Iphone 5c storage: 16gb or 32gb

AnnC89

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I?m trying to get a new phone has the contract of my current one came to an end. I would like to get an iphone 5c white as I like the design and it?s actually affordable; however, I?m not sure what size I should get 16gb or 32gb.
I know the phone has been discontinued by Apple so the 32gb is almost sold out in the UK (specially in white, the color I would go for).

I never had an iphone so I have no idea of how much space the software actually takes up or even the apps and the other things such as photos and music. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 with 2gb of internal memory and a 16gb sd card. I don?t use a lot of apps and most of the apps I have on my phone are the ones I can?t figure out to delete as they came with the phone. I don?t watch films or tv shows on my phone; I have a few photos and a lot of music.

Could anyone please advice me on this? Is it really worth to get the 32 gb or would I be okay with the 16gb? I?m not too worried about not having space for photos as I would just have to compromise; however, I don?t want to sign a 24 month contract for a phone that, with new and updated apps, would get slower and slower.

Many thanks in advance,
Ann

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's better to have storage and not need it than need it and not have it... And 32GB models will hold its value better for potential resale later...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the 32 gb. Got it free with Verizon. She would have been fine with 16 gb. She's only used about 5 gb since March. Me...a different story. I need all the storage I can get. So with those 2 choices, I would get the 32 gb. The big difference for most people is music. If you want to put a lot of music on your phone, get the 32 gb.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Get the 32GB, it'll be impossible to find later. So it's worth more. Plus less space issues in the future too.

This is an older device but I think it'll be okay for another 2 years.

anon8433722

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I bounced around different phone models for the last year. I had an iPhone 5S 64GB before jumping ship to Android, getting caught up in the One (OnePlus) and LG G3. I even tried the Amazon Fire Phone. After getting screwed on a Nexus 5 I went to Windows Phone (GoPhone, Lumia 635) until I had my bearings. My wife allowed me to buy a new phone last week (granted with a budget) so I opted for an off-contract 5C.

The beauty of iOS is that while the hardware gets better over time, the experience essentially remains consistent across multiple devices. Software I had on my 5S runs just as well on the C. I was only able to find a "paltry" 16GB model but I don't foresee the need to cry about not having enough storage in the near future. I can stream my music online. I gamed a ton on my 5S but I've tempered my gaming habits since changing devices so frequently. If it's really worth it, I will download it. Otherwise, I will pass. Plus, I am getting a Nintendo 3DS XL for Christmas, so gaming will be replaced with that fine device.

8GB/16GB/32GB really depends on the type of user you are and how much content you need to have on your person at all times. I know tech savvy users that don't need hundreds of hours of music with them at all times. I also know techno fudge-its that live in fear of the end times coming next week and want every season of Big Love at their disposal.

I would recommend that devices with 8GB be outlawed. Most modern OS's take far too much of that space for their own purposes. If the device, OS, and app ecosystem support installing applications to external media and the phone can supplement it's sparse storage with a 32GB micro SD card it's OK. I would happily use an iPhone with 8GB storage (4GB user accessible) if it had expandable storage and offloaded installed apps to removable media, theoretically increasing your storage to as much as 128GB.

So in summary, I have the 16GB model. I have 3.7GB used and 8.9GB available. I have a handful of apps and games installed. Many of them I don't need and will likely prune over the holiday weekend. If I had a 32GB model I could keep movies installed to watch later. For now, I'll handle streaming them or encoding them for space savings and do only 1-2 at a time. I will stream my music. (I have a high data allowance) If 12GB or less of user-accessible storage freaks you out, don't buy the 16GB model. Just note that the 32GB model won't be dramatically better, just more convenient.

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I opted for the 32gb (blue) just over a year ago, I thought I was running out of storage, but by storing my photos on dropbox and backing them all up on my computer rather than icloud, I have plenty room. I have my favorite music files loaded on it, customized ring tones, and quite a few apps, and there's still plenty room left. I use icloud to backup my apps though.

I hope you've already made your decision but I thought I would put in my two cents worth just in-case you hadn't. :)

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The new iOS 8.1 takes around 4GB of storage and add in another 1GB for miscellaneous; and you have 16-5 or 11GB left or 32-5 or 27GB left for your own stuff!

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely get the 32GB version. When I got my iPhone 4, I opted for 16GB, but that proved to be too little space after more than a year (I don't feel comfortable with having less than 7-10GB of space available on my phone at all times).

cbosdell

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 16GB one and wish I had the 32GB. I'm down to only 3GB space without any music or books loaded but can't complain since I got a great deal on it. :)

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I’m trying to get a new phone has the contract of my current one came to an end. I would like to get an iphone 5c white as I like the design and it’s actually affordable; however, I’m not sure what size I should get 16gb or 32gb.
I know the phone has been discontinued by Apple so the 32gb is almost sold out in the UK (specially in white, the color I would go for).

I never had an iphone so I have no idea of how much space the software actually takes up or even the apps and the other things such as photos and music. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 with 2gb of internal memory and a 16gb sd card. I don’t use a lot of apps and most of the apps I have on my phone are the ones I can’t figure out to delete as they came with the phone. I don’t watch films or tv shows on my phone; I have a few photos and a lot of music.

Could anyone please advice me on this? Is it really worth to get the 32 gb or would I be okay with the 16gb? I’m not too worried about not having space for photos as I would just have to compromise; however, I don’t want to sign a 24 month contract for a phone that, with new and updated apps, would get slower and slower.

Many thanks in advance,
Ann

Get the 32 GB one. And the iphone will not slow down, unlike Android, over a period of time, with increasing usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73