iPhone 5 - Broken Mic?

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought a used iPhone 5 off of Craigslist last Friday. It powered up, activated at Verizon store just fine, made a call, etc. However, on Sunday when I needed to talk to someone, the mic wouldn't work. I could hear the other person, but they could not hear me. The speakerphone, Facetime, and Siri all responded correctly, but my voice could not be heard by the other person. I checked the Voice Memos app and it didn't pick anything up when recording and a decibel app stayed relatively steady at about 30db.

So, I did a complete restore on the phone Monday night and set it up as a new phone. The microphone worked then when recording a voice memo that night. The next morning I was making a voice call on my way to work and the microphone worked for about two minutes and then quit. I had to use the speakerphone again.

I did two restores last night on the phone and neither one of them got the microphone back working. I can still use Siri, Facetime, and the speakerphone, but the regular microphone is out.

Is this possibly a software issue since it worked after one restore? I have read that for some phones iOS 7 killed the microphone and I am hoping that this is the case with mine and that 7.1 will correct this, but who knows. I took it to a local repair shop and the owner told me that it may be software as he saw it with AT&T phones, but not Verizon and to try the restore again (which I did last night). He said to replace the ribbon, it would be $100. I really don't want to have to go that route, but if I have to, I will.

Anyone else have this problem? Have I exhausted all of my options and just need to suck it up and pay for the ribbon repair?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the EarPods/mic combo that comes with an iPhone? If so, insert the connector into the earphone jack and initiate a call. Afterwards, remove the EarPods and initiate another call to see whether or not your call will be somehow muted.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the EarPods/mic combo that comes with an iPhone? If so, insert the connector into the earphone jack and initiate a call. Afterwards, remove the EarPods and initiate another call to see whether or not your call will be somehow muted.

I do, but I didn't think to do that. I'll have to do that this evening.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Will do. I'm just really not sure what is causing it. I find it extremely odd that it worked after a restore, then just quit working.
I hear ya. When you restored it, did you put the device in DFU mode and restored it via iTunes or did you just go to Settings-General-Reset and select Reset All Contents and Settings? If the latter, try the former. Doing so will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of iOS.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya. When you restored it, did you put the device in DFU mode and restored it via iTunes or did you just go to Settings-General-Reset and select Reset All Contents and Settings? If the latter, try the former. Doing so will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of iOS.

I restored it with iTunes. It downloaded the full 600MB or so file. I figured that would be the cleaner, better route. And it was...for about 10 hours.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So I didn't try the microphone with the earbuds. Instead, my case was delivered today so I put it on and it seemed to solve the problem. Looks like there was an issue with the back microphone for the "noise canceling". Since it has been covered up, the regular microphone has worked just fine. It must be a design flaw or something, but I can live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It corrected the issue for a few days. Now, even after the iOS 7.1 update it didn't correct the problem. I did install the update OTA instead of a restore. Should I try a restore before getting the mic replaced or just suck it up?

Steve 1234

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
It corrected the issue for a few days. Now, even after the iOS 7.1 update it didn't correct the problem. I did install the update OTA instead of a restore. Should I try a restore before getting the mic replaced or just suck it up?

I have a similar problem except my mic doesn't work at all for anything calls,FaceTime,memo. I replaced the ribbon cable, charge port as it is all one piece. It did nothing. I tried updating to iOS 8. My next step is to restore it from iTunes.

I bought it with a broken screen. Sopposedly it was thrown at the wall. I would not recommend trying to work on your device yourself. I am an IT professional. You have to be extremely careful the slightest move can break something. Samsung is a lot easier to work on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods