iPhone 5 charge/listen to music in car

matt444444

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I bought the 30-pin to lightning adapter but have no way to charge the phone in my car. Is there some type of connector that will let me combine the 30 pin and a car plug charger and convert it to a lighting plug? Are there any options do solve this problem?

thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure why you needed the 30 pin to lightning adapter if you have an iPhone 5. It sounds like what you're looking for is just a usb power inverter that goes in your car's power plug.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you needed the 30 pin to lightning adapter if you have an iPhone 5. It sounds like what you're looking for is just a usb power inverter that goes in your car's power plug.

I was having a hard time interpreting what the op was saying but I believe you've nailed it. You can pick one of these up pretty cheap just about anywhere. I bought a 30 pin cable and DC adapter for $10 at Walmart for my lady's car. I'm sure they have just the plug for not very much money.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think the OP has an integrated 30pin cable in the car. Not all of the car manufacturer cables will work with the iPhone5.

What I do is use a BT adaptor to Aux for my car and the regular lighting cabe in a USB charging plug.

matt444444

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I was having a hard time interpreting what the op was saying but I believe you've nailed it. You can pick one of these up pretty cheap just about anywhere. I bought a 30 pin cable and DC adapter for $10 at Walmart for my lady's car. I'm sure they have just the plug for not very much money.

sorry, let me be more clear. I have a 30 pin ipod connector in my car and in order to make it work with my iphone 5, I am using the 30 pin to lightning adapter. As we all know it doesn't charge, and I am assuming the reason it wont charge is because the voltage isn't high enough. So I was wondering if there is an adapter that will accept a 30 pin as well as a separate power source (like a usb plug from the cigarette lighter for ex) so I can then plug my phone into this adapter and it will play music and charge.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
sorry, let me be more clear. I have a 30 pin ipod connector in my car and in order to make it work with my iphone 5, I am using the 30 pin to lightning adapter. As we all know it doesn't charge, and I am assuming the reason it wont charge is because the voltage isn't high enough. So I was wondering if there is an adapter that will accept a 30 pin as well as a separate power source (like a usb plug from the cigarette lighter for ex) so I can then plug my phone into this adapter and it will play music and charge.

I see. Does the vehicle have an aux input as well?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 30pin-to-lightning converter that I use on my iHome that I got about five years ago. It charges my iPhone 5 just fine. The charging requirements for the iPhone 5 vs older units are the same. I'm even using the same Apple provided wall warts with my new iPhone that I used with my first iPhone, the 3GS. Looking at the specs for them (embossed on the wall warts themselves) they are functionally identical.

So if your iPhone 5 is not charging, it's not merely because of the converter, something else is wrong.

My car setup is essentially the same as bamf-hacker. I have a BlueTooth "converter" plugged into the AUX input on my car stereo and a Lightning charger plugged into the iPhone.

ebarne

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the OP has an integrated 30pin cable in the car. Not all of the car manufacturer cables will work with the iPhone5.

What I do is use a BT adaptor to Aux for my car and the regular lighting cabe in a USB charging plug.

Hi- which BT to Aux are you using? I am using a Belkin and although the music/ audio is perfect, the mic for calls is dreadful

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Where's the microphone for that and how does it sound for calls? I've got one of these: Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: Cell Phones & Accessories which has the mic in the big button that attaches to the dashboard. Sounds great for music, but is barely passable for phone calls.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Depends on placement. When I have it in the rear cigarette lighter it is pretty bad. When I have it in the front cigarette lighter it is passable. I however do not use it for phone calls, I use it only for audio streaming. I have a Plantronics Legend for my calls.

ebarne

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Depends on placement. When I have it in the rear cigarette lighter it is pretty bad. When I have it in the front cigarette lighter it is passable. I however do not use it for phone calls, I use it only for audio streaming. I have a Plantronics Legend for my calls.

Appreciate the response- would be great if there was a solution that would provide a solid mic...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods