iPhone 4S Lock button wakes then sleeps

kfan12

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was curious whether or not others have the same problem as I do. Ocasionally when I go to hit my power/lock button to wake my iPhone 4S the phone will wake up and then go back to sleep. It doesn't always happen but when it does it can get sorta annoying. Repressing the lock button a second time usually wakes the phone back up without it going back to sleep right after. It seems like this normally occurs when the phone is in deep sleep. The funny thing is I never have this problem waking the phone up with the home button. The phone is jailbroken on 5.0.1 and I have a Otterbox Commuter case on it if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that what it is suppose to do unless you've unlocked it and have started using the device? Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, heres a better description....

When I click either the home button or power button, the screen lights up and turns back off immediately rather than the 5-10 seconds.

tinktink09is

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was curious whether or not others have the same problem as I do. Ocasionally when I go to hit my power/lock button to wake my iPhone 4S the phone will wake up and then go back to sleep. It doesn't always happen but when it does it can get sorta annoying. Repressing the lock button a second time usually wakes the phone back up without it going back to sleep right after. It seems like this normally occurs when the phone is in deep sleep. The funny thing is I never have this problem waking the phone up with the home button. The phone is jailbroken on 5.0.1 and I have a Otterbox Commuter case on it if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Mine has never been jailbroken but I too have the same issue at random times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4S, never jailbroken, been having this problem since day 1. Happens at least once a day and annoys the hell out of me.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This USED to happen to me but then got fixed with an update to Intelliscreenx awhile back. Score one for jailbreakers.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced this occasionally too. It doesn't bother me that much though because you can just turn it right back on after it does this and it's fine.

kfan12

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I feel a lot better now that I know I'm not the only one with this issue! But at the same time I wonder if this is related to the iPhone being jailbreaking?

Edit: Oops, must have missed some post from people who aren't/weren't jailbroken and have the same issue.

Last edited:

kfan12

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that what it is suppose to do unless you've unlocked it and have started using the device? Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

It isn't where it sleeps after X amount of time. It's literally right after I hit the lock button to wake up the device.

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced this occasionally too. It doesn't bother me that much though because you can just turn it right back on after it does this and it's fine.

The point is, it shouldn't happen. These are supposed to be the "perfect" phones as Apple and all its users advertise it....yet it has a stupid little problem like this. Unacceptable.

Last edited:

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The point is, it shouldn't happen. These are supposed to be the "perfect" phones as Apple and all its users advertise it....yet it has a stupid little problem like this. Unacceptable.

First world problems...

Lol I just don't think it's too terribly big of an issue. It takes, what, 1 second away from your life to turn it back on? I hardly think this bug really pulls this amazing phone down to "unacceptable" =P

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it is a bit annoying, as it happens to me a couple of times a week, but I think every touch screen phone I've had has done it. All of my Android devices have, my old iP4 did, and now my iP4s does. I can tell you it is far more frequent on Android in my experience, often times I would have to attempt to unlock my Razr Maxx 4-5 times in a row before the screen would actually stay on and allow me to unlock it.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it is a bit annoying, as it happens to me a couple of times a week, but I think every touch screen phone I've had has done it. All of my Android devices have, my old iP4 did, and now my iP4s does. I can tell you it is far more frequent on Android in my experience, often times I would have to attempt to unlock my Razr Maxx 4-5 times in a row before the screen would actually stay on and allow me to unlock it.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

Throw all the shots you want at Android. I owned a variety of Android devices running Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread & Honeycomb and if this problem ever happened it was a once a week/once a month thing, not 1+ times daily.
My rooted HTC Incredible 2 was running a perfect OS and I never, and I mean never had any bug like a screen flicker.

Don't think I'm making this out to be some huge deal....but I fall back on my original point, that Apple and its users claim this to be a "perfect" device so naturally, a screen flicker isn't acceptable. Hopefully their next update will fix this (which i'm glad I switched to iPhone after they finally can update OTA, plugging in to update is stone ages).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73