Iphone 5 Lighting charger cable

bustermin

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased 2 iphone 5's and an iPad on June 1st 2013 and since then we have gone thru about 1-2 lightning cables every month to month and a half!!! At $20 a pop recently I have started buying the generic cables from places other than apple. Why do they stop working so easily? And it always breaks at the same spot right by the part that plugs into the phone. I never had this trouble with the older style cables or any other style cable. I would expect at the cost that apple charges they would last longer or at least have some type of warranty but apple tells me too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Like to be able to give you an answer, but have never had an issue with any of the cables and have all the originals.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What do I have to do to get the warranty? I took several of then in and was told that that do not warranty cables?

I'm surprised that happened. Taking them in is what your suppose to do.
As far as I know everything in the box is covered under the basic product warranty.
I've never had a cable fail in less than a few years so I've never taken one in.

bustermin

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised that happened. Taking them in is what your suppose to do.
As far as I know everything in the box is covered under the basic product warranty.
I've never had a cable fail in less than a few years so I've never taken one in.
I can't seem to get one to last. I purchased 2 this past Sunday 2/16/14 and one of them has already failed. I will try and return it tomorrow and see what happens. I just can't believe how many I have been thru since switching to the iphone 5
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1392701843.353259.jpg

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only Apple lighting cable I have is the one that came with my 5S.
I never move it. It stays plugged to a wall charger. I have a few others that I travel with that are not Apple. A ifrogz in my car and a Sprint branded.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1392744663.775503.jpg
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1392744767.869509.jpg
OP maybe you should try something like this. Twelve South Charging stand or a charging cradle of some sort

Sent from my GOLD iPhone 5s using iMore Forums app

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a case or something that is putting pressure on the part you hold when you plug it in?
I manage a repair shop and none of our cables have gone bad and we use a lot and are constantly plugging and unplugging them.
We use OEM and higher quality aftermarket. All are lasting and working well.

Something on your end has to be causing the issue since its been happening so frequently.

RoCutler

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had one failure, and I went in to the Apple Store, they replaced it without an issue.
Not sure why you're getting refused, got the receipt and packaging?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We have 3 and never had any issues with them. I always grab it by the plastic and pull, never from the cable itself. Even traveling with 3 of them together, they never look like that pile either. How did they get so tangled? I make mine into a nice circle whenever I have to pack them and they stay looking like new...

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I purchased 2 iphone 5's and an iPad on June 1st 2013 and since then we have gone thru about 1-2 lightning cables every month to month and a half!!!

If you're getting through cables at this speed, the problem is obviously not with the cables but you!

You are obviously bending, kinking the cables or not holding them correctly when inserting/removing them (i.e. holding them by the plug).

As others have said, I've used my cable for nearly 18 months and it is as good as new.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Funny for me that I had 2 lightning charger from my iPhone 5 and my iPad mini.. Till this day I am using my iPhone 5 charger which I got a couple month after the iPhone 5 was released.. And I kept my iPad mini charger unused until about a month ago I start to use it and it has only lasted me a month.. Now looking to get a new one before my other one decides to go out on me to haha

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had problems where they wear out near the connection point. Has to do with using the phone or tablet while it's plugged in and twisting them as a result. I went through a few 30-pin cables that way.

One other thing you can do if they won't exchange them is fix them using electric tape (or pre-reinforce them with electric tape)...

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Never had an issue with myself, but my animal little sister broke the one she got with my old 5. The Lightning head separated from the cable.

Sent from my Space Gray AT&T iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73