iPhone 4 waiting for activation

Frankless24

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I got my iphone 4 today at the att store:D but i took it home plugged it into itunes and set it up as a new iphone instead of from a back up from my 3gs and now i suddenly have no service. when i activated it it said it was activated, but i just have no service, but when i left att it was working fine and able to use data and make phone calls. i tried resetting network settings and i even restored it after calling both att and apple for both of them too tell me the phone was activated on their end and should be working. soo i restored again and all i get it a message that says "waiting for activation this may take some time. i don't know what to do i am planning on taking it back to the att store tomorrow. anyone know what is going on and how to fix this.

JamesC1119

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on? When my friend activated his iPhone 4 he had to power cycle it about 30 minutes after activation for it to take effect. Good luck.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Cannot Activate

My iPhone 4 came today; 11am. Apparently AT&T still cannot handle success. Activation neither completed nor timed out after an hour and a half. Syncing my old iPhone now. Will try activation again when that is over. (Yes, I am on the latest version of iTunes.)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Win7 and iPhone 4

Gave up after several hours. Called AT&T. Big mistake. Do not do that.

The rep moved the number from the old SIM to the new one. Old phone is now dead. iTunes will not recognize the new one. One is dead, the other is not activated.

The best option that the guy could give me was to try to activate on a different computer. Another was to do a cold boot. Neither of these worked.

Cannot even jailbreak this brick. Goes on the shelf with the that Palm Treo 680 that I never used. Have iOS on the old phone. Cannot even jailbreak it.

Any ideas?

1 hour later

Well, I got Apple support on the line. They got AT&T on the line. By this time I had installed iTune 9.2 on another machine (XP; the first one was Win7.) Low and behold, that worked. iPhone 4 is being "restored" on the Win7 machine as we speak and where it has about 6 minutes to go. Then all I have to do is transfer any meta data that is not in the backup.

I think this may be a WIN7 problem. When I attached the iPhone to the XP machine, it immediately displayed its IMEI and its CCID. It did not do that on the WIN7 machine. The activation process may have been trying to read these and was unable to.

Incidentally, the Apple folks wanted to treat it as a hardware problem and send me a new phone. That would not have helped at all.

8 hours later

Everything is finally working well. Restoring the 3G image took much longer than I expected.

Got few bars. Phone did not see the 3G Micro-cell. After an hour and seven dropped calls on the phone to AT&T, it mysteriously began to work. Do not know who did what to finally make it work. Tomorrow I will try it in the TomTom car kit.

Oh, incidentally, AAA Roadside does not work. Same version is working on 3. Have reported it.

Last edited:

Frankless24

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
took my iphone 4 to at&t today and wht do they tell me. oh we put the sim in for some other number that wasnt even close to mine. i am soo over at&ts lack of an ability to something so simple. sooo a whole day wasted trying to activate a phone that didnt have the right sim card. nice.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a 3GS previously I turned it off, I plugged my new iPhone 4 into iTunes. It popped up to a page that had my phone number listed, it asked me to plug in my billing zip code and the last 4 digits of my social security number. I hit submit, then I had to go through like 4 pages of accepting terms from AT&T. Once it was completed, I hear a jingle on my iPhone 4 said Activation Completed. I real quick made a call and had someone call me back. It worked! So the process took me like 2 minutes.

Did the rest of you just go into iTunes and do your activation or did you go another route? I purchased my iPhone from Apple directly, I was not wanting to deal with an AT&T Store, so that worked out rather nicely for me.

I also didn't use any kind of backup from my previous phone. I set this up as a new phone, because I didn't want to bring any baggage over with me from my older phone. I really do think folks should set these phones up as new and then manually add whatever they want back to them for the best experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal