iPhone 15 Pro to get major USB-C data transfer speed boost, iPhone 15 stuck with Lightning speeds

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My 2021 iPad Pro has USB 4 and Thunderbolt 4. Why not just go with that and be done with it for a while…

We might be going to Thunderbolt 5 (or next-gen Thunderbolt as Intel calls it) next year. Why not just go with that instead for iPhone 15?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
My 2021 iPad Pro has USB 4 and Thunderbolt 4. Why not just go with that and be done with it for a while…

Interesting learning moment: Thunderbolt was developed by Intel “in partnership with Apple”. I didn’t know that. I also didn’t know Intel stopped licensing fees on Thunderbolt 3 and it is now free to use standard.
But it is important to know the SOC/CPU needs Thunderbolt 4 “hardware”(using it as a generic term) just as SOC/CPU needs USB “hardware”. But press the breaks for thunderbolt 5, USB 4.2 is here.

From The Verge:
“If these (Thunderbolt 5) specs sound familiar, it’s because they’re very similar to the ones the USB Promoter Group announced last month with the reveal of USB 4 version 2.0. The official specification for that standard, released on Tuesday, shows that it’s also capable of the 120 / 40Gbps communication that Intel says makes next-gen Thunderbolt great for “video-intensive usages.” (Read: powering a bunch of high-resolution, high refresh rate displays.)

The similarity isn’t a secret; Intel’s press release says that its next Thunderbolt spec will be “built on the USB4 v2 specification,” and it says that its demo is “aligned” to the USB Implementers Forum’s official release. This raises an obvious question: why bother making another version of Thunderbolt if it’s basically going to be the same as the latest and greatest USB spec?”

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
We might be going to Thunderbolt 5 (or next-gen Thunderbolt as Intel calls it) next year. Why not just go with that instead for iPhone 15?

Cost of Overkill would be my guess. The Thunderbolt 4 standard includes 80 Gbps max tx speeds (and multiple DisplayPorts, 4K monitors, even ability for asymmetric tx/rx).
The iPhone with Thunderbolt 3 sees max tx at 40 Gbps. I believe that’s a half a GB (gigabyte) per second potential. A 64 GB (half the disk space of a stock IPhone pro) file will transfer in 2 minutes and 8 seconds at max.
I know there are super users that need better but that going to be a very small slice of users Half a gig per second is A LOT for more users.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Cost of Overkill would be my guess. The Thunderbolt 4 standard includes 80 Gbps max tx speeds (and multiple DisplayPorts, 4K monitors, even ability for asymmetric tx/rx).
The iPhone with Thunderbolt 3 sees max tx at 40 Gbps. I believe that’s a half a GB (gigabyte) per second potential. A 64 GB (half the disk space of a stock IPhone pro) file will transfer in 2 minutes and 8 seconds at max.
I know there are super users that need better but that going to be a very small slice of users Half a gig per second is A LOT for more users.

I was being devil's advocate :rotfl:
I don't think any iPhone needs anything faster than USB4 v1, maybe USB4 v2. Thunderbolt is a bigger security risk, since it connects the system memory between devices, which is not necessary unless you have workloads that need a lot of speed and/or processing power.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I was being devil's advocate :rotfl:
I don't think any iPhone needs anything faster than USB4 v1, maybe USB4 v2. Thunderbolt is a bigger security risk, since it connects the system memory between devices, which is not necessary unless you have workloads that need a lot of speed and/or processing power.

I was too, LOL!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro