IPhone 4 Won't Turn On

I

iMore Question

My away-at-college son's Verizon iPhone 4 won't turn on (3 week out of warranty, of course). Verizon store people say they can't do anything if it won't turn on, but a neighbor says she had a similar problem and Apple had a software patch that fixed it. Can anyone confirm and point me towards this software patch? (or any other suggestions short of buying a new phone). Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My away-at-college son's Verizon iPhone 4 won't turn on (3 week out of warranty, of course).
Of course...;)
Verizon store people say they can't do anything if it won't turn on, but a neighbor says she had a similar problem and Apple had a software patch that fixed it. Can anyone confirm and point me towards this software patch? (or any other suggestions short of buying a new phone). Thanks.
I've never heard of the software patch that you mentioned. How would it be applied if the phone can't be powered on? Have your son plug in the iPhone for about an hour, and then plug in to his computer via USB, then press and hold both the power button and the home button until the Apple logo appears.

LLRSB468

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had the same question re how could patch be applied w/o power on working, but neighbor insisted so I decided to ask experts (i.es., you guys).

My son says he has tried long re-charge then pressing/holding both buttons with no success; I will have him try again when I hear from him. (We can't call or text him, obviously, so have to wait until he borrows a phone and calls us. I am sending him an email with your suggestion.)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple really doesn't release "patches" in the way you would normally view a patch...they release full firmware updates across the spectrum of user (which inherently includes patches and bug fixes to various things...not just one). I would suggest finding out if his iPhone was fully updated to the latest firmware version, but seeing that it won't turn on, that would be a problem, lol. He should try a full restore via iTunes (hopefully he has a recent back up via iCloud or manual in iTunes)...if this restore function (in DFU mode) doesn't solve the issue, you may have a bricked phone...understand though that this is not very common in the iPhone world, so chances are a restore will probably work at least in the light of getting it on again. Functionality wise, that's another story...just make sure if he gets it on, that he also gets the firmware updated to the newest version.

LLRSB468

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have passed on your suggestions and earlier ones to younger son out at USC for him to follow through. Will let you guys know how it works. Really appreciate the help.

pulu-mt

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4, A1332 loaded with the latest Ios 7.04, with the following symptoms:
Occasional freezing, and /or reboot
Sometimes, and only sometimes, the back cover gets warm, when charging.
Now, today, switched it completely off, and connected the charger. It is prompting me to connect to iTunes, and is advising me to re-install ios.
I did re-instal a fresh copy, but still the same !
Is it the battery, or the hardware ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that it is the battery. When you reinstalled iOS, did you restore from a backup afterwards? If so, reinstall it a third time, but this time, set it up as new.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro