iPhone 13: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is iPhone 13 different enough from your current phone to upgrade?

Personally, I’m on the fence. I carry both a X & 11 Pro, but I’m considering retiring the X (for the second time) to get the 13 Pro. I’m not a fan of the extra height, since 5.8” is really my sweet spot, but I do love the cameras. I have a bunch of trips coming up (both work & seclusion), and the upgraded cameras would be perfect.

Momof2_1711

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Definitely not different from my Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max. No Rose gold like some of the rumors I read and the blue this year for the pro’s do not look better than the pacific blue.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Wasn’t going to upgrade. But….1 TB? Been waiting for this.

I’ll go for the 13 Pro 1TB in Sierra Blue.

Will also go for the watch in green and red.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Wasn’t going to upgrade. But….1 TB? Been waiting for this.

I’ll go for the 13 Pro 1TB in Sierra Blue.

Will also go for the watch in green and red.

That 1TB is very tempting!! Glad they finally have this option.

I’ll also be getting the watch. It’s time to upgrade my S4. I’ll probably go for the Hermès version this year.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That 1TB is very tempting!! Glad they finally have this option.

I’ll also be getting the watch. It’s time to upgrade my S4. I’ll probably go for the Hermès version this year.

That’s a nice one! I just fell in love with the green. AND of course the red.

I’ve never seen the Hermès up close. Probably a good thing!!!

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site

Ahhh that Hermès Apple Watch is gorgeous excuse me while I pull out my Cartier Watch that only gets a stroll on date nights…don’t worry baby I’m not replacing you

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Got a 12 in blue. While I do regret the color choice, the 13 isn’t enough of a technical upgrade to justify it for me. Plus, I just finished paying off $11,000 of credit card debt since the start of the year, and I would like to save some money. Maybe I’ll be able to pay cash for a 14 next year.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Unless your the type of person who needs new latest and greatest phone, I feel if you have an iPhone 12 or even an iPhone 11. There is really no need for an upgrade. But anything older then that and you feel you need to upgrade, it will be a much more noticeable improvement

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Paid 500 for my 12 pro, apple is giving me 640 for it and with discount it makes the 13 pro 260 bones for me. It’s a no brainer, I’m getting paid to upgrade.

Peaceful_Moi

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm mesmerized by the gold color on the new 13 pro (compared with the gold on my 11 pro). If earlier, false rumors that gold was being discontinued were true, I'd be buying a 12 pro in gold right now to satisfy my yearnings. What a relief the rumors were wrong! :biggrin:

Another subject: When I look at the schedule of trade-in values on the Apple site, it seems like it might be about the same cost in the long run to buy a new iPhone every year, because new iPhones hold their value quite well.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
256Gb 13 Pro Max in Sierra Blue for me. Gold as a fallback option.

I'm not preordering, i'm going into the store on day one. I've managed to secure my last five iPhones on launch day by doing this.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
No always on display, heavier, bulkier. I'm very disappointed. Wanted to upgrade to a 13 or 13pro. Now I feel like why should I?
P.S. that is the first time in many years that I feel this way. Normally I always found something for me to justify an upgrade (or to talk me into it). Not (yet?) this time.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
256Gb 13 Pro Max in Sierra Blue for me. Gold as a fallback option.

I'm not preordering, i'm going into the store on day one. I've managed to secure my last five iPhones on launch day by doing this.

I'm going to do the same thing but only because I want to trade in my iPhone 12 Pro Max for a 13 Pro Max and I don't feel like dropping over $1K all at once. I only buy unlocked iPhones.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm locked in with my 12 Pro for at least a couple of years, so I wasn't looking to get a new iPhone this year, but it's still fun to read about those who are? My cousin called me and asked if she should upgrade. She currently has a 12, and I'm on the fence about it. I will have to read more about and watch a few videos before I offer an opinion!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to do the same thing but only because I want to trade in my iPhone 12 Pro Max for a 13 Pro Max and I don't feel like dropping over $1K all at once. I only buy unlocked iPhones.

Yes, that's exactly what i'm going to do too, although I don't have a 12 Pro Max so won't get as much. Still, no point in keeping the old phone; I already have a couple of older iPhones in case I need them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is iPhone 13 different enough from your current phone to upgrade?

Personally, I’m on the fence. I carry both a X & 11 Pro, but I’m considering retiring the X (for the second time) to get the 13 Pro. I’m not a fan of the extra height, since 5.8” is really my sweet spot, but I do love the cameras. I have a bunch of trips coming up (both work & seclusion), and the upgraded cameras would be perfect.

Do I think the iPhone 13 models are different enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone 12 Pro? Nope. With that being said, I was never the type to care about the camera of the iPhone, but I must admit the photos I’ve taken with my iPhone 12 Pro are straight up awesome and if the camera of the iPhone 13 Pro is even better then upgrading is something to consider.