Iphone 5 vs 5S

Bj007pro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I know its likey somewhere on here already but.... I have an upgrade next week. Why should I get the 5S instead of the 5 when it's more expensive ? Most of the videos I've watched don't demonstrate a big difference. Thank you in advance.

I think you should get the 5S if you want to see some of the feature they have for iPhone 6 but if you want the iPhone 5 features just get the iPhone 5 then :) :yes: :yes: :yes:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok...I'm going to go on a tangent here (as off topic as this still is to the point of the original topic), and before I do, here's the link I just visited and watched this 20min. video you keep referencing...

The Golden Circle Theory - Simon Sinek Discusses How Great Leaders Inspire Action (VIDEO)

...so yes, I watched precisely what you are referencing and using to label me as a consumer.

Firstly, you are absolutely, 100% wrong in your assessment. Period. You are wrong. Why? How? I'll explain. The video describes how a company sells a product...specifically, how Apple sells a product differently to consumers vs. other companies (who haven't found the same success). The basis of the information says that a person is emotionally attached to the company before the products even come into place...it then goes on to a connection to the philosophy of the company and how the consumer believes in that philosophy...lastly, it describes how the consumer would ultimately buy the product offered because they would be it regardless of change, competitive products or innovation/lack there of.

So how were you wrong? Because I don't buy my products based on an idea. I don't buy my products based on visual representations, marketing strategy or the influence of "need" from corporate developers and designers. I'm not a person sold on words.

You want to know how and why I buy my products? It's completely and perfectly simple...

Because it works optimally for me. Period.

The iPhone/Macbook works in my life in better ways than other devices. The size, the OS, the app selection, the camera, etc etc etc. All of these things build to a preference. A PERSONAL preference...based on historic performance, based on customer service quality, based on reliability, based on ease of use, based on technological offering, based on integration with my other preferences (computers, car, etc). It's a personal preference, not a label.

I also buy products based on what I see as worth while investment. The 5S offers a range of new features over it's predecessor...it also presents a new product in the lineup which yields better resale value in the future. Do you realize that I probably would still have an iPhone 4S if iPhone's didn't sell so well on the private market? I haven't come out of pocket more than a negligible amount since the 3GS, and I continue to get the new iPhone's because they both offer new technology vs. the old, but they also essentially come gift wrapped to me...I'd do it with cars too if it would work, but unfortunately, as soon as I drive my car off the lot I'm sitting in a hole that I have to work my way out of, so I tend to make use of them for a far longer stretch.

Am I an early adopter? Absolutely. Sometimes to my ever lasting regret. I adopted HD-DVD when it was released because I enjoyed mating my high definition TV with a true high definition format. I spent a lot of money on it, and quite a bit more on the discs themselves...and then the tech died, and was overshadowed by blu-ray...I thoroughly love video games, so I'm always an early adopter in consoles. Are they the best outlet for playing specific games? Certainly not, computers can be a far superior outlet, but my preference is to have a console to play my games on...i buy the new consoles when they come out, and I enjoy them for the entertainment value I get out of them. I often like to share these experiences with people too, hoping that a person like myself might see something I express and take that into consideration when they are looking to purchase something.

I mean I wasn't aware that early adoption of technology equated to blind investment in an idea.

I'm a bit offended that you'd be so generalizing in your description of me. For one, you haven't discussed anything with me in any where NEAR enough detail to have an accurate deduction on the type of consumer I am. You've also not looked at the entire spectrum of consumer products I personally buy...and probably never would, because I don't really share them honestly unless someone asks. I'm typically not a person to brag or show off...and I'm certainly not a person who buys things in the simplistic nature of wanting others to see what I bought. Not at all.

You say that you didn't infer anything negative or attacking with your comment, but let's be honest here...that's exactly what you did, regardless of how you want to sugar coat it. You wanted to point out that you felt I was a person who bought products FIRST because I wanted people to know I had it first...I bought products based on this guy's "golden circle" idea, and idea that implies that a person really doesn't buy a product because of it's usefulness or offering, but because of what they are fed visually before a product is even in front of them. Basically, consumers that are sheep to put it bluntly.

Now no offense, but I literally couldn't care less what your degree is in...it gives you no real insight into why or how I buy things. Do I buy a new iPhone when it comes out every year? Certainly. Is part of the reason because I want to have the newest offering of the iPhone? Absolutely! But that logic could be applied to anything...new cars, new house, new TV, new boat...I mean I'm a tech junky, I like to have nice tech toys, and I spend a lot of money doing it. Do I do it so other people see that? Not even slightly. I don't care if you know I have a nice car or ride the bus to work...it just doesn't matter to me (unless you ask, and I care to tell you). You sit and explain how the chip set in the iPhone is not a big deal because you have a CompE degree...whoopty F'n doo. It's a better chip set than the iPhone 5, it offers more horsepower to the device itself, more function mated with the M7 chip and it continues the line of flawless performance from the iPhone that I have come to expect...while also balancing new technology and features found only on the 5S (in the Apple product lineup)

I'm honestly kind of done with the conversation. You had an inaccurate opinion and I just explained how you were wrong. Take it or leave it. I'm still quite curious why you felt the need to bring it up in this thread though...almost in a troll like nature...because looking at the subject matter of the thread, and my general response to it, your comment was kind of out of left field.

At no time did I say anything about any Apple product or component of Apple product being the "best" on the market...I don't make blanket statements like that unless I'm speaking about a product FOR ME specifically. I never have, and I never will.

Wut

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Sean, if you listened to the comment, he wasn't saying that people buy based on feelings he said that people buy things for themselves. Also, you stated you don't buy things based on words which was exactly his points. Thirdly I just was stating you are an early adopter as you stated you want the latest tech, like to have the latest, getting those users isn't the keys to success which was his point about that. Anyway man I don't even know you are arguing you are an early adopter by your own admission which if you stop being defense and stop looking at my post as an attack you'd get it.

GOTO 11:10 where he starts talking about the law of diffusion of innovation.

Finally, the fact that you are on iMore discussing about Apple means you do have some attachment to their products , you want to know what are they up to, what's their next big idea because you already have a belief in their products , moreover why are you getting upset about being a supporter or fan?

I can't be the only one thinking, "what is this guy's point?" Also, I don't know of a single person in any facet of my life that would by an Apple product based solely on "just because Apple makes it."

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't be the only one thinking, "what is this guy's point?" Also, I don't know of a single person in any facet of my life that would by an Apple product based solely on "just because Apple makes it."

So true.

This post was made by Tiffany

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I would say most do actually.

Why wouldn't they? Sure they wouldn't buy it if it was crap, but apple has built a reputation for building really nice items, so there name does sell itself a lot of times and I think it is justified.

If work for Allison transmission and they tell us this all the time. People pay more for our transmission because of our reputation and name.

Same is true with phones, if two phones were released and they cost the same and did the same thing and ran the same apps, lets say they are identical.(this could be more so for android, and windows computers)

Would you buy this non name or a Samsung, or would you buy the Apple product?

Most here would buy the apple product just because of the name and the reputation that comes with it.

It's not a bad thing as long as no one is blindly following a company.

We like their products and support them, kind of like what Sean said.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think for me, if I didn't get the newest version and I could afford to (or perhaps even if I couldn't afford to!) I would regret it. Of course it's still going to be out dated when the next version comes out, but only by one generation rather then two. Although the 5C is as new as the 5S, in my mind, it's still a generation behind. And the price difference isn't enought to make me think the 5C is a bargain!

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I would say most do actually.

Why wouldn't they? Sure they wouldn't buy it if it was crap, but apple has built a reputation for building really nice items, so there name does sell itself a lot of times and I think it is justified.

If work for Allison transmission and they tell us this all the time. People pay more for our transmission because of our reputation and name.

Same is true with phones, if two phones were released and they cost the same and did the same thing and ran the same apps, lets say they are identical.(this could be more so for android, and windows computers)

Would you buy this non name or a Samsung, or would you buy the Apple product?

Most here would buy the apple product just because of the name and the reputation that comes with it.

It's not a bad thing as long as no one is blindly following a company.

We like their products and support them, kind of like what Sean said.

You aren't getting my point. I mean, just because it says "Apple" I'm not going to go out and get it. I love Apple and their products, but I'm not buying ANY of their stuff until I hear word of mouth on how good it is. Example...the iPhone 6 comes out next and I'm due for an upgrade in January. I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Now, if everyone and their mother says it's stupid or horrible, I'm sure as heck not buying it. Would you?

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You aren't getting my point. I mean, just because it says "Apple" I'm not going to go out and get it. I love Apple and their products, but I'm not buying ANY of their stuff until I hear word of mouth on how good it is. Example...the iPhone 6 comes out next and I'm due for an upgrade in January. I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Now, if everyone and their mother says it's stupid or horrible, I'm sure as heck not buying it. Would you?

Trust me I get what you are saying and I agree, but I never said you, did I? As soon as the new iphone is announced most will rush out and buy it though, people on the forums might want to know if it is good or bad, but the majority will see a new iphone and want it regardless. It just so happens most of the time it is good.

When I bought the iphone 5 I had people asking me to show the me holographic keyboard. Lol.

It just shows must have no clue if it is good or bad, but they know it is apple and will want it.

So maybe you weren't getting my point, lol.

I wasn't trying to say you personally, sorry of you thought so. You just said you knew no one that bought it just because it was apple.

Heck take the MacBook for example, people will buy that because they have an iphone or and ipad and want their computer to be apple as well.

I bought my MacBook Pro because in part it was apple, it doesn't really add anything extra special from a windows laptop.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, if you listened to the comment, he wasn't saying that people buy based on feelings he said that people buy things for themselves. Also, you stated you don't buy things based on words which was exactly his points. Thirdly I just was stating you are an early adopter as you stated you want the latest tech, like to have the latest, getting those users isn't the keys to success which was his point about that. Anyway man I don't even know you are arguing you are an early adopter by your own admission which if you stop being defense and stop looking at my post as an attack you'd get it.

GOTO 11:10 where he starts talking about the law of diffusion of innovation.

Finally, the fact that you are on iMore discussing about Apple means you do have some attachment to their products , you want to know what are they up to, what's their next big idea because you already have a belief in their products , moreover why are you getting upset about being a supporter or fan?

If you're going to address me in the future, or what you observe about me...at least have the balls to actually say what you want to say without all this convoluted candy coating, lol. I'm finished with the discussion because I find your tactics a bit daft.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Trust me I get what you are saying and I agree, but I never said you, did I? As soon as the new iphone is announced most will rush out and buy it though, people on the forums might want to know if it is good or bad, but the majority will see a new iphone and want it regardless. It just so happens most of the time it is good.

When I bought the iphone 5 I had people asking me to show the me holographic keyboard. Lol.

It just shows must have no clue if it is good or bad, but they know it is apple and will want it.

So maybe you weren't getting my point, lol.

I wasn't trying to say you personally, sorry of you thought so. You just said you knew no one that bought it just because it was apple.

Heck take the MacBook for example, people will buy that because they have an iphone or and ipad and want their computer to be apple as well.

I bought my MacBook Pro because in part it was apple, it doesn't really add anything extra special from a windows laptop.

Fair enough, but I still know zero people that apply to that logic.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Based on articles I've read the 5S and the A7 is laying the ground work for the future in the development of Apple mobile devices.
One of the main concerns for Apple is battery life.
The A7 being more powerful than the A6 and also more power efficient in tandem with the M7.
Is the 5S getting it done with 1gig of ram? Yes. Can it benefit from more ram? Probably. But at the cost of batt life.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, if it's so ground breaking what does 64bit mean? Why aren't desktop processors greater than 64bit?

Is the A7 a great processor but not because it's 64bit. And Apple is not about future proofing because they want to sell you a new phone every year, why did it take so long for LTE, why so long in NFC, come on dude get your head out of your ... Apple makes awesome products but being the first or groundbreaking is not the key to their success? Was the iPad the first tablet, was the iPod the first MP3 player, contrary to popular belief the iPhone was not the first phone to combine mp3 plus phone functionality. Apple key is refinement of ideas? You probably think Siri was an apple invention , nope it was a purchased company that already was providing the app on Apple 2 years prior. Again, as it stands right now 64bits on processor is not a big deal, especially in mobile space because what mobile machines are used to. Even graphics, a mobile screen is small, powerful GPUs don't matter on small screens relatively speaking. But the improved graphic performance is because of the Gpus included not so much of the A7.

Finally, 64 bit arm processors are not new ARM which is the basis of Apple processors has been doing 64 bit designs for a couple years now, and they are found in other mobile devices and servers now that ArM is breaking into that space. You do know that the basis of Apple processors are designed by ARM and implemented by Apple. Apple is not a processor company. Anyway I digress if you think the A7 is revolutionary ok, it's more evolutionary, it's like when AMD extended x86 to 64bit, it was evolution of 32 bit x86. I don't need to tell you difference in the power this processor is not because it's 64 bit, in fact it will perform some things slower especially if it's an app that has not been updated.
My reply might not be as eloquent as Sean's, but SO! :rolleyes:
You have totally highjacked the OP's thread to argue your personal beliefs in technology, and making irrelevant points...
In an attempt to stay on topic, I would suggest the 5S simply because you only get to upgrade every couple of years. Why would you want to burn that upgrade on getting Apples second best phone? I know you can afford it because otherwise you wouldn't have posted this question if it wasn't obtainable...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The 5S will be a good investment. People don't buy things because a certain company makes them unless they are a fanboy. To me this really doesn't make sense because I only buy things that suit my needs and work properly.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, if it's so ground breaking what does 64bit mean? Why aren't desktop processors greater than 64bit?

Is the A7 a great processor but not because it's 64bit. And Apple is not about future proofing because they want to sell you a new phone every year, why did it take so long for LTE, why so long in NFC, come on dude get your head out of your ... Apple makes awesome products but being the first or groundbreaking is not the key to their success? Was the iPad the first tablet, was the iPod the first MP3 player, contrary to popular belief the iPhone was not the first phone to combine mp3 plus phone functionality. Apple key is refinement of ideas? You probably think Siri was an apple invention , nope it was a purchased company that already was providing the app on Apple 2 years prior. Again, as it stands right now 64bits on processor is not a big deal, especially in mobile space because what mobile machines are used to. Even graphics, a mobile screen is small, powerful GPUs don't matter on small screens relatively speaking. But the improved graphic performance is because of the Gpus included not so much of the A7.

Finally, 64 bit arm processors are not new ARM which is the basis of Apple processors has been doing 64 bit designs for a couple years now, and they are found in other mobile devices and servers now that ArM is breaking into that space. You do know that the basis of Apple processors are designed by ARM and implemented by Apple. Apple is not a processor company. Anyway I digress if you think the A7 is revolutionary ok, it's more evolutionary, it's like when AMD extended x86 to 64bit, it was evolution of 32 bit x86. I don't need to tell you difference in the power this processor is not because it's 64 bit, in fact it will perform some things slower especially if it's an app that has not been updated.

You seem to enjoy contradicting yourself you advice the OP to buy the lasted for future proofing but change your tune when others agree with you.

I could look up the definition of 64 bit and post it here but you will probably dispute it. I've met lots of people like you in my life you say what suits you most of your above post is bull probably what you heard and it makes you sound smart repeating it here.

I have no problem with it just stay on the thread topic and refrain from telling people to remove body parts from orifices if you want to remain a member of this Forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
If you're going to address me in the future, or what you observe about me...at least have the balls to actually say what you want to say without all this convoluted candy coating, lol. I'm finished with the discussion because I find your tactics a bit daft.

Dude get a grip on life, you think way too hard. 11:10 go to it

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know its likey somewhere on here already but.... I have an upgrade next week. Why should I get the 5S instead of the 5 when it's more expensive ? Most of the videos I've watched don't demonstrate a big difference. Thank you in advance.

It would all depend on what you plan to use the phone for. If you are just checking email, browsing the web, use social networks, and play light games then the 5 is more than enough to suit your needs. If you plan on using your phone to play highly detailed games, or use resource heavy apps like photo editing or apps similar to autocad then the 5S will suit your needs best.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
The 5S will be a good investment. People don't buy things because a certain company makes them unless they are a fanboy. To me this really doesn't make sense because I only buy things that suit my needs and work properly.

Do me favor go to the simon Sinek TED talk video, obviously you people must think you are fanboys, because that's not what Simon said. Watch the video and shut up. His TED talk says nothing about being a fanboy, it talks, about how leadership happens whether it was Apple or Martin Luther king, people follow what they have belief in. Essentially you have a belief sustem and Apple tapped into that, because they present an
Aligned belief system therefore you buy their products. People buy for themselves not because of what a company says they have, like specs, etc... It's belief in the Apples reason for producing products that you purchase, because people see these products as an extension of their own beliefs. Finally, I said Sean is an early adopter... Really that's all I was commenting on. Because Sinek said success is not defined by early adopters, these folks by the latest tech because is the latest tech, they get technology you don't have to explain it to them ...But they aren't the drivers of company success.

Anyway, I have a bunch of people bytching abou being fanboys when that's not what I said or if you watched the video was said. Apparently you must think you are.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You seem to enjoy contradicting yourself you advice the OP to buy the lasted for future proofing but change your tune when others agree with you.

I could look up the definition of 64 bit and post it here but you will probably dispute it. I've met lots of people like you in my life you say what suits you most of your above post is bull probably what you heard and it makes you sound smart repeating it here.

I have no problem with it just stay on the thread topic and refrain from telling people to remove body parts from orifices if you want to remain a member of this Forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

How did I change my tune, A7, is the best iphone processor, it is more future proof than buying the 5s A6? A 64 bit processor is not a huge deal in the Mobile space because of what you do on your mobile machine. Nor is it the first. Nor does making a 64 bit variant of a processor inherently make it faster than ab32 bit processor. gPU will make much bigger difference in the one really intensive thing people currently do gaming. Speech recognition , biometric security is where I see 64bit processing coming in handy , user applications not so much unless w change what we do on our phones, if anything maybe tablets will gain the most. My pint is you aren't rendering avatar on your phone. Either case none my statements are contradictions.

The 5s processor is better it will serve longer, that does not mean the A7 revolutionized the market. It's evolutionary and it's only 1 implementation of ARM64. Nor is it the first.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The 5s is veryyyyyy much better!! ( I didn't noted anything since i moved to 5s. Lol. I love the fingerprint to unlock and sign at apple store)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh