iPhone 3G Reception Problems Are...!

Who is to blame for bad 3G reception/dropped calls?

• Apple's Fault! Fix it Steve!

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Carriers' Fault! I've Seen Better Towers in Pisa!

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Apple's fault or the carriers'?

My current thinking is that AT&T is using tinfoil hats instead of antennas, and old SIM cards create new problems.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I would have to say AT&T, although my coverage is great and my iPhone works flawlessly. But it can be a problem with one of the chips switching from 3G to Edge if that still happens for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm up in the air on this one. While I don't have issues at all with either of my phones others seem to have issues with the iPhone in the same area. Which leads me to believe it is something in certain hardware... I know it makes no sense...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm on the fence on this one. AT&T does have 3G problems but notice hardware problems have been varying from phone to phone. I still think that by spring 2009 most or all bugs will be resolved because Apple needs that to happen because in the end Att's problems reflect on Apple in a possible future consumers eyes.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I thought it was ATT at first but don't think so anymore. I've seen times when I'm on edge right next to another black 16gb iPhone. This has happen on more than one occasion compared to 2 diff. 16g black phones!

Also, driving across florida from east to west coast and west to east (basically through the everglades) 2 iPhones lost signal while a friend with verizon although had weak signal was able to make and receive calls. Now this could mean att or iphone, but just thought it was interesting.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Had the same thing happen to me on 2.0 at a Rogers store in Canada. I was blazing on the 3G, and a guy next to me was dead to the Network.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am not familiar with Apple. If it is an actual hardware problem, will Apple ever admit it (and make replacement offers) or is their general method to try to avoid the problem?

Chris

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I am not familiar with Apple. If it is an actual hardware problem, will Apple ever admit it (and make replacement offers) or is their general method to try to avoid the problem?

Chris

Apple is all about having a good image, and doing the best they can to get things resolved (Ever been to the Apple store? I have never had such good CS anywhere else in person EVER). I think they would own up to it if it was their fault.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Got my iPhone 3g 6 weeks before the 2.1 release and was very frustrated with network issues. Things got much better with 2.1, and then continued to improve over the next few weeks as (I believe) AT&T upgraded their network. Now it's all good. So I think the initial 3g launch had problems in both Apple's firmware and AT&T's network. Apple fixed their end of it, and AT&T continues to make improvements.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
AT&T needs to fix their network problems. Once that is stable and reliable, Apple can fix the phone through software updates.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I have no problem here in Poe-Dunk-Backwards-Arse Springfield Missouri. Here everyone uses alltel. We have no cell tower overload but still I would have to say it would be greedy AT&T for not reinvesting revenue into supplying a better product. Quit pocketing the money ATT and spend a little on offering quality cell towers!

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I have no problem here in Poe-Dunk-Backwards-Arse Springfield Missouri. Here everyone uses alltel. We have no cell tower overload but still I would have to say it would be greedy AT&T for not reinvesting revenue into supplying a better product. Quit pocketing the money ATT and spend a little on offering quality cell towers!

That's the American way, corporate maximizes profits for share holders and runs away with as much as possible during the time. Verizon seems to invest in their network and they try to maintain it's peformance hence not offering 7PM start for unlimmited voice, along with their trend of pricy capped unlimmited data not meant to be bum rushed with average everyday users, in well knowing all the above will bog down a network not capable of handling it, hampering network performance. I wish verizon was GSM.

ExBBUser

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
people have brought up very good points for both sides but i still feel it's on apple's side. my old tilt never had any 3g issues what so ever. now with the iphone 3g i wish i could say the same.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I think it's a little of both.
The software is still a bit wonky as far as cell service. Under EDGE I'll lose service and two seconds later without moving my phone I get full bars.

pierluigi

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm on the fence too, but my experience is particular.

First, I'm in Italy and our carriers have way better networks than AT&T. I mean, spotty coverage is very rare here.
Second, the two major carriers (those with the exclusive) sell iPhone unlocked, so I put on my own sim card from another carrier. With 2.0 software 3G reception in my area was terribile (coverage, instead, is massive and HSDPA) and things improved dramatically only with the 2.1 update.

Anyway, I think software needs some more tuning, but it's fine. Speed varies from time to time from 650kbit/s to 1.7Mbit/s but it works like a charm. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox