iPhone 5S iOS 8 update

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, I jailbreaked my iPhone 5 just so I wouldn't be plagued by this update. I guess I can't avoid it now. My jailbreak (Pangu) isn't stable so I have to do a DFU restore which will update automatically to iOS 8. I dunno how people who jailbreak can put up with that the instability.

Once I update, I will report back and let everyone know how much RAM is sucked up by iOS 8.

Well, my pangu jailbreak has always been been stable on my 5S. Truth.

iPhone 5S Gold ( iOS 7.1.2 )

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. With each major update, your device slows down. Granted, for the most part, most people probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you have two devices, one with and the other without side by side. However, for the astute like myself, I do notice a difference. I noticed a difference immediately with the 5 when iOS 7 came about. It wasn't a big difference but it was there.

My rule of thumb is never update iOS more than one major update eg. iPhone 5 was introduced with iOS 6 and I upgraded to iOS 7. iOS 8 is really pushing it. One might not notice a big difference if you run very few apps or very light apps. For me, I run over 130+ apps and of course, I see the difference even though others may not.

Your incorrect in your observation iOS 7 was a complete rewrite of there OS and granted it did slow down aging devices but iOS 8 was a feature rich update that has no real barren on the resources. What you might be noticing is 3rd party app lag from non supported software

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
That's not true. With each major update, your device slows down. Granted, for the most part, most people probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you have two devices, one with and the other without side by side. However, for the astute like myself, I do notice a difference. I noticed a difference immediately with the 5 when iOS 7 came about. It wasn't a big difference but it was there.

My rule of thumb is never update iOS more than one major update eg. iPhone 5 was introduced with iOS 6 and I upgraded to iOS 7. iOS 8 is really pushing it. One might not notice a big difference if you run very few apps or very light apps. For me, I run over 130+ apps and of course, I see the difference even though others may not.

So wonderful to be astute no? LOL

Unless you're running all 130 apps at the exact same time, your usage really won't be much more than anyone else due to the nature of the multitasking in iOS.

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I am also missing some features, like quick reply from the lockscreen. Swiping the notification only gives me the option to dismiss it. I also have message preview on in the lockscreen.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am also missing some features, like quick reply from the lockscreen. Swiping the notification only gives me the option to dismiss it. I also have message preview on in the lockscreen.

Are you swiping down?

You only swipe left in the lockscreen pull down menu to reply if your on the Homescreen you swipe down

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Finally fixed the problem! Did a factory restore from the phone settings, then bam I can already quick reply from the lockscreen.

rward01

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I ended up updating my 5s through iTunes. I had a pretty smooth experience. My 5s performed just as well as it did on iOS 7.1.2. There were some bugs but performance was fine.

CORYK333

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My 5S is running just like every other time I've done a major update.....a bit sluggish/buggy the 1st day or 2, then after a reboot or 2 & system cache building & catching up with itself it runs wonderfully. Even noticed a bunch of (personally) annoying things from ios 7 are gone such as not being able to add songs to a playlist from another playlist. Now if only they would do something about that horrible landscape view in the Music app. Still looking for a point, let alone advantage to it over a year later!!!

Same exact feelings/review on IOS8 on my Retina Mini & an iPod touch(newest version)

Michael Brown20

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Terribly disappointed that I had to delete 4gigs of stuff to do this update, to find out afterwords it used hardly any of the space I created. I cannot access my photos to upload to Facebook etc.....my iPhone 5c is now trash. I believe apple created this operating system in hopes most would buy the iPhone 6. Sorry Apple im totally disappointed and pissed!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Terribly disappointed that I had to delete 4gigs of stuff to do this update, to find out afterwords it used hardly any of the space I created. I cannot access my photos to upload to Facebook etc.....my iPhone 5c is now trash. I believe apple created this operating system in hopes most would buy the iPhone 6. Sorry Apple im totally disappointed and pissed!

It needed the space to download and execute the update, then clean up the extra space. Could also have done it through iTunes and your computer would have done all the work. Wife's iPhone 5 only had 1.5gb left and updated no problem via iTunes :) sorry yours isn't working as well!

jxng

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

EXACTLY! iPhone 5 slowed down a bit w/ iOS 7. Control center is a little laggy.

iPhone 5s slows down a bit w/ iOS 8. Also, the first thing you notice is that Control center is not as smooth as ever.

I prefer 7.1.2 until apps are not complatible and be forced to upgrade to a iOS 8 version with less bugs.

Leyton Wylde

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I updated my 5S the first day of release in the UK. I have had no problems BUT the past couple of days I have noticed my phone becoming very hot rather quickly. Then yesterday the battery drain was ridiculous. From full charge to 4% in half a day under very light use. My wife's 5C experienced the same thing on the same day, which is weird or coincidental. This morning very did a hard reset on both and all appears to be fine......so far.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's unfortunate that some are experiencing lag and some bugs but it will all work out in the . release just as it did with iOS 7

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I updated my 5s within the first hour of release. It's running smooth with no lags and apps are fine. If you're having trouble try to restore your device. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen