iphone 4 cases DO NOT FIT the 4s

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
It is my understanding that only cases for the iPhone 4 that either say universal, or fit the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 with indeed fit the iPhone 4s. Many of the manufactures redesigned their cases to fit both phones once the Verizon model came out. Because of the slight shift in the silent switch and volume buttons on the Verizon phone, covers made to fit the AT&T model will not work, unless the side is opened and was not made with two separate little button covers.

I have been to numerous stores as well as called a few manufacturers; if the case is universal it will fit. Most likely the AT&T stores have all the left over models that were made for their phone, although I have seen some that look like new models due to their color. AT&T repackages their cases, so you have no idea if it is a newer universal case. The Apple stores here swear all their cases are universal for the iPhone 4 and they fit both the AT&T and Verizon phone. Assuming the 4s is the same fit as the Verizon 4, we should be good to go!

To be on the safe side, I have purchased a few different silicone cases; one from Verizon, one from At&T, and one at the Apple store; my phone is going to be dressed the first time it heads outside. :D
I will returns those that don't fit and keep, at least temporarily, one that does fit. If a case made for the 4s comes out before my drop dead return date, I will buy it instead.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Got my 4S, so now I know. It's just what I figured.

I have a bumper (that I don't use because it doesn't fit accessories) and a clear Belkin snap-on case that Apple gave me during Antennagate. These both have cutouts for the mute switch which do not line up with the 4S. You can get the 4S into them, but the bottom of the switch is covered a bit, and the case is slightly bent. Fortunately, TiPB is giving me a new case, just for posting here! :)

I also have a wallet case, which leaves the left edge completely uncovered, so it's no problem.

My only other iPhone 4 case is from Powermat, which I use with their wireless charger. I am happy to say that this fits the 4S just fine. The volume-down button touches the bottom of the cutout, which is about a millimeter away on the iPhone 4, but it's not a problem and the 4S charges when I place it on the mat. This is a good thing, since I already bought another one so I can charge both phones.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.

Just to confirm, I have 5 cases that I used on my iPhone 4. All of them fit perfectly on my iPhone 4S. These are cases from Speck, Skullcandy and CaseMate. Booyah!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm, I have 5 cases that I used on my iPhone 4. All of them fit perfectly on my iPhone 4S. These are cases from Speck, Skullcandy and CaseMate. Booyah!

Looked online at lifeproof. Their cases are also compatible with the 4 and 4s

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I had an AT&T case from Speck (PixelSkin HD). I bought a new PixelSkin HD at Apple because of the compatibility of the mute switch. Guess what they are the same. They both touch the mute switch. I called Speck to see if maybe I got an old case and they said that's the way it's supposed to be. I guess the new case is going back.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I had an Otterbox commuter for my 4, and I'm happy to report, it fits my 4S, even though otterbox's website says it won't.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My casemate pop doesn't fit right. It looks like the volume up is off just a touch causing the case to bulge out in that area and not making a tight fit. It fits my wifes iPhone 4 perfectly.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Otterbox Defender cheap on Overstock before it was reported that it didn't fit the 4S. So it's on the phone, it fits perfectly, it does not interfere with the camera flash and I can still activate Siri by bringing the phone up to my ear.

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
On the website it says the commuter isn't compatible but it doesn't cover prox sensor. Not sure what prob with otterbox unless they are lookin to sell more cases

I got a White 4s with a Otterbox Commuter for the 4. Only thing I can see it the rear camera is a fraction of a mm off center. However, I dont see any issues with the functionality, so not sure.

Last edited:

ozshadow#AC

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I got the Otterbox Commuter for the 4 from Verizon Store on mine. I may swap it for an actual 4S case direct from Otterbox.

I need to test it, but other reports indicate the case change for the camera opening was made for both the new lens aperature and the flash issues. Otherwise it fits fine.

ozshadow#AC

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Just took side by side photos with my cam and the wifes. Mine is the closed, two tiny hole Otterbox 4 camera opening. Hers has a wide open case around the camera. Mine takes far darker pics with the Otterbox iphone 4 Commuter case on.

Definitely swapping it and getting the 4S. The 4S case is now made with a large oval camera opening instead of the two small holes.

Last edited:

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I did notice that screen protectors don't fit though. I sold a 4s on launch day and went to put on the helium protector I use on my 4 for the customer. No matter how dead on I was lined up, it was like .02 mm off. It's too long - I don't think it's length, I think it's the curve of the screen to the side panel.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR