iPhone 4 Otterbox Commuter works just fine on 4S...

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
For those wondering. Otterbox is saying that the iPhone 4 Commuter doesnt work with the 4S. Well, I tested it out today and it works just fine. Perfect fit, the lens opening doesnt block the new camera in the 4S. I tested this by taking 2 identical photos with the case on and then off. They look the exact same, with flash and without.

Not sure why Otterbox is saying it doesnt fit...

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is buying a new one, you may want to stick with the newer Commuter cases. The hard plastic layer curves around the corners more to prevent the soft layer from getting floppy. Also it curves "under" the edges more which also helps when you hold the phone to your ear, no more hard plastic edge against the head. The larger camera opening obviously will help make it easier to clean your lens/flash.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
If anyone is buying a new one, you may want to stick with the newer Commuter cases. The hard plastic layer curves around the corners more to prevent the soft layer from getting floppy. Also it curves "under" the edges more which also helps when you hold the phone to your ear, no more hard plastic edge against the head. The larger camera opening obviously will help make it easier to clean your lens/flash.

This is just an improved design then. Otterbox is saying it doesnt work, period, which seems to be false. So far my Commuter has been excellent and I have no loose silicone, etc.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Otterbox Defender 4 case cheap on Overstock before hearing about compatibility issues. It fit fine, and the camera was fine with and without flash. I'm not sure about the proximity senson- I don't make many calls, and when I do I have it on speaker phone, not up to my ear.

I installed an Invisible Shield, front only, yesterday and haven't had time to see if the Otterbox fits okay over that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the old and new commuter case for the 4S. The old case fits well around the sides, however, the mute switch is a little off. I like the rounded edges of the new case much better. Also after testing out both, pictures taken with the new 4S case turn out better when using the flash due to the camera opening being wider. IMO, OtterBox did a better job on the design of the new 4S case than they did on the iPhone 4 case as far as the overall fitting goes. I never liked the gap at the top of the iP4 case as the hard plastic made it hard to keep the phone against the ear... I would definitely recommend using the OtterBox Commuter case specifically made for the 4S, instead of the older case if you have the new iP4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Otterbox commuter too, and it works great. Picked it up tonight at WalMart. All openings are accessible. Since I already installed a screen protector that covers the entire front of the phone, I installed the Otterbox screen protector on the back of the phone to keep the Silver Apple from getting scratched. Didn't really need that to be showing through a hole, but I have no intention of dropping this phone. Good to know it's protected.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Can some post a pic of the new commuter on the phone? I really hope there is no gap between the hard shell and the silicone like the original . Thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR