iPhone 5S or the Moto X?

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's a matter of personal preference. But I would say the 5S because of it's simplicity, dependability and build quality. It just works.

The Moto X also, just works. I see it as the iPhone of the Android world versus the spec-heavy flagships other OEMs offer

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would honestly discourage against using an Android phone unless you absolutely don't mind learning the ins and outs of the system. It's much more open and easy to screw things up if you don't know the more advanced things like Roms, or the File system, or the bootloader. There is a chance you might encounter these things even if you aren't actively looking into them. So, I would say, if you are the kind of person who does not like fiddling with your phone just to see what more you could get out of tweaking the heck out of it, get the iPhone 5s. It is a far more closed system and some people who aren't into the nerdy things like rooting would do just fine with it.
You don't need to know any of this to enjoy Android. Most of the time when people root and flash ROMs it's because they want stock Android, the Moto X has that so there's no need for any of that.
You won't screw anything up if you stay away from ROMs and even then it's pretty hard to brick the phone. The Moto X is perfect the way it is out of the box imo

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
But with cloud streaming services like iTunes Match or Google Music, you don't need to carry that entire music collection around anymore.

I disagree. For people with limited data plans, this may not be an option. What do I do on a plane? How about when I'm out of cell coverage? I want my music with me regardless of the data connection. In these cases, your suggestion would not be feasible. People have varying requirements; for me, it's to carry around as much as possible.

NexusNick123

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I had an iPhone and now a Nexus..I can say yes iPhone just seem to work better but I like Android its just a bit more techy for me and that I like.. I love Apple and still have an iPhone 5s but an Android is my go to device.. It all matter of what you want but I would look up some Youtube videos on each phone and some more like the other Android device and go try them out at the stores but at the end of the day it matters what you want...

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see anywhere that you specifically said which phone you're currently using, but I'm assuming by the context that you have an Android. Given the 2 choices you mentioned, I think your experience will be quite similar either way, except for the obvious difference of the ecosystem. Even so, some of Google's best apps are the iOS versions so you wouldn't have a lot of compromise to stay with Google's services. You can't go wrong either way. Either phone will give you a top notch mobile experience.

I would honestly discourage against using an Android phone unless you absolutely don't mind learning the ins and outs of the system. It's much more open and easy to screw things up if you don't know the more advanced things like Roms, or the File system, or the bootloader. There is a chance you might encounter these things even if you aren't actively looking into them. So, I would say, if you are the kind of person who does not like fiddling with your phone just to see what more you could get out of tweaking the heck out of it, get the iPhone 5s. It is a far more closed system and some people who aren't into the nerdy things like rooting would do just fine with it.

This advice is pretty much obsolete. Take a Moto X or a Nexus device out of the box, and the entire experience is similar to iPhone's as far as what you need to do to get it up and running. The modern (high end) Android is just as fast, just as smooth, just as stable, and just as reliable as a modern iPhone. Some of them are even just as expensive! :tongue:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to know any of this to enjoy Android. Most of the time when people root and flash ROMs it's because they want stock Android, the Moto X has that so there's no need for any of that.
You won't screw anything up if you stay away from ROMs and even then it's pretty hard to brick the phone. The Moto X is perfect the way it is out of the box imo

That pretty much defeats the purpose of having an Android phone , don't you think?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. For people with limited data plans, this may not be an option. What do I do on a plane? How about when I'm out of cell coverage? I want my music with me regardless of the data connection. In these cases, your suggestion would not be feasible. People have varying requirements; for me, it's to carry around as much as possible.

Well, if you know that in those cases you wouldn't be able to stream, load the music you want though. However, it does not mean that such an alternative doesn't exists, or is a bad alternative. Just because you are in a situation where it does not apply doesn't mean it's bad...

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I am Apple all the way! I am sure there is nothing wrong with the MotoX except its not made by Apple. So I wouldn't be interested. However, it may work for you.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That pretty much defeats the purpose of having an Android phone , don't you think?

I don't think. Out-of-the-box, an Android such as the Moto X or a Nexus device will give you every bit as good of an experience as the iPhone, but on a different ecosystem. Android rightly earned their reputation of laggy, slow, buggy, and virus infested, but that's largely a thing of the past. In some ways the Android experience is still not as good as iPhone's, in other ways it's better. But overall, they're quite similar, and I'd say equal. There's no need to flash custom generic ROMs anymore for an authentic Android experience.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It's depends on what you want in a phone. Gaming or customisation, go Android, reliability and practicality, go iPhone.

In all honestly you couldn't go wrong with either but unfortunately you have to choose one or the other. (unless you can afford both ofcorse)

I would give the gaming to the iPhone though.

Tapatalking on the N7....

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think. Out-of-the-box, an Android such as the Moto X or a Nexus device will give you every bit as good of an experience as the iPhone, but on a different ecosystem. Android rightly earned their reputation of laggy, slow, buggy, and virus infested, but that's largely a thing of the past. In some ways the Android experience is still not as good as iPhone's, in other ways it's better. But overall, they're quite similar, and I'd say equal. There's no need to flash custom generic ROMs anymore for an authentic Android experience.

Well, some phones like the HTC One have stock Google Android roms that just beg to be used on their Sense based cousins...that and those old devices where the only path to getting the latest version of Android is through a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. Granted, not everyone will mess with these ROMs, but if they want to go down that route they could encounter issues. Just saying...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Chipotle (Android has had the app for a while now)

I know this is a bit of a necrobump, but when I was in Chipotle last week I saw their sign that their app was now available for Android.

That's great, but it still brings me back to my original point. I had the Chipotle app on my iPhone 3G several years ago, and it just now gets to Android literally years after it was available for iOS. That's pretty much par for the course for most new apps, watch it get released on iOS first and hope that developer hopefully, maybe, possibly makes an Android version down the line. Sometime a few weeks later, sometimes months/years later, or never. I got tired of waiting for developers to release apps for my phone as an afterthought, and went to where they're focusing their primary efforts at (iOS).

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I do disagree with what some are saying on here.

I use a Moto X, I got it during the cyber Monday promo to go along she my iPhone 5. Personally I much prefer the Moto X to the iPhone. For one I really dislike the look of iOS 7. Secondly this kind of goes along with customization but if you don't like the stock email app, or texting app out anything just download a new one. One of the biggest things I like about the X is the moto connect extension for chrome. I can reply directly to texts, send a new text or see who is calling all from chrome and without picking up my phone. This is huge convenience to me, I also get signal in places my iPhone could not

Don't let others scare you from Android. You don't have to know anything about bootloaders, ROMS, flashing the phone unless you want to. The phone will work just fine without all that. My X doesn't crash on me, I get an occasional reset but that doesn't end the world in my opinion.

I also use Motorola Assist in my car. My phone senses when I'm driving and then starts reading my texts out loud and gives me the option to respond via voice all without touching the phone. A big downer to me about the iPhone 5 is no voice and data at the same time, my moto x can but I believe the Verizon 5s to now.

If you are heavily invested in Apple and don't mind not having the top of the line exciting useful features then go iPhone. But for me once I found the moto x and what it has to offer I couldn't go back.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a bit of a necrobump, but when I was in Chipotle last week I saw their sign that their app was now available for Android.

That's great, but it still brings me back to my original point. I had the Chipotle app on my iPhone 3G several years ago, and it just now gets to Android literally years after it was available for iOS. That's pretty much par for the course for most new apps, watch it get released on iOS first and hope that developer hopefully, maybe, possibly makes an Android version down the line. Sometime a few weeks later, sometimes months/years later, or never. I got tired of waiting for developers to release apps for my phone as an afterthought, and went to where they're focusing their primary efforts at (iOS).

Ha, if you think that's bad try using a Windows Phone! If they do get apps they're usually garbage. At least Android usually gets apps fairly soon after iOS, if not simultaneously. But you're correct in that iOS is usually first.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have both the 5s and the Moto x. For me, there's only 2 real reasons I stick with iphone. The 64gb option, and lifeproof. Sounds weird to say that a case is what keeps me married to one device but in this day in age, if u want a quality, durable device that is life proof, u gotta get an iphone with a life proof case.

But if the Moto X came in 64gb and had a lifeproof case or a good solid waterproof case like it, I would go with that. The os and it's features are far superior to iOS. Touch less control, active notification, pure android, custom widgets, swiftkey, and the way apps interact on android is far superior.

Iphone camera is def top notch! And that might make it hard to leave behind. But overall, that's basically the jist of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am typing this on my 5s and I really like it just like I have enjoyed every other iPhone since the 4. They keep getting better. I also use a few android phones through out the year. I don't know if I could use another android phone that wasn't the Moto X or whatever they make next. That phone is just about perfect. The only draw back for me, and it's a big one, is the camera. If you don't care about that or can get past it then that's phone to have. That's taking nothing away from the 5s though. This is a great phone. For me, the Moto X solved all the things that would always end up bugging me about android. Well, except the camera.

Sent using Tapatalk

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The option to send pics anywhere from the gallery app is a big plus for me on Android. Too bad the camera isn't "iPhone quality."

Bluetooth file sharing and music sharing just makes sense on Android.

Also, it feels more natural in the hand to hit the back key on android since it sits right at the bottom with the home and multitasking keys. On iphone, it's usually in the top left corner. And to use an iphone with one hand, I find myself having to stretch out my fingers uncomfortably far just to go back in apps.

Copy / paste is also far superior on android via the Moto X

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I wonder what the OP decided to get. I do like my Moto X a lot but when I'm out with it alone I still feel the itch for my iPhone. Lots of good comparisons here on what features people like and are using, very interesting.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel it's really up to how much you like Apple and also iOS7 to make these sorts of decisions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73