iPhone 3g included USB cable tearing

Does your included iPhone 3g USB cable look like it's coming apart? (see picture)

• Yeah, WTF!

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.1%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Is it just me, but wouldn't user damage occur on the end that...well..gets used more?

Chris

Well I was using this in my car so the whole idea of one end being used more than the other doesn't hold true in my case.

I'm going with the damage occurred on the end that wasn't built as strong. I've had a more than year old iPod cable in my car now to charge my iPhone and it's still going strong after a couple months. The other one broke after about a month :eek:

If your iPhone 3g cable isn't busted yet, it will be...not sure when, but it will be

bsforever

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Very true...apple build quality is kinda shoddy these days..the same thing happened with my 3g iPhone cable..luckily I had my older thicker ipod USB cable which is 3 yrd old & still going strong!

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Mine ripped too. I had to electric tape it. I actually got shocked slightly when I didn't notice the tear. It shocked my ear as it traveled through the metal bezel of our phones. Talk about messed up

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, no none of my cables look like that. Even a very old one I have that came with a non-color 4G iPod way back looks and works perfectly fine (that one has the tabs you have to squeeze to remove the dock connector).

Are you sure your iPhone wasn't hanging off the table or you don't just grab the cable and yank it out? The newest cable I have that came with my iPhone 3G fits extremely snuggly into every USB port I have put it into, including the a/c charger. It is so tight in my laptop ports that I have to hold the laptop down while trying to remove it or it will pull the laptop across my lap/table, make sure you pull from the plastic bases.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Are you sure your iPhone wasn't...
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm careful with my electronics. The main difference was that it was being used in the car so it did get moved around more than sitting on a table and exposed to hot temps.

But I don't think the car use and temps mean that much because my 2 year old iPod cable has been fine in there for longer than the iPhone 3g cable and is still fine.

Please remember this is the USB cable that came with the iPhone 3g, not just any iPod cable. All my other ones work and continue to work fine.

CoachFreak

Jun 9, 2008
Visit site
I had trouble connecting the wire to my first 3G phone, nothing like plugging it to my original iPhone.

I felt like pushing it in would break the connector in the phone.

roscoe#IM

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok

If plug your iPhone into an outlet which is near the floor you have to hold the phone to use it. The cable is not that long and after awhile the cable starts fraying at the ends. Now I am looking for another charger or a better USB cable or both 1 for another bedroom. Should apple supply a better and longer cable to begin with? Should I have gone with verizon since their 3g service is more area wide? If verizon ever has rollover minutes they would look even better. I called the apple store in Memphis and he said I should pull out the cable by hand. That made me a little upset. I would like to shock him with the frayed end. He said all they're usb cables are the same that come with the iphone. I called apple and they suggested going to wallmart or best buy. Anybody got a suggestion on a good charger? Thanks

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
If plug your iPhone into an outlet which is near the floor you have to hold the phone to use it. The cable is not that long and after awhile the cable starts fraying at the ends. Now I am looking for another charger or a better USB cable or both 1 for another bedroom. Should apple supply a better and longer cable to begin with? Should I have gone with verizon since their 3g service is more area wide? If verizon ever has rollover minutes they would look even better. I called the apple store in Memphis and he said I should pull out the cable by hand. That made me a little upset. I would like to shock him with the frayed end. He said all they're usb cables are the same that come with the iphone. I called apple and they suggested going to wallmart or best buy. Anybody got a suggestion on a good charger? Thanks

??:confused:

roscoe#IM

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
I went to wallmart and looked at every cable and charger they had. I rememered people saying iPod cables worked so I bought a belkin USB cable and just now hooked it up to the iPhone and it is charging. I don't know about syncing with your computer but it is alot sturdier looking and is 6 foot long. I'm almost drooling here. It doesn't say it is made for iPhones on the back of box but it's charging! I hope this helps. It was 20 dollars.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, it's the same cable for all iPods and iPhones. Everything should work fine. $20 is a bit much, but belkin is usually priced as a premium brand. It's a decent brand, good quality, just think it's a bit over priced.

buzzzz

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Tears on both ends here, slowly but surely over the half year since new. The way the cable connects to the plug on the end of my friend's iPhone looks different to how mine was connected, which makes me suspect that they were making cruddy cables for a while.

I have heaps of cables that survive much better than this, including ones that get more used than my iPhone cable. I'm a traveling computer technician, carry my notebook and power adapter (usb HDD, usb mouse, etc...) around with me (1.5 years with no problem), but my iPhone cable usually sits in my computer at home, with no particular stress on it (0.5 years, torn).

With a bit of luck my retailer will help me out, but I'm not holding my breath - Optus Shop were hopeless last time, I'm sure they'll be just as "helpful" this time ;)

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Mine is torn on the phone end. Definetely my fault though, I keep my phone sitting on my bedside table to charge at night and the cord runs down to the floor which makes the cord make a hard corner to go down. I think that constant pressure every night is what does it. Doesn't bother me any, still works like a champ.