iPhone 11pro ios 13.1.1 panorama failed on facebook

arttext

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I shot two panos with my iPhone 11pro ios 13.1.1 on facebook last week. However facebook didn’t recognize the panos as such and published just the distorted flat photo. Although there used te be an app (meta360) to correct that in post, it doesn’t recognize the iPhone pano as an image altogether.
Am I the only one?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. This sounds more like a Facebook issue and what they allow to be posted. I'm not sure though. Maybe someone with this knowledge will chime in with the correct response. Thanks for joining and feel free to participate in the many threads on iMore. Enjoy.

macleoda

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Just proved positive this is an iPhone 11 (Pro) issue. Been trying for 24hrs to post a pano to FB in 360 mode — just could not make it work. Tried exact same same shot with my wife’s iPhone XS, same OS (13.1.2), worked perfectly first time.

I assume something different with the file format produced by iPhone 11 which FB hasn’t prepared for?

Any ideas anyone? Please don’t suggest I edit the EXIF data...

macleoda

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
It could be Facebook. They might not have updated their app to support the new iPhones.

True. I jumped to a conclusion there.

What I know for sure is the issue is not solely caused by IOS13 (or, in particular, 13.1.2) since both test devices are using it.

The iPhone XS used has been successfully used many times to do exactly this - to upload panoramas to FB which are then recognised and visible as 360s.

The iPhone 11 Pro simply does not work, in a literal side-by-side test (my wife standing next to me taking the same photo on her XS that I took on my 11 Pro at the same time with the same IOS version); hers uploaded properly, mine didn't.

So yes @scruffypig I mispoke, it's a compatibility problem between the 11 Pro and FB which, I presume, means there are changes to file structure / size / EXIF info for the 11 Pro which require changes by FB and they have yet to recognise the problem and make changes.

At least I'm not going mad so I'll just sit and wait for them to fix it.