IPH0NE 3GS purchase

newguy09

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys.. i have a sime simple question about purchasing a iPhone ...
I want to gift my friend a iPhone on his b'day.. .so can i upgrade my phone to iPhone 3gs and give it my friends. Will i have to pay any charges other than the upgrade...? will i be charged data plan cost... or it will be transfer to my friends account..!!

please let me know as i a have never done this yet...

regards and thank you

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
all you do is take the phone price and add your state's sales tax.

16 GB = 199 + sales tax (199 * 1.0x) where x is your sales tax.
32 GB = 299 (299 * 1.0x)

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
You will have to pay for the data plan every month. If you activate it with your account.

Last edited:

robbiebisme

May 31, 2009
Visit site
u will not have to pay the data plan every month if ur friend has his own seperate at&t plan u can upgrade ur line to it then take ur sim card back and give him the phone he puts his sim in it connects it to itunes and then that is that u call at&t and make sure that u dont have the data plan on ur line anymore and tell ur friend to make sure he adds it to his line so he doesnt have overage charges

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Newguy,

I'm not sure anyone has addressed you real question.

When you purchase the 3GS, you're essentially upgrading your account from the 3G to the 3GS. The SIM card in the 3G will be deactivated, and you will be given a new SIM card with the new 3GS.

If your friend is inhereting your older 3G iPhone and wants to use it on the AT&T Network, all he would have to do is to take the phone to an AT&T store, get a new SIM card from AT&T that includes that 3G phone's info, your friend then puts that SIM card into the 3G, and syncs it with iTunes to activate the phone. It's a rather simple process.

If you're friend is not planning to use AT&T, and wants to go with T-Mobile or some other compatible company or pre-payed plan, you would need to Jailbreak and unlock the 3G in order to use it on that network. It's pretty easy to do, but that's a whole other topic.

Good luck!

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Actually if the rep you're working with is worth his salt, he will change your IMEI only and you won't have to worry about the sim swap. If he can do it that way, then you don't even have to unwrap the 3gs. just have him change the IMEI back to your 3g's IMEI after the transaction is done. BA DA BING!