iPhone 3g included USB cable tearing

Does your included iPhone 3g USB cable look like it's coming apart? (see picture)

• Yeah, WTF!

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.1%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well me and another friend both have the same issue with the USB cable that was included with iPhone 3g (see attached image).

Apple said they would not return it b/c it looks like user damage...but the fact that none of my other 3 or 4 USB iCables have this issue and 2 different iPhone 3g cables have the same exact issue I would disagree with apple on this.

Has anyone else experienced this issue on the iPhone 3g cable?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Mine looks like that as well. And it is actually on the cable I use the least (the one in my car!). The others that I purchased separately and use all the time are fine.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know, looking at your pictures, mine is on the USB end of the plug as well. If it was user damage, wouldn't it be more likely to be on the iPhone end, which is being pulled out and pushed in all the time?

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone USB cable is fine, but I had that same problem with my MacBook power adapter, for which Apple started a free swap program. Maybe they will start one for the USB cable as well.

If not, the USB cables are at least comparatively inexpensive.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Yep! Mine looks exactly like that! It's been bothering me. I haven't noticed any functionality problems with it though. But it seems as though that's bound to come with time.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I really can't believe you guys are having issues with the cord! Before this thread there has not been a single complaint about this that I have read or seen. And this is happening with no abuse what so ever?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I really can't believe you guys are having issues with the cord! Before this thread there has not been a single complaint about this that I have read or seen. And this is happening with no abuse what so ever?

Nope, no abuse. My cord is pretty much always plugged into my computer and resting flat on my desk. When I do unplug it, it lays flat on my desk

RAFS

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
That's cause I know that these kind of things happen and I didn't feel like complaining. At least not until someone posted this poll. Figured I might as well respond! No big deal. I use the original Apple one by my bed, so it is being flexed/bent quite a bit when I use the iPhone there. Thus, it is no surprise that it would eventually break. Is this "abuse"? I guess so, if the connector was not designed to be bent so much.

I have 2 Dynex brand connectors that are perfectly fine, in my truck and by the computer (BTW, these can be picked up at Future Shop for only $9.99!). Couple that with the dual USB port cigarette adapter I picked up at Wal-mart for $7.99, and it makes for a relatively economical car charging solution. Plus, since it is dual port, I can charge my Bluetooth headset at the same time!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

I use it, but not abuse it. The reason I started this thread was to help back up a post about this on my blog. I just found it strange that I have used other iCords for the last couple years without any problem and within only a few months this new cord breaks. Didn't think it just happen to me and wanted to find out.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Mine has been sitting in the car - so maybe subject to occasional temperature fluctuation. I use it probably 3 or 4 times a week to charge while in the car.

I am with RAFS. I didn't post anything because I figured it was one of those things. Seeing as about 1/3 of the people are having this problem (albeit a VERY small sample size) it seems like maybe more.

Chris

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well I went to the grand opening of the latest apple store in Dadeland mall in Miami and brought the cord and they replaced it without hesitation. Although, since I happen to be speaking directly with one of the store managers and it was a brand new store maybe they were trying a bit harder?

One thing to note is that they replaced it with the standard cable (the one you squeeze to unlock from the device) and not an iPhone 3g cable. So now I will use this one the same as the old one and see what happens.

neil78b

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow, that is definitely user damage because its the least used end, so the user would have to be doing something wrong in order for that to happen. If it were at the other end, like mines, that connects to the phone then they would have been quicker to replace it, as it is the most used and likely to tear with normal use.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Wow, that is definitely user damage because its the least used end, so the user would have to be doing something wrong in order for that to happen. If it were at the other end, like mines, that connects to the phone then they would have been quicker to replace it, as it is the most used and likely to tear with normal use.

Wrong. I got a replacement. All 'mines others' cables work fine and never had that problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh