iPhone 15 rumored to upgrade to Wi-Fi 6E like the newest iPad Pro and Macs

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
>>> Wi-Fi 6E offers a faster, more reliable connection at greater ranges than Wi-Fi 6. In addition to working on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band, it is also able to operate on the 6GHz band. Why didn't Wi-Fi 6 work on the 6GHz band? To confuse everyone<<<

That’s funny! and true. Well done.
Apple’s own radio(BT, Wi-Fi) chip should have 6E. I believe (?) wifi 6E will have even better ‘wake time targets’. This is, in effect, the 6E (and 6) Access Point telling the device (like an iPhone) how much time between this and the next signal. This allows the device to lower battery/power consumption in between signals. (Thrilling tech nerd stuff :)).

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
>>> Wi-Fi 6E offers a faster, more reliable connection at greater ranges than Wi-Fi 6. In addition to working on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band, it is also able to operate on the 6GHz band. Why didn't Wi-Fi 6 work on the 6GHz band? To confuse everyone<<<

That’s funny! and true. Well done.
Apple’s own radio(BT, Wi-Fi) chip should have 6E. I believe (?) wifi 6E will have even better ‘wake time targets’. This is, in effect, the 6E (and 6) Access Point telling the device (like an iPhone) how much time between this and the next signal. This allows the device to lower battery/power consumption in between signals. (Thrilling tech nerd stuff :)).

Except that range is inverse of frequency. The higher the frequency, the lower the range.

The reason is that higher frequency signals have more trouble crossing objects. The perfect example is AM vs FM radio: a 690kHz (0,69MHz, AM) signal can be caught from over 150km from the transmission tower, where a 95.1MHz (FM) is closer to 100km even with double the transmission power.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Except that range is inverse of frequency. The higher the frequency, the lower the range.

The reason is that higher frequency signals have more trouble crossing objects. The perfect example is AM vs FM radio: a 690kHz (0,69MHz, AM) signal can be caught from over 150km from the transmission tower, where a 95.1MHz (FM) is closer to 100km even with double the transmission power.

Great info Ed.
My understanding (which definitely does not make it certain) is a Wake Time Target is not related to signal/spectrum frequency. Assuming WiFi 6E is 6ghz :), Wake Time Target does not change that 6ghz frequency. It is related to a given moment in time’s throughput between AP and host.

Ethernet Frame A->unused media air->Next comes Frame B. The time between A and B is determined/defined by the 6E protocol. The AP sends that defined time to the host, the host can then go radio lower power inside that defined time. I assume (meaning I’m guessing), high throughput (watching a streamed 4K video) or jitter will make AP tell host to maintain radio at high power.

I’m interested if I have that wrong. 6/6E is something I’ve only been working with recently.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Great info Ed.
My understanding (which definitely does not make it certain) is a Wake Time Target is not related to signal/spectrum frequency. Assuming WiFi 6E is 6ghz :), Wake Time Target does not change that 6ghz frequency. It is related to a given moment in time’s throughput between AP and host.

Ethernet Frame A->unused media air->Next comes Frame B. The time between A and B is determined/defined by the 6E protocol. The AP sends that defined time to the host, the host can then go radio lower power inside that defined time. I assume (meaning I’m guessing), high throughput (watching a streamed 4K video) or jitter will make AP tell host to maintain radio at high power.

I’m interested if I have that wrong. 6/6E is something I’ve only been working with recently.

Wi-Fi 6E is indeed the 6GHz extension for Wi-Fi 6.

I have not looked into the detailed specifics of Time Wake Target in Wi-Fi 6. From what I understand from this summarized explainer, it’s more along the lines of “you [the client device] are expected to have the right to the shared line [air] every X moments”. It should improve performance on busy networks, but it has no impact on range/network reach.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Wi-Fi 6E is indeed the 6GHz extension for Wi-Fi 6.

I have not looked into the detailed specifics of Time Wake Target in Wi-Fi 6. From what I understand from this summarized explainer, it’s more along the lines of “you [the client device] are expected to have the right to the shared line [air] every X moments”. It should improve performance on busy networks, but it has no impact on range/network reach.

Thanks Ed, the summarized reader was a good read (at least for us tech nerds :))..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2