iPhone 12: Is there a size for you!?

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
So assuming all the leaks are true, I can’t say I’m all that happy. I almost feel as if my hand is forced. Each year I buy the MAX model 6.5” only to return to 5.8” which seems to be the sweet spot for me. I just can’t seem to get use to the 6.5” or 6.1” models. Which brings us to my point. I actually would really be looking forward to the upcoming 5.4” device, but it’s seems like quite the step down from my 11 Pro. While it will apparently have some noticeable spec bumps and 5G, it will be aluminum, take a hit in the camera category, and likely have a smaller battery than my 11 Pro.

So basically I feel I’m forced in two directions. One I could keep my 11 Pro which is an idea that’d last about two weeks anyway or go up to the more premium version of the two 6.1” models.

Any thoughts? I get it, people are excited about two 6.1” options and the 6.7” as well, but what about those who prefer the smaller devices. Will a $650 iPhone 12 that’s 5.4” be able to stack up to the X, XS, or 11 Pro 5.8” models and what will you do?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I currently have an Xr so.....

Smaller size (5.4) = good

OLED screen = good

New design, aluminum = good

Better camera = good

Cheaper than iPhone 11 = good

5g = whatever

Latest processor = good

Equals

Probably my next phone

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m going for the iPhone 12 Pro Max Extreme Supreme this year.
After having used my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold for 4 years, I think I’ve deserved that.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm going to skip this year, but if I change my mind I will most likely get the 12 Pro Max (largest available screen size) 256gb.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I’ve been jailbroken for almost 2 weeks. I feel like I have a new device but I still can’t wait for this year’s iPhones. I can’t wait until more rumors surface as we get closer.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I currently use a iPhone 11 Pro and that’s about as large as I need to go. Anything larger then that, I am out and will continue to use my current device.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I currently use a iPhone 11 Pro and that’s about as large as I need to go. Anything larger then that, I am out and will continue to use my current device.

So there in lies my question. You’re at 5.8” and based on most everything out there your choices are 5.4”, 6.1”, or 6.7”...so does that mean you’ll use your 11 Pro til EOL or make a move?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Over the past couple of years I’ve been on an X, handed that off to my hubby and went to a Xs max. After a bit it was just too large for me so I handed off my Xs max to one of my sons got an 11. In the beginning it was a sweet spot size for me but then after 6 mths it was started to feel too big again. Last week I traded with my hubby. He took the 11 and I took back my original X from him.

After a couple of years playing with phone sizes I’m content with the 5.8” screen. If when the 12 comes out and that size isn’t available, then I may consider getting an 11 Pro or just hang onto this X for as long as possible.

I’d rather not have another monthly payment with a new phone again.

Last edited:

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For me, it’ll be the 5.4” iPhone 12. My main consideration is one handed use and with the rumored dimensions, that shouldn’t be an issue for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I do opt to buy a new iPhone this year, it would be be the Max model, but swapping out my current iPhone is NOT a priority for me.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I’m pretty content with my 11 Pro Max, I don’t see myself upgrading this year. If I somehow get sucked in it would be the Max model. The size can sometimes be a pain but my priority is being able to SEE so I can’t see me ever going back to a smaller phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m pretty content with my 11 Pro Max, I don’t see myself upgrading this year. If I somehow get sucked in it would be the Max model. The size can sometimes be a pain but my priority is being able to SEE so I can’t see me ever going back to a smaller phone.

I hear you. My 57 year old eyes can’t see as clearly as they did in my youth...

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. My 57 year old eyes can’t see as clearly as they did in my youth...

I was the same way! I kept going bigger with my phones because of my eyesight. I just can’t do the big phones anymore and I need to wear reading glasses...so I’ve come to the conclusion that it really doesn’t matter if the phone is big or small. I need the reading specs anyway, so I decided to stick with the smaller phone which is more comfortable for me to use.

If the iPhone 12 comes out with a 5.4” size I may consider it. I just don’t know if I want to get into a phone payment again

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, same here. These old eyes welcomed the larger iPhone since the 6 plus.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I really hate these huge phones!!! I did it for a few years with the 6 Plus, 6S Plus, & 7 Plus. By the time the 8 Plus came out, I was over it & welcomed the smaller 8 & X. I’ll have to see what the actual size of the smaller premium iPhone is. If the footprint is too big compared to the 5.8” iPhones, I’ll just keep using my XS & 11 Pro. Not sure I’ll want an aluminum device, but we’ll see.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have to say that to me, the optimal size is the 8 Plus. A little wider than the iPhone 11, but not as long as the Max devices. I, too, have older eyes and like a large screen. But wider, not longer is my preference. That form factor is disappearing, sadly.

My biggest issue with the newer 11 Pro Max phone is not the size, but the weight. It is essentially half a pound (7.97 ounces). I have the XS Max and it is heavy, but the 11 Pro Max is heavier yet. I own both Android and iPhone devices as I support both for work. Earlier this year I ordered the S20 Ultra and sent it back faster than I have ever returned any device because of the weight and I won't buy the Note 20 Ultra for the same reason. I later purchased the S20 Plus. It is just about perfect in size and weight.

I brought in the iPhone 11 and it is a little smaller, but lighter than the XS Max and I won't buy the 11 Pro Max. I would really like the 12 Pro Max, but it is supposed to be even larger than the 11 Pro Max and I won't buy it if it is 8 ounces or more. That is a TABLET! If it was to weigh as much as the 8 Plus, OK, but I doubt it. So, I think I will have to settle for the 12 Pro. If only there was the 12 Pro Plus . . .

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The size for me would be the size of my much loved 4s with full screen utilisation, small enough to sit at the bottom of a jeans front pocket, and because of the short distance between frames stiff enough not to crack the screen if you forget and sit on it ! As for my failing eyesight I can increase the print size when I want to... Just checked,this is still the case.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2