iPadOS 18 looks great, but it still doesn't fix the iPad's biggest problem

Kal Madda

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Stage Manager works beautifully for me, my iPad is my primary computer, and I use it for professional graphic design work, 3D modeling/sculpting, and all of my other workflow. I don’t think some Mac users will ever be happy with iPadOS, they just want iPadOS replaced with macOS. Also, the new Control Center will streamline many workflows with the ability to pin my custom Siri Shortcuts into it, as well as third-party apps providing controls for their apps. And Apple Intelligence looks like it will be revolutionary for multitasking.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Stage Manager works beautifully for me, my iPad is my primary computer, and I use it for professional graphic design work, 3D modeling/sculpting, and all of my other workflow. I don’t think some Mac users will ever be happy with iPadOS, they just want iPadOS replaced with macOS. Also, the new Control Center will streamline many workflows with the ability to pin my custom Siri Shortcuts into it, as well as third-party apps providing controls for their apps. And Apple Intelligence looks like it will be revolutionary for multitasking.
In your line of work, the iPad Pro is the perfect device. However, for others it’s lacking.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
In your line of work, the iPad Pro is the perfect device. However, for others it’s lacking.
I agree, I’m not saying the iPad Pro is perfect for everyone, though it definitely is basically perfect for my workflow. 👍🏻. I understand some people bump into some limitations, and I hope that some of them will be improved over time. I just think Stage Manager works great, but some seem to expect it to work differently in some way. Like to me at least, things like shifting Stages out of the sidebar when you’ve created several new Stages is expected behavior. And snapping windows to a snap grid makes multi-windowing feel more natural in iPadOS, and makes it easier to work with without a keyboard and mouse, at least in my opinion. Besides, the snap grid for windows is very dense, I don’t know what difference it really makes if my app window is an 8th of an inch over more than I dragged it, or whatever. And the perfectionist in me appreciates that app windows automatically align rather than feeling like if I bump an app window, it will never be truly centered ever again, like I do when interacting with macOS’s windowing.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Then maybe an iPad isn't what they need. Why complain that a tool isn't doing a job it isn't intended to do.
Fair enough. With that being said, what more can someone with an iPad Pro do that someone with an iPad Air can’t while running the same iPadOS version? I’m sure there’s something, but is it enough to justify the ‘Pro’ title in your opinion?

Kal Madda

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Fair enough. With that being said, what more can someone with an iPad Pro do that someone with an iPad Air can’t while running the same iPadOS version? I’m sure there’s something, but is it enough to justify the ‘Pro’ title in your opinion?
What more can a MacBook Pro do that someone with a MacBook Air can’t while running the same macOS version? The OS is the same across the board, there’s no additional macOS features for MacBook Pros vs MacBook Airs. They both run the same OS, and most of the same software. The distinction is the hardware, just like with the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro offers a better display, faster chip, faster port, better speakers, etc. than the iPad Air.

Reactions: FFR and Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What more can a MacBook Pro do that someone with a MacBook Air can’t while running the same macOS version? The OS is the same across the board, there’s no additional macOS features for MacBook Pros vs MacBook Airs. They both run the same OS, and most of the same software. The distinction is the hardware, just like with the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro offers a better display, faster chip, faster port, better speakers, etc. than the iPad Air.
That is an outstanding response! I suppose I should put my head down, bury my tail between my legs and go hide somewhere…(laughing).

Seriously, your analogy with the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro is spot on. Having said that, my “expectations” of the MacBook Pro over the MBA is exactly what I thought it would and should be, and after having used both, I doubt I’d buy the Pro model ever again.

With the iPad Pro, my expectations are a bit different. I expect …..er, um…..I desire it to be more than just better hardware and I think a good deal of others desire the same.

Reactions: Kal Madda and FFR

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

And is also incredibly thin.

Kal Madda

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
That is an outstanding response! I suppose I should put my head down, bury my tail between my legs and go hide somewhere…(laughing).

Seriously, your analogy with the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro is spot on. Having said that, my “expectations” of the MacBook Pro over the MBA is exactly what I thought it would and should be, and after having used both, I doubt I’d buy the Pro model ever again.

With the iPad Pro, my expectations are a bit different. I expect …..er, um…..I desire it to be more than just better hardware and I think a good deal of others desire the same.
Thanks. 👍🏻. I understand that some want more out of the iPad’s, especially the iPad Pro. And I’m all for improving iPadOS with more macOS functionality and features. 👍🏻.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy