one.

1) BUILD: The iPhone lets face it has one of the greatest builds out of any smart phone on the market. A trusty camera that wont let you down on vacations, solid aluminum body so when you pick that phone up in the morning that aluminum feeling is solid and you feel like you have a premium device in your hand ( you do). Also the size of the phone is excellent for quick reply's to messages, and doing tasks on the fly. But I think the winner for most in this category is the sleek aluminum design. It just looks and feels great.

2) SOFTWARE: iOS 7 isn't the most advanced software on the market but its clean looking, doesn't lag often, and if a company releases an app that you are interested in you can be darn sure its coming to iPhone first most of the time. The home screen is very well designed, all of the apps are the same size and everything fits in proportion with one another. That personally is a big pet peeve of mine with the android, every app is different sizes and trying to organize these to fit my ocd is just mind boggling. iMessage is another feature most love where you can see if people have read your messages or if not you can at least see if they are texting back. You don't know how much you like that until its gone.

3) ACCESORIES: The old saying you don't know what you had until its gone doesn't kick in until you walk into an electronics store and notice that most stereos, car audio systems, case companies, and even new vehicles all tend to the iPhone. So people who enjoy having a new case every other day really suffer with most android devices. Galaxy accessories are picking up mind you but nowhere near what they have for iPhone.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea I have to agree with all that. My biggest issue is software and the flaws in the OS (most notably the messed up notification tray issue I mentioned above). But overall, it's something I put up within order to have the benefit of amazing hardware, accessories galore, and a clean feel with the smoothest apps there is.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right but I can't quite put my finger on why. I spent the last 18 or so months switching amongst various Android handsets (some of them very very VERY nice) only to come back to iOS completely.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

I've had 4 or 5 different Android devices in the last 2 months. :redface:

H A W K said:
3) ACCESORIES: The old saying you don't know what you had until its gone doesn't kick in until you walk into an electronics store and notice that most stereos, car audio systems, case companies, and even new vehicles all tend to the iPhone. So people who enjoy having a new case every other day really suffer with most android devices. Galaxy accessories are picking up mind you but nowhere near what they have for iPhone.

Tell me about it! When I traded my 5 for a Note 2 in December there was absolutely no way I could find a case off the shelf at any store around town. I have instant gratification issues so that didn't play well with me. LOL

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean. When I bought my 5s I instinctively ordered a case online because I was so accustomed to doing so for my androids and windowsphones. I forgot that you can buy iPhone accessories everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5, and If I had a choice between the 5S and Moto x, I'd go with the android phone. I got a chance to play with the moto x and it is a great and fluid device, all the reviews I've seen about it also give it a positive feedback 😀

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to know any of this to enjoy Android. Most of the time when people root and flash ROMs it's because they want stock Android, the Moto X has that so there's no need for any of that.
You won't screw anything up if you stay away from ROMs and even then it's pretty hard to brick the phone. The Moto X is perfect the way it is out of the box imo

That's true. I'm not against Android, but I find iOS to be more snappier. An update is pushed ASAP if there is a major bug. I just don't see that in Android. Not even stock Android devices.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's true. I'm not against Android, but I find iOS to be more snappier. An update is pushed ASAP if there is a major bug. I just don't see that in Android. Not even stock Android devices.

I have the 5s and the Moto X. The iPhone only feels smoother because it's a simpler UI with no widgets or 3rd party things going on inside. IOS doesn't even allow you to do things like share a picture with multiple apps from the gallery because Apple restricts it for this very reason. Whenever apps get permissions to do certain things within the OS, it will bog it down, and use more battery too. That goes for any system.

For me, the Moto X is the perfect balance of options and smoothness. The single only thing that keeps me using my iphone as my daily driver is the waterproofing I get with Lifeproof and the accessories and deep support for that product line. If they supported the Moto X like they do Apple products, I would use Moto without hesitation! It's clearly a better phone with a more advanced IU in Android 4.4.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the 5s and the Moto X. The iPhone only feels smoother because it's a simpler UI with no widgets or 3rd party things going on inside. IOS doesn't even allow you to do things like share a picture with multiple apps from the gallery because Apple restricts it for this very reason. Whenever apps get permissions to do certain things within the OS, it will bog it down, and use more battery too. That goes for any system.

For me, the Moto X is the perfect balance of options and smoothness. The single only thing that keeps me using my iphone as my daily driver is the waterproofing I get with Lifeproof and the accessories and deep support for that product line. If they supported the Moto X like they do Apple products, I would use Moto without hesitation! It's clearly a better phone with a more advanced IU in Android 4.4.3

Well, they (Apple) has developed a ton of cross-app Apis that enable sharing between apps easier now. I would say it was far better than a good many years before.

blackberriquero

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto x and its amazing, its fast, amazing and cheap.
Also try looking foe a review of the Moto x on youtube, you will be impressed

Sent from my XT1058 using iMore Forums mobile app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Can u elaborare a bit?

Many apps like iDownloader allow you to save videos to your camera roll.

Instagram accesses your gallery.

You can now open email attachments into a third party app.

Some examples off the top of my head.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Many apps like iDownloader allow you to save videos to your camera roll.

Instagram accesses your gallery.

You can now open email attachments into a third party app.

Some examples off the top of my head.

I want to see better sharing from texting apps like whatsapp, bbm or Facebook messenger

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
These things are gradually improving, as you see image sharing, file sharing opening up for the instant messengers.

Just look at BBM. :)

Actually, I don't like bbm as much. I use it for voice calls internationally, but for texting, whatsapp is superior. No file size limit, can send videos, and apps don't change orientation when u send them. Bbm has ways to go. And u still can't send a photo from the gallery on either platform

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Biggest pet peeve of all on iOS is the way notifications are handled in the pull down bar! Android is far superior in that area

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Biggest pet peeve of all on iOS is the way notifications are handled in the pull down bar! Android is far superior in that area

I agree wholeheartedly. iOS notifications can get a lot better and I expect them to. But we're lucky they're not the notifications of iOS 4 and below.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly. iOS notifications can get a lot better and I expect them to. But we're lucky they're not the notifications of iOS 4 and below.

And hey, I'm not knocking the iphone. I mean hey, I use it 24/7. Love the form factor! But limitation is limitation. And the jumbled notifications that don't go away as u view them is just flat out quirky!

Androids slide swipe to dismiss and the fact that each notification goes away as u view them is something I love when I use the Moto on wifi

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
And swiftkeys swipe keyboard is amazing! Ehhhh I'm starting to have that fever to switch again lol

DS1331

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have had a iPhone 5 and gave it up for the Moto X and this is the most perfect Phone I have ever had, everything about it is great.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice