iPhone 5c durability

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the iPhone 5c comes in a rugged-ish plastic casing, I suspect most of you out there to NOT have a case on the device. I don't own a 5c myself, but was wondering...

How is your iPhone 5c holding up? Many scratches, dents or dings on the outer casing? Or does it look as new as the day you took it out of the box?

Texcess

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had it since the week it came out and it looks the same as day 1. No scratches. No dulling of the lacquer coating. Beautiful handset, it truly is.

deedeebear

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I didn't use a case from day one and kind of regret it even though the 5c is very nice without a case. Reason why I regret it is because if you put the it under a light you can see the scratches. I was actually surprised by how many there were considering how careful I thought I was being with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

Suryo Pras

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I didn't use a case from day one and kind of regret it even though the 5c is very nice without a case. Reason why I regret it is because if you put the it under a light you can see the scratches. I was actually surprised by how many there were considering how careful I thought I was being with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

Are those scratches from your finger print or real friction?

Sent from my iPhone

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My first 5c had a hairline crack after a few weeks. Apple replaced it free.

So far my replacement is great, no scratches or cracks. I don't use a case. It seems durable to me. I would want to drop it on the face though.

blaser1

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
i'm probably jinxing myself here, but for the couple of days i've had mine with no case (never will put one ever!) NO SCRATCHES at all. the only bad part is the greasy fingerprint marks that get on the screen and on the back, but i can wipe that off whenever i want to

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My stepdaughter just trashed her second 5c in a less than a month. It's in a supposedly protective case, but she dropped it and the screen completely shattered. She replaced it out of her own pocket (because at&t's insurance is total crap), and just did the same exact thing again. Same thing happened to a friend of my wife's -- dropped their 5c, it fell backside down, and the screen completely shattered. In all the years my wife has owned iPhones, she's never had an issue like this. We all have Macs in the house along with several iPods and a couple of iPads, so it's not like I'm anti-Apple. But for the first time I'm very disappointed in an Apple product. I'm really starting to believe that the 'c' designation on this phone does indeed stand for 'cheap'.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Rather than exclaiming apple products are cheap have you considered these cases can only protect to a certain extent? And maybe your daughter should be more careful.

You can also try a different case such as an otterbox.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just dropped my 5C back down. The screen shattered, I have an appointment Friday with the Genius Bar.
Does anybody know what Apple charges to replace the screen?
I have a case by Moshi on the phone, but not a protective one.
Thanks

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just dropped my 5C back down. The screen shattered, I have an appointment Friday with the Genius Bar.
Does anybody know what Apple charges to replace the screen?
I have a case by Moshi on the phone, but not a protective one.
Thanks
In the UK, Apple I think that have just started to replace 5c screens instore for ?90 a time. Seems reasonable as I have seen 5c screens on sale for more than double that. With the right tools it is also a possible DIY job.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My 5c fell off of my lap as I was standing up to get out of my car in a parking garage. It landed screen down. Just a small line crack that's barely noticeable. Guess I'm lucky!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My 5c fell off of my lap as I was standing up to get out of my car in a parking garage. It landed screen down. Just a small line crack that's barely noticeable. Guess I'm lucky!

Be careful not to drop it again. That crack may have the windshield effect, and spread. 😉 I am rethinking my case options. If I may ask, what kind of case do you have on the phone?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Had my stores regional rep put a demo phone in. They tightened it a bit too much and this happened.... I'd say the screen can't handle much weight either. So don't sit on it. @_@

y9yve7ag.jpg
tuju5uge.jpg

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I find my 5c feel equally as tough, if not tougher than my 3GS was. No complaints at all about build quality, although it feels like the screen extends slightly beyond the bezel (without a case) which makes me a little nervous. I use a case with mine because I tend to put it screen down if I'm out for dinner or with company.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I find my 5c feel equally as tough, if not tougher than my 3GS was. No complaints at all about build quality, although it feels like the screen extends slightly beyond the bezel (without a case) which makes me a little nervous. I use a case with mine because I tend to put it screen down if I'm out for dinner or with company.

I feel that the body is more durable than most iPhones. The screen however, is not...

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest--I don't understand the reason the world is bashing the iPhone 5C.

The only reason I upgraded from a 4S to a 5C is because of the plastic backing.

I never drop my phones. I had my 4S for a little over a year, never used a case, never dropped it, and it wasn't scratched up.

However, it was slippery in the hands. But, I didn't want a case on it. I've never used cases on my phones.

So, when I went to Apple to feel the 5C, I immediately knew that was the write phone. The finish on the backing is superior to the metals/glasses used on the 5's.

I'm completely satisfied with my C. I have no need for fingerprint recognition, motion sensors, or a dual flash--I truly live life just fine with a 5C.

Money was not a factor in my decision. My decision was based upon how the device felt in my hand because, after all, i am the one using it.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Money wasn't a factor to me either. For me it was simply a beautiful color and it felt better in hand. I'm really happy with it because I have noticed that 5s does the respring and power button rattle (I sell phones).

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Like I mentioned in another thread. I bought the 5C on a whim.
The 5S was back ordered, so I went with the 5C.
And I am very happy with my choice.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods