iPhone 5 water damage

Patchmb

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my phone into a hot bath for 5-10 seconds. Everything works except it won't pick up a network signal. Any chance it's the SIM card that's had it or should I just get a new phone ?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Lifeproof case from best buy, replace and grab one next time, just in case.

How do you like it? I have heard mixed reviews. I have one for my 4s and love it. I just got the 5 and ordered one from lifeproof. I hope it's as good.

pbarker123

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rice, rice, baby. Try burying it in rice for a while, although... it may be too late. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope its just the card.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the iPhone can seem to be working perfectly sometimes for weeks after something like this (or near perfect with bugs like you're experiencing), and then one day it'll just go completely dead...or some major part (like the screen) will crap out. It's always better if you have the means to, to replace the phone after it has been submerged in any kind of liquid because there just isn't a guarantee it will continue working for any amount of time.

That said...if you don't have a replacement available to you some how...the rice bag technique has worked for me personally and a few people i know very well. I had a 4 that i dropped in the toilet, the poor thing took the plunge and just stopped working all together. 24 hours in a rice bag and it started working perfectly again...no issues that i remember. This isn't always a sure bet, but if you're looking at no real option, this is certainly worth the time...the main success piece to this though is getting the phone completely shut down quickly and in the rice quickly...after the water has touched the boards that are active, that is when all hell breaks loose.

Good luck!

tawdryquirk

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
My husband dropped his iPhone 5 in water a couple weeks ago. Same thing where everything works fine except he has no cell signal. What do you think the chances are that it's just the antenna that needs replaced? Should I waste my time/money replacing that? Or should I just assume it's the motherboard that's been fried and start saving up for a new phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope Apple will consider this kind of problem by creating water proof iPhone. :rotfl:

Why? It's not Apple's fault that people drop their devices in water or get them wet and so they shouldn't be held responsible for those people's mishaps. They, like any other company, is in the business of providing products and services for a profit.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Why? It's not Apple's fault that people drop their devices in water or get them wet and so they shouldn't be held responsible for those people's mishaps. They, like any other company, is in the business of providing products and services for a profit.

D, I guess you didn't get the memo where Apple is responsible for every stupid thing that people do....

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, I guess you didn't get the memo where Apple is responsible for every stupid thing that people do....

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Apparently not...:)...I suppose it's the times we are living in, my friend...:)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Water proof phone? Nah, they'll have to make it life proof if they end up making the 6 as thin as mock ups would indicate.

As for the water damaged phone, I'd definitely get it replaced. You'd rather get another phone at leisure rather than in a panic. Don't risk waiting it out. I wouldn't anyways.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods