• iPhone 12 or 12 mini

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a difference between the pro and max? Depending on cost, I may just get the pro.

Other than size, there are some camera differences.

I’ve decided they aren’t big enough differences for me to get the Max (the larger size is a con for me)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I keep vacillating between the Pro and the Pro Max. I am so used to the XS Max, when I hold my wife's iPhone 8 in my hands it feels way too small. I would not want a smaller screen than the XS Max, but I really don't want it larger either. The XS Max after 2-years feels like the right size. I think the few MM difference between the XS Max and the 12 Pro Max I will adjust to... I am not sure I would adjust well to a smaller phone, especially with my older eyes and the fact I use the phone all day for work, calendar, camera (work related) etc...

Plus the Max has some upgrades over the Pro especially with the camera stabilization:

Resolution:

• iPhone 12 Pro, is a 6.1-inch display with 2532 x 1170 resolution.
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max is a 6.7-inch display with 2778 x 1284 resolution.
Battery (based on Apple's playback time, have to wait until a teardown to know for sure)
Rumors:

• iPhone 12 Pro 2,775 mAh battery
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max's 3,687 mAh battery
Aperture

• iPhone 12 Pro's lens is f/2.0
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max lens is f/2.2
Focal Length

• iPhone 12 Pro 52mm
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max 65mm (+ larger optical zoom for what it's worth)

Image Stabilization
The 12 Pro Max also uses a different type of image stabilization technology called sensor shift, which moves the sensor around multiple axes in response to external motion. It’s commonly found in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, whose makers then benefit from not having to build OIS into lenses. Apple says this adds a full stop of stabilization — in other words, letting you use twice as long a shutter speed, all things being equal. That takes the 12 Pro Max up to two-second handheld exposures in regular shooting, which could reduce the need for night mode in all but the darkest conditions. "The Verge"

So long story long... I think I will hold out for the Pro Max on 11/6 (same day I want to order 3 Home Pod Minis)

Busy and $$ day!

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I keep vacillating between the Pro and the Pro Max. I am so used to the XS Max, when I hold my wife's iPhone 8 in my hands it feels way too small. I would not want a smaller screen than the XS Max, but I really don't want it larger either. The XS Max after 2-years feels like the right size. I think the few MM difference between the XS Max and the 12 Pro Max I will adjust to... I am not sure I would adjust well to a smaller phone, especially with my older eyes and the fact I use the phone all day for work, calendar, camera (work related) etc...

Plus the Max has some upgrades over the Pro especially with the camera stabilization:

Resolution:

• iPhone 12 Pro, is a 6.1-inch display with 2532 x 1170 resolution.
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max is a 6.7-inch display with 2778 x 1284 resolution.
Battery (based on Apple's playback time, have to wait until a teardown to know for sure)
Rumors:

• iPhone 12 Pro 2,775 mAh battery
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max's 3,687 mAh battery
Aperture

• iPhone 12 Pro's lens is f/2.0
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max lens is f/2.2
Focal Length

• iPhone 12 Pro 52mm
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max 65mm (+ larger optical zoom for what it's worth)

Image Stabilization
The 12 Pro Max also uses a different type of image stabilization technology called sensor shift, which moves the sensor around multiple axes in response to external motion. It’s commonly found in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, whose makers then benefit from not having to build OIS into lenses. Apple says this adds a full stop of stabilization — in other words, letting you use twice as long a shutter speed, all things being equal. That takes the 12 Pro Max up to two-second handheld exposures in regular shooting, which could reduce the need for night mode in all but the darkest conditions. "The Verge"

So long story long... I think I will hold out for the Pro Max on 11/6 (same day I want to order 3 Home Pod Minis)

Busy and $$ day!

That’s a sound analysis! I don’t think the 12 Pro Max should feel much bigger/different from the XS Max!

It seems like the big phone is a pro for you, whereas the bigger phone is a con for me.

While the upgrades to the Max camera are great, they aren’t significant enough to me to change to the larger form factor. Plus, most of the changes are to the wide angle camera (including sensor shift) and farther digital zoom, which neither of which I use often.

I’m now 99% sure I’ll be up early tomorrow to preorder the pacific blue 12 Pro 256gb ... can’t be 100% sure until it’s ordered and then in my hands!!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That’s a sound analysis! I don’t think the 12 Pro Max should feel much bigger/different from the XS Max!

It seems like the big phone is a pro for you, whereas the bigger phone is a con for me.

While the upgrades to the Max camera are great, they aren’t significant enough to me to change to the larger form factor. Plus, most of the changes are to the wide angle camera (including sensor shift) and farther digital zoom, which neither of which I use often.

I’m now 99% sure I’ll be up early tomorrow to preorder the pacific blue 12 Pro 256gb ... can’t be 100% sure until it’s ordered and then in my hands!!

Considering for a large portion of my life I was a pro-photographer (Rock & Roll in the 80s) and then up until 2015 (2009-2015) a model, fine art and boudoir photographer, I take cameras seriously. That being said I have never used an iPhone on any photo shoot, but with the quality changes from the XS Max to the 12 Pro Max it's worth trying a side by side test... my iPhone 12ProMax vs a Canon (Full Sensor) DSLR with glass that costs more than the iPhone 12 Pro Max and see how it stands up. The added RAW option is vastly important to me, it's the one major change that would convince me to even try this. I work mostly in Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop for all my edits.

Of course an iPhone can't replace something like a 600mm lens for Wildlife Photography or my 70-200mm that I love so much... but for anything under 85mm it should work nicely.

Ps... I like the Pacific Blue too, but to be honest I keep a Red Silicone Case on 100% of the time, so likely I will order the Gray/Black 12ProMax as I think the Blue will sell out fast... and I will grab whatever color (except white) I can get in 256GB.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Considering for a large portion of my life I was a pro-photographer (Rock & Roll in the 80s) and then up until 2015 (2009-2015) a model, fine art and boudoir photographer, I take cameras seriously. That being said I have never used an iPhone on any photo shoot, but with the quality changes from the XS Max to the 12 Pro Max it's worth trying a side by side test... my iPhone 12ProMax vs a Canon (Full Sensor) DSLR with glass that costs more than the iPhone 12 Pro Max and see how it stands up. The added RAW option is vastly important to me, it's the one major change that would convince me to even try this. I work mostly in Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop for all my edits.

Of course an iPhone can't replace something like a 600mm lens for Wildlife Photography or my 70-200mm that I love so much... but for anything under 85mm it should work nicely.

Ps... I like the Pacific Blue too, but to be honest I keep a Red Silicone Case on 100% of the time, so likely I will order the Gray/Black 12ProMax as I think the Blue will sell out fast... and I will grab whatever color (except white) I can get in 256GB.

Sounds like quite the career!

I love a good camera, but I’m definitely an amateur photographer (if that). I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR with a couple of lenses for car and landscape photography, but my iPhone is mainly for point-and-shoot.

I have a feeling the 12 Pro will be enough of an upgrade over my 11 Pro, for me!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
We are going with the 12 Pros, silver for the wife, graphite for me (really tempted by the blue, but I always use a case so the graphite will be better since the lens isn't black on all of them like the X or XS). I think we will go with 256GB for both (she has 64 now and is always full, I have 256 and only use about 80, but 256 should keep us going for a long time). Should be a good update from the X. Have had them almost 1000 days now, longest I have had a phone ever. Looking forward to at least that long with the 12 Pro.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IF I opt to get the iPhone 12 (it’s not even a consideration at this point), is probably go with the Pro Max - white/silver

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative