iPhone 12 vs. 12 mini - Does Size Matter?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I have now both the 12 (non-pro) and the mini - will have to make a decision on which one to keep. I always loved small phones, but got used to bigger ones, as there was no real option for smaller sizes. Until the mini arrived.

The mini is really sweet & good looking. It's much easier/more convenient to carry in and put in and out of pants pockets.
With "normal" use, you don't lose a lot. Same number of icons that fit on the home screen. Same size icons, text, even the widget's don't look or feel much smaller. Also, most websites and all apps that I use are perfectly fine, well readable, don't feel cramped or so.

Even typing is OK (as far as typing on glass for an ex. Blackberry-addict can ever be OK) - but I have to say that I use Gboard and usually swipe, so I can't tell if real "typing" on the stock keyboard will be problematic, compared to larger screens. I guess so though. All I can say is that swiping works equally good on both sizes, which I didn't expect.

I'm not watching movies or episodes on the phone, so watching short clips is ok-ish. Watching a full movie might get a bit dissatisfying, maybe. Of course it depends on the distance between your eyes and the phone. I usually watch clips in bed, with the phone on my chest, therefore no issue, even with the mini.

The smaller screen size starts to get a little annoying when looking at pictures.
Also, scrolling through eg Twitter timelines. It makes you feel like locked-in, kind of, when only 2/3 of a post show, and you have to scroll to read/see everything. But I think this only becomes noticeable when having a larger phone like the 12 at hand and right next to the mini, and a 1:1 comparison.

I have rather large hands. Still, the mini feels A LITTLE more comfortable to hold, but not significantly imho. This may be different for people with smaller hands. I personally don't mind the flat edges, neither when holding the phones nor from a looks perspective, and find the retro-look to be quite appealing. Both my phones are white, and I even prefer the matte edges over the stainless steel ones of the pro models. There were a few imaging situations where I would have liked to have a telephoto lens, but so far not enough for me to justify the premium.

Very difficult decision outstanding. AMA.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but it seems like you have to answer this yourself. The current lineup now covers a good range of needs and interests with the full-screen format.

Here are things that come to mind for my use. Apple Watch solves my desire to carry less. Function is everything for me because I'm an enterprise technology admin and very involved in an outdoor sports organization and facilities. Big phone means battery life, best screen and best camera. Natural stainless steel edges age well.

Sure there are little things I prefer - my XS Max (now my child's) was prettier and more pleasing to handle. In less than a day I got used to my seriously overgrown and improved iPhone 5.

:)

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I was not looking for someone to decide for me but wanted to outline my current state of thoughts. And maybe others who face a similar "dilemma" to chime in and to give me a perspective I may not have looked at yet. Like eg that it's possible to getting used to a very small phone, in less than a day, after having used a very big one ;-)

mundo472

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
As an ex-BB user; do you find the flat edges feel at all like the z10? This is a major selling point for me. All my phones are too slippery

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
And I loved my Z10...! And even my Z30.
But, yes, the use of those BlackBerry devices, and the iPhone 4/5, lead me to the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

In relation to the OP's conversation, to be honest, use a device, you have 14 days to confirm if you 'like it/want to keep it'.
Over the years, I have used my 14 days very wisely to confirm if I want to keep the device...

PS: I have always been a two handed mobile device user.

As an ex-BB user; do you find the flat edges feel at all like the z10? This is a major selling point for me. All my phones are too slippery

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
hm...this is a very good question.
I had the Z10 and liked it (except that I still preferred typing on a real KB, and except its lousy battery performance).
Now that we're talking, the flat edges remind me A LITTLE of the Z10. In general, I think that flat edges give phones better grip than rounded ones, in particular as all/most of the materials used in modern phones make them extremely slippery imho.
I never understood that. Why do phone manufacturers not use or at least search for materials that give a good grip? I understand certain features have to be there to enable radio etc., but no-one can tell me that this can only be achieved by using extremely slippery materials.I am 100% sure there would be ceramic or synthetic materials that a) allow or excellent radio, b) provide good grip and c) look great and maybe even d) are more resilient then even the hardest glass.
In particular, I always found iPhones to be extremely slippery.
THe matte glass back of the pro models looks great, but is extremely slippery imho. The non-pro models are a little less slippery, as the smooth glass surface seems to 'stick' better to hands. But that might not be the case if you have an extremely dry skin.

So back to your question:

honestly, I can no longer remember exactly how the edges of the Z10 felt (overall, I have very pleasant memories of how the Z10 felt in the hand). But the 12/12 mini phones do in fact feel a little less slippery than eg the 11 series. Yes this could be due to the flat edges.

In more simple terms: I did not dare to carry the 11/11pro without case. But I think I would give it a 'naked' try with the 12/12 mini. It just feels a little safer. But pls don't expect miracles! The good old days where phones were made non-slippery naturally, are over.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Interim report:
I found some websites on the mini to not display correctly, surprisingly even the iMore site. If you push the little envelope in the forums, to see likes/comments etc., the display gets truncated on the left side. Not so on the 12, where everything shows correctly. I understand this might be a software issue, but still annoying, as I think the aspect ratios of the 12 and the mini are equal (?) - so why does the rendering work differently? I'm sure this will get fixed eventually, but I just wanted to point to that.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Please keep these observations coming! So useful!
Interim report:
I found some websites on the mini to not display correctly, surprisingly even the iMore site. If you push the little envelope in the forums, to see likes/comments etc., the display gets truncated on the left side. Not so on the 12, where everything shows correctly. I understand this might be a software issue, but still annoying, as I think the aspect ratios of the 12 and the mini are equal (?) - so why does the rendering work differently? I'm sure this will get fixed eventually, but I just wanted to point to that.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
How does it feel to hold the phone for a longer period?
So I tried to hold both the 12 and the mini, each for ~20 minutes, while scrolling through my Twitter timeline and surfing the web. Unchanged position, no breaks.

Surprisingly, with the mini, my hand felt more cramped. The 12 felt more natural and relaxed. Maybe because I had to close my hand more to firmly hold the mini? I don't know. But for people with larger hands, this might be something to be considered.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just want to point out that if any of you bought a device directly from Apple and received it after November 10th you actually have until January 8, 2021 to return. Not just 14 days.

porier91

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I went from the iPhone XS Max to the iPhone 12 mini. Love the compact size. Only trade off is battery. But for what I use my phone for is great for my needs. I just need a phone to do simple tasks like: text, call, some social media, some media consumption and listening to music. Great phone so far and fits in all my pockets comfortably.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
There are reports & videos that the mini's lock screen does not or not always react on touch, can't unlock with the thumb but all other fingers, doesn't react when in or not in a case.
I cannot confirm that.
Mine reacts always, regardless of which finger I use.
It also reacts when in or out of a case (have an Apple leather case).
The videos showing no reaction when tapping on the torch or camera on the lockscreen are plain stupid imho. One hast to tap and hold the torch/camera icon, so that the respective app launches. Just tapping briefly (like on a homescreen icon) is not enough. Tap & hold simulates the former force touch feature, and prevents from mistakenly launching anything from the lock screen.
Works well as designed, as far as I am concerned.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I found that some widgets get their tops & bottoms truncated on the mini, not so on the 12.
No content is cut off, but looks quite ugly.
In particular, I found that for the NTV-widget (NTV is a European news channel).
For sure a SW issue that will get fixed over time.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
There are reports & videos that the mini's lock screen does not or not always react on touch, can't unlock with the thumb but all other fingers, doesn't react when in or not in a case.
I cannot confirm that.
Mine reacts always, regardless of which finger I use.
It also reacts when in or out of a case (have an Apple leather case).
The videos showing no reaction when tapping on the torch or camera on the lockscreen are plain stupid imho. One hast to tap and hold the torch/camera icon, so that the respective app launches. Just tapping briefly (like on a homescreen icon) is not enough. Tap & hold simulates the former force touch feature, and prevents from mistakenly launching anything from the lock screen.
Works well as designed, as far as I am concerned.
I have to correct myself:

The mini apparently does have a problem reacting to touch when it lies on a flat surface, AND when it's in a (Apple leather) case. These are the scenarios that I tested, everything 90% reproducible:

mini lying on a flat surface, with case on (hard or soft surface, table or couch, same effects):
tap to wake working.
torch, camera, control center not working.
swipe to unlock working.
When unlocked, everything is working.

mini with case, in my hand: torch, camera, control center NOT WORKING EITHER! Unlock working, then everything working ok.

mini lying on a flat surface, with NO case on (hard or soft surface, table or couch, same effects):
tap to wake working.
swipe to unlock working.

mini WITHOUT case, in my hand: torch, camera, control center, unlock WORKING!

Sorry for my misleading previous post. Apparently I ran into those very few situations where it did work (can't make it work again now though).

This is very unfortunate and a serious problem. If you can't operate what's on the lock screen, if a phone is in a case, or if it lies in front of you, it makes it borderline unusable.

I will send feedback to Apple via the official channels, maybe even contact their support, and post any outcome here.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
P.S. the same tests, with the 12 (non-mini), with or without an Apple silicone case, showed not the slightest problem.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
5 phone calls with various Apple people (incl. dropped lines, new agent, having to tell the same story again and again...). ~12 unsuccessful attempts to reset/reinstall iOS via Mac (as requested by Apple - I knew upfront this will be pointless).
I pointed them to a couple of articles about users already reporting the same issue.
Next call on Friday, after consultation of engineers at their HQ.
Will use the 12 until then. Thinking of returning the mini if no solution and/or no acknowledgement of a to be fixed bug by Apple.
:concern:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to correct myself:

The mini apparently does have a problem reacting to touch when it lies on a flat surface, AND when it's in a (Apple leather) case. These are the scenarios that I tested, everything 90% reproducible:

mini lying on a flat surface, with case on (hard or soft surface, table or couch, same effects):
tap to wake working.
swipe to unlock working.

mini with case, in my hand: torch, camera, control center NOT WORKING EITHER! Unlock working, then everything working ok.

mini lying on a flat surface, with NO case on (hard or soft surface, table or couch, same effects):
tap to wake working.
swipe to unlock working.

mini WITHOUT case, in my hand: torch, camera, control center, unlock WORKING!

Sorry for my misleading previous post. Apparently I ran into those very few situations where it did work (can't make it work again now though).

This is very unfortunate and a serious problem. If you can't operate what's on the lock screen, if a phone is in a case, or if it lies in front of you, it makes it borderline unusable.

I will send feedback to Apple via the official channels, maybe even contact their support, and post any outcome here.

Your Mini must be ****ed up because mine has none of the issues you describe. I have the Apple leather case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro