Iphone 4s set-up problem

Handyanne

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I've just got a secondhand, factory reset and supposedly unlocked replacement 4S for my sadly deceased 4S, which I've had since they came out.

Stupidly, I made an error right at the start of the setup and, instead of going with the mobile network, input my home broadband details instead. The phone is saying it's not compatible with my SIM and and can't activate unless it's unlocked. Could this be because of networking with my broadband instead of the mobile network?

How can I change this to the mobile network please? There is a function to change to another network, but it doesn't give the mobile option any more and I've no idea what the details for manual input are. I've tried a hard reset, but that doesn't go back to the original options either.

All the online stuff about changing networks assumes access to the Settings section, but of course that's only available when the phone is activated.

I need to get this resolved asap, as if the phone hasn't actually been unlocked by its previous owner, I have to get on to them immediately.

I hope someone can please get me out of this mess!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've just got a secondhand, factory reset and supposedly unlocked replacement 4S for my sadly deceased 4S, which I've had since they came out.

Stupidly, I made an error right at the start of the setup and, instead of going with the mobile network, input my home broadband details instead. The phone is saying it's not compatible with my SIM and and can't activate unless it's unlocked. Could this be because of networking with my broadband instead of the mobile network?

How can I change this to the mobile network please? There is a function to change to another network, but it doesn't give the mobile option any more and I've no idea what the details for manual input are. I've tried a hard reset, but that doesn't go back to the original options either.

All the online stuff about changing networks assumes access to the Settings section, but of course that's only available when the phone is activated.

I need to get this resolved asap, as if the phone hasn't actually been unlocked by its previous owner, I have to get on to them immediately.

I hope someone can please get me out of this mess!!

Something’s not right here. What do you mean you inputted your home broadband details at the start of the setup? If your SIM is installed in the device, it will automatically detect your carrier’s wireless signal. If the device is not compatible with your SIM then either the device is locked to another carrier or the SIM is defective or unsupported., in my opinion.

Handyanne

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your reply.

At the beginning of the set-up process, you have to select Language and then Country. The next screen asks to set up a wifi network and it shows the available networks, plus the mobile network. I selected my broadband network and it accepted that as my chosen wifi network. I don't know if I should have chosen the mobile network, but can't now get it to offer that option.

The next screen tries to activate the phone - with my service provider, I assume, or who?? - and it comes up with a message that says the SIM isn't supported and is not recognised by the activation server.

I don't know whether that is because I chose the wrong wifi network or because, as you say, the phone isn't actually unlocked at all. I suspect the latter myself, but need to be absolutely sure before I go back complaining to the seller.

The SIM is fresh out of my old phone, so I know it's ok.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can do it yourself. It’s as simple as connecting the charger cable to phone and computer and start iTunes. In there choose ‘Restore’.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner