iPhone 4s and Blackberry 9900

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I?m lucky (or unlucky) enough to have an iPhone 4s and a Blackberry 9900 and have really been trying to get on the hype band wagon of liking the 4s, but have been failing miserably!

First off, real life apps (such as Wakeful my alarm, for example) which work flawlessly on my 9900 just fail on the iPhone. I?m not sure if this is the phone?s fault or the app developers fault but it is a problem. I?m talking, as I said, about real life applications, I have a life and a job etc, so really don?t care about Angry Birds and the like. I don?t have time to play all day on a phone, I just want something that works.

Connectivity is more of an issue with the iPhone, especially with WIFI. The BB seems to connect immediately and stay connected, the iPhone is constantly dropping WIFI. As I search the net, I see this is a problem for many and no concrete solutions seem to be available.

The iPhone key pad is not bad for a touch screen I must admit. However there is no doubt that the physical keyboard of the 9900 is far superior for typing. After a while on the 9900, you can type without looking similar to a computer keyboard or typewriter. Again, I mean especially for longer emails etc at work. I send a few text messages but again, I personally don?t have time for that. If I need to converse, I can call.

It seems that every song, tone etc I would like to put on my iPhone has to be done thru iTunes, and not just any iTunes but the one that is synced to my particular phone? Hard to do when your away from home.

Mentioning away from home, the iPhone is locked to one carrier and the 4s is unlockable. When I travel, I can?t simply insert the local carriers SIM and carry on. I know you can buy roaming add ons but, why would I want the extra expense?

Other than changing wallpapers, it seems there is not much customization I can do to the iPhone. At present there is no Jailbreak for the 4s, and if there was if I was to jailbreak it, I void my warranty! Seems like everything must go thru Apple by design, I can?t even get a Kindle book without going thru Apple!

If you have an iPhone and like it, good for you. My opinion though is that it has a long way to go to catch up with the modern BB as an honest to goodness workhorse. It is a great gaming device if you?re bored and have nothing to do, but most of us aren?t, hopefully that bored!

I?m not looking to troll or be convinced that the iPhone is better and I doubt you can convince me anyway, I?m just stating my opinion and why I can?t be sucked into the iPhone hype that Apple and to a degree, the media has brought to the public. Perhaps a future OS upgrade can help, but I suppose that is once again up to Apple.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Again, IMO:

If you have an iPhone and like it, good for you. My opinion though is that it has a long way to go to catch up with the modern BB as an honest to goodness workhorse. It is a great gaming device if you?re bored and have nothing to do, but most of us aren?t, hopefully that bored!

I?m not looking to troll or be convinced that the iPhone is better and I doubt you can convince me anyway, I?m just stating my opinion and why I can?t be sucked into the iPhone hype that Apple and to a degree, the media has brought to the public. Perhaps a future OS upgrade can help, but I suppose that is once again up to Apple.

I agree with Garz. There is a reason why RIM is falling by the wayside. And falling quickly.

Ahmed.T.Ghon

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Though, I haven't used BB9900 yet, but I think you're right to some extents regarding some copyright issues and some backlashes that apple has. And they aren't trying to shake off those from their shoulder. As this is also their brand ego. Until now, it seems to me that they are fully determined to keep a good distance from the regular mobile market. How long they could stay away from billions of general and low budgeted mobile users, this is the question.

New era began and looking for new iPhone release. How Tim Cook handles the Apple, this would decide it's future business.:rolleyes:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Again, IMO:

My iPhone is not a toy. I use Citrix, connect using RDP, I can use TN5250, do basic autoCAD functions (which is hard to use on a phone BTW) and also use it as a toy. So yeah, I think that's a production workhouse. Granted I'm probably a minority in using my phone this way, but don't go around implying that iOS is a toy. I don't care about themes, customized profiles and a hard keyboard or an annoying LED notification light.

You come to this site defending your platform via opinion, and I do not believe you are doing it in a trolling way, but expect to challenged and viewed as one by some of us.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
See, that's the thing........... I have both platforms and I am simply stating why I'm having a hard time getting on the iPhone band wagon; I personally don't find it as reliable or user "friendly" or as great a world travelling device as Blackberry. There is nothing wrong with an iPhone, my point rather is that it is not the be all, end all as many would try and have us believe because they've never had to leave home and travel, but they enjoy the games and the like. I keep hearing of all the apps for an iPhone, and there are lots without a doubt, but any real productive apps are also available for the other platforms, often working better.

R...

You come to this site defending your platform via opinion, and I do not believe you are doing it in a trolling way, but expect to challenged and viewed as one by some of us.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Again, IMO:

I love when people call iPhones toys. :rolleyes: I'm more productive on my iPhone than I am on my Storm2. I work as a medical coder and there are several ASA and coding apps that are available on iOS but not on my Storm2. While I'm not as connected as Ghostface is with email and stuff, the fact that I can quickly look up an ASA code on my iPhone has been a life saver for coding a procedure that I don't see often enough to remember the code.

Yes, I also play games on my iPhone. I have the obligatory Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Words on my iPhone, but the vast majority of the day is spent using my ASA code app and ther other app I use for coding, not gaming.

But like Garz said, it's all an opinon and this is mine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Wait, forgot to mention this. I do work full time. Married. Have a life. But I love my Angry Birds and ect. :D:D:D And as Steve Jobs use to say, "it just works."

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
...not to mention you can JB the 4S (where has the OP been?)...and customize it in more ways than you could with a BB (in my opinion). I used to design themes for BBs so I know firsthand how you have to download an entire THEME just to get changes. w/ the 4s you can customize and tweek just about anything from icons, to status bars, lockscreens, etc etc etc. Way more customize options than you could ever want (or need some would say).

my 4S connects and stays connected to WiFi no problem. In fact, I find that it tries to connect to WiFi networks when I'm out and about (which sometimes gets annoying) but it simply WORKS.

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I am looking into getting an iPhone coming from Blackberry so I was excited to read this thread but by the time I got to the end of it, I knew he would be labeled as a troll and I would get very little knowledge. Oh well...since I do not exactly what search words to put in, can someone give me a few threads like this but maybe a little less trollish and not so much "My platform is better" attitude?

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
There' an untethered JB for the 4s on 5.1.1??? I must be living under a rock! Please post the link ASAP so the rest of us can try it! Thanks.

R...

...not to mention you can JB the 4S (where has the OP been?)...and customize it in more ways than you could with a BB (in my opinion). I used to design themes for BBs so I know firsthand how you have to download an entire THEME just to get changes. w/ the 4s you can customize and tweek just about anything from icons, to status bars, lockscreens, etc etc etc. Way more customize options than you could ever want (or need some would say).

my 4S connects and stays connected to WiFi no problem. In fact, I find that it tries to connect to WiFi networks when I'm out and about (which sometimes gets annoying) but it simply WORKS.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
There' an untethered JB for the 4s on 5.1.1??? I must be living under a rock! Please post the link ASAP so the rest of us can try it! Thanks.

R...

5.1.1 JB is suppose to be available to the mass tomorrow. Current JB only does 5.0.1.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Garz. I knew that and was just poking fun at some of the smarta**es out there. I probably shouldn't have done that because I didn't want this thread to get into a contest, but that's what it seems to have become as usual! So far no one has given any solid advice, but it's become another "my iPhone is better, because......... " thread and that wasn't/isn't my intent. I need convincing, because as I stated originally, I have the luxury of both of the best phones on the market IMO. So far none of the replies have done that......

R...

5.1.1 JB is suppose to be available to the mass tomorrow. Current JB only does 5.0.1.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Garz. I knew that and was just poking fun at some of the smarta**es out there. I probably shouldn't have done that because I didn't want this thread to get into a contest, but that's what it seems to have become as usual! So far no one has given any solid advice, but it's become another "my iPhone is better, because......... " thread and that wasn't/isn't my intent. I need convincing, because as I stated originally, I have the luxury of both of the best phones on the market IMO. So far none of the replies have done that......

R...

You noted that the iPhone isn't customizable and I pointed out that if you JB your phone, the possibilities are endless with regards to customizing your phone. So to say you knew that the 4s was able to be JB'd, I relied that you could.

what solid advise are you looking for? Like I said, I was a rapid BB user for years- developed and sold lots and lots of themes for different BBs.. but to get anything custom on a BB, you are stuck downloading and entire theme and if you dont like certain things about the theme, well you're stuck! unless you design your own theme, then you can change whatever you want- but again, it's all rolled into one theme. With a JB'd iPhone, you literally have no limits on how you can customize your phone. Try that on any BB...

My advise would be to JB your iphone, do some tweeks, customizations, etc and then compare the two.

owlyn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your mind is made up so I don't know why you are asking, but I was a BB user for about 5 years. I made the switch earlier this year and haven't looked back. I find typing on the iPhone to be faster than with the physical keyboard on the Bold. Everything else just works flawlessly and quickly. You almost never have to reboot the phone, as compared to the daily boots on the BB. I would recommend the iPhone 4s to anyone.

RIM is dying anyway- you may as well make the change.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods