iPhone 5 - won't turn on, won't recover. What can I do?

tanmatrika

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
iPhone 5 - won't turn on, won't recover

Hi!

Is there any hope in getting my iPhone 5 to turn on?

I bought it second hand, told that the battery would last me about 4 hours or so. In the 45 minute trip home, it went from 100%-0 without being used at all.

No problem, just get a good battery pack right?

That lasted about a month.

One day, even with a brand new, made for Apple battery pack, it wouldn't charge past 1%. I thought turning it off might be a good idea, but it won't turn on, or charge. I can put it in DFU mode, and it will be recognized by iTunes, and the Apple logo will come on, progress bar complete, but then it returns to the battery with small red bar pic. I was getting a 4006 error, but now itunes just ignores the iphone after it attempts the recovery. The error suggests that it is more an issue with the computer than the phone.

I took it to the genius bar, and when the service rep typed in the IMEI, he got a message saying this phone has been in for several appointments, not to offer further service. He said he couldn't tell if it was a battery or charging port issue. I was offered a refurbished iPhone 5 for $400.

Is my only option an unofficial battery/charging port replacement?

Any tricks I can try?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 - won't turn on, won't recover

Get the battery replaced, preferably via a nearby Apple Store. After that, I recommend you do a clean install of iOS and then set up the device as new.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanD