iPhone 15 Pro design leak shows off giant camera bump, new buttons, and colors

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I very much dislike these gargantuan camera bumps.
The ones on the 13/14 series were already way too much for me.
In general, I wish they would return to trying to make the phones slimmer and lighter again. Something they gave up with the 6 or 7 series I think? In order to making the batteries last longer.
I understand there are physical limitations to improving camera and battery quality, while maintaining small sizes. I can only speak for me personally. These camera bumps are ridiculous, and I would be happy with less significant steps forward if in return the phones become slimmer & lighter again. And battery technology should have made sufficient progress to allow for getting over more than a working day, despite slim sizes.
If the renders turn out to be correct, I will not upgrade this year.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for slimmer iPhones. Not sure about the iPhone 15 yet, I prefer the current flat frame design and the stainless steel. I will reevaluate in September.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
For me, I’m looking forward to the curved edges.
The camera bump on my 14 PM doesn’t bother me at all. If the 15 is bigger, we’ll see if it hits that threshold, doubt it though. But I agree with gnirkatto about camera advancements. A bigger bump for a big zoom or giant sensor. How many times I’ll use a 50x zoom? Close to if not zero. (And it’s a moon zoom shot, Apple doesn’t need zoom, just use a pre installed image and have AI fill it in. Doh!).

The big equation is: all current designs cause limitations, and if/when a big internal redesign is needed to accommodate changing parts. Space is at a super premium inside a flagship smartphone. Even as simple as moving a button can cause a domino effect in design complications and changes. Solid state buttons, taking out ports like SIM, etc, these aren’t just to improve durability or higher water resistance, taking these out frees up space to make easier internal changes.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I claim that for the average and even the more demanding camera user, the current iPhone image quality ist more than sufficient to no longer having to carry a compact camera around. But it's still not good enough for a (semi) pro user to replace a SLR (speed, zoom in, crop/enlarge, extreme wide/tele, flash, noise etc.).
And I think this will stay this way for quite a while.

Again, just speaking about my personal preferences, the current image quality is good enough for 'snapshooting' and a little more than that, and I would be perfectly happy if the next improvements won't be so significant that the camera bumps have to get bigger and bigger all the time.

Instead, I would really appreciate lighter and thinner phones, with smaller camera bumps, as stated before. I also think that this would give manufacturers (Apple?) a boost in attracting more new or converted or upgrading customers. Currently, whenever Apple announces, it feels like 'yeah they tell that the camera got better...as usual...not a lot that excites me' or so. Imagine a phone that's noticeable thinner and lighter than the current ones (while at least preserving the same features/camera qualities)....I'm sure that would create a wow factor for many. And there would be a real differentiator and tangible progress compared to previous versions.

Finally, I'm sure many of you stream the latest scifi movies/shows? Whenver one of the characters uses a phone, how does it look like? EXTREMELY thin! Apparently, this is considered very cool!

Just my 2c

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox