"iPhone 5s Blue Screen Of Death Bug" - Anyone else seeing this happen on their device?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site

I've not witnessed it myself but it seems as though the Apple Support forums are filling up with it. Of course, some places are running with dramatic headlines on it but it seems to be an iWork Suite issue and not really a hardware thing as far as I can tell. One fix posted for it states:

Turn off the Documents & Data in iCloud Settings in iOS 7.

Go to “Settings -> iCloud -> Documents & Data”, switch off the Pages, Keynote and Numbers options.

That's not really ideal but if you're having the issue, might give it a go.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That sucks that it is becoming common enough to garner attention online, but whenever these issues pop up, it always makes me wonder about the legitimate frequency of the issue, or whether people are just mimicking the posted activity and experiencing the same crash. I mean what if you pressed the home button 60 times within a minute and Siri didn't respond without a reset...sure, there should be an incoming fix of some kind, but really? How many people are actually going to experience that in a natural occurrence kind of setting?

I'm not trying to justify the issue, it needs to be fixed for sure, but I do question the validity of the frequency of this problem. I did a little personal research across the Apple support forums and MacRumors, and found that 99% of the posts and thread that reported this blue screen problem were in relation to one of the iWork apps, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that the problem is at least isolated some what. Only one out of like 15 that I opened had a different scenario, while the person was using the podcast creator, and that case didn't blue screen, it just crashed.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Blue Screen of restart again opening a note app called Just Type. Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm not trying to justify the issue, it needs to be fixed for sure, but I do question the validity of the frequency of this problem. I did a little personal research across the Apple support forums and MacRumors, and found that 99% of the posts and thread that reported this blue screen problem were in relation to one of the iWork apps, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that the problem is at least isolated some what. Only one out of like 15 that I opened had a different scenario, while the person was using the podcast creator, and that case didn't blue screen, it just crashed.

Pretty much what I came up with as well, iWork looks to be the root cause.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it may be apps that are not compliant I some sense with iOS 7. It happen to with pages and a app Just Note that I believe hasn't been updated since iOS 6. I'll watch out for any other apps that make the phone crash.

KingaSpades

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've actually tried to make this happen using pages just like it did in the video and I can't get it to shut down. It just keeps going. It has to be a certain batch that was produced.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I deleted Pages yesterday and just reinstalled it to see if I can make the phone crash. It Didn't crash.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Only happens once in pages when emailing a document .. I chalk it up to the app vs ios 7 although you would think of all apps the apple made ones would work flawless since they started giving them away free with new device purchase

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Only happens once in pages when emailing a document .. I chalk it up to the app vs ios 7 although you would think of all apps the apple made ones would work flawless since they started giving them away free with new device purchase

They are probably going to do a total redesign of the iWork apps. But it wasn't a priority more than likely.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Once people started posting about it, I was able to trigger it.

But it's not something I ever would have gotten on my own -- if I'm word processing on my mobile devices, it's on my iPad.

But typically I'll open up my Air to actually write something.

(Yes, I go with iPhone, iPad, and Air. It's a sickness, my gadget dependency...)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Once people started posting about it, I was able to trigger it.

But it's not something I ever would have gotten on my own -- if I'm word processing on my mobile devices, it's on my iPad.

But typically I'll open up my Air to actually write something.

(Yes, I go with iPhone, iPad, and Air. It's a sickness, my gadget dependency...)

You got the Blue Screen on your iPad ? Which model?

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
No, no. Got it on my iPhone 5s. Though now will attempt to get it on my iPad 2.

Update: Unable to replicate it on an iPad 2 running iOS 7.

It's a 5s bug.

Ya I don't have the 5s yet but have had iOS 7 on my iPad 4 since it came out ... I do a ton of word processing on my iPad with the apple keyboard and have not had a single issue.

My 5s is supposed to be delivered on Wednesday and I will admit that reading all of the posts about the BSOD have scared me a bit. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

On order: Gold iPhone 5s 64GB
Ordered: September 20, 11am PST
Arrival date: October 16

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit