iPad Pro 9.7" fully loaded or New MacBook 12"?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of moving from Android/Chromebook/Windows world to iOS/Mac. Picked up the 6s Plus in December and I've pretty much been sucked in by the fluidity, support, and cohesiveness of Apple products. I've decided that I want a companion device and I've narrowed it down to the 9.7" iPad Pro (with Apple keyboard and Pencil) or the 12" MacBook (either new one or last year's refurbished model).

I am primarily looking for an entertainment/work device. Entertainment coming first. But I do want something that I can use to work on documents, spreadsheets and email.

I'm leaning towards the Pro since entertainment is my first priority. But I do worry that it's just a huge version of my phone.

Anyone have any insight with a similar situation?

Thanks!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
hmm thats a tough one- I think that i would lean toward the macbook to be honest- easier to type on and is more of a computer. I have an iPad as well so I guess thats easier said then done- i think each has its place. Its a good time to pick up a refurbished last year macbook- its a great computer. I do also love the new iPad pro... but i don't use the iPad pro much for work.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
hmm thats a tough one- I think that i would lean toward the macbook to be honest- easier to type on and is more of a computer. I have an iPad as well so I guess thats easier said then done- i think each has its place. Its a good time to pick up a refurbished last year macbook- its a great computer. I do also love the new iPad pro... but i don't use the iPad pro much for work.

That's where my sticking point is. Not sure which I would use more. I think the iPad would be much better at entertainment due to apps and is a little more portable. But the Mac obviously can be used for entertainment, too, and is a bit more usable for work.

My other issue with the Mac is that I've never really used a Mac, so I'd be learning an all new OS.

Tough call!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For my 40th birthday a few years ago I bought myself an iMac and never looked back- learning curve wasn't hard-

That's where my sticking point is. Not sure which I would use more. I think the iPad would be much better at entertainment due to apps and is a little more portable. But the Mac obviously can be used for entertainment, too, and is a bit more usable for work.

My other issue with the Mac is that I've never really used a Mac, so I'd be learning an all new OS.

Tough call!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I am primarily looking for an entertainment/work device. Entertainment coming first. But I do want something that I can use to work on documents, spreadsheets and email.

I'm leaning towards the Pro since entertainment is my first priority. But I do worry that it's just a huge version of my phone.

Anyone have any insight with a similar situation?

Thanks!
For what you described above, the iPad Pro would probably be your best bet, in my opinion. I purchased the 9.7" iPad Pro, the Apple Smart Keyboard and the Pencil a few weeks back as a replacement for my early 2009 model MacBook. I also considered the MacBook Air, and thought hard about it the other day when it was announced that 8GB will be standard for them, or something to that effect, however, having used my items for a few weeks, I can honestly say that 95% of what I was using my MacBook for I am able to do with my iPad Pro AND Smart Keyboard. As for the Pencil, I can easily get by without it.

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
honestly i was torn between the 2 .. i purchased the iPad and have a macbook... and i use an iPhone 6s plus.. for me the iPad was cool at first but ended up seeing i much rather grabbed my macbook or phone.. the pencil was cool but in all reality i got my iPhone 6s plus to have the benefit of a larger device on the go
for me i do not need an iPad in my line up because i like the full benefits of a computer with a keyboard, it was a fun toy but not something i needed for overall daily use and drive.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro, unless your email/document/spreadsheet workflow is advanced and can't be addressed by mobile versions of the product.

Also it depends on what your definition of entertainment is, if it's lean back on the couch/plane/train or lay down in bed, watching movies and reading stuff, the ONLY choice is the iPad.

For me, sadly I can't do without my MacBook Pro 13", as I find myself working with multiple sources of content, rummaging around in SFDC (not a great experience on iPad) and also sharing content for WebEx/Goto Meeting. I'm glad I can have both, as they do very specific things, mind you quite a bit of overlap in the middle, especially now with the 9.7" Pro and it's wonderful keyboard cover (it is the best bit of the solution, I previously had an iPad Air with an Apple Magic keyboard, just wasn't a nice experience).

Oh and the convenience of the option of always on connectivity via Cell/4G/LTE, can't be overstated, it makes a hell of a difference, and normally guides me on what device I'm going to get out of my bag. iOS tethering is a pile of @#$% in my experience, WIFI always takes some time (if available at all), hence I'd still be getting my MacBook online by the time I've completed the thing I needed to do, on my iPad.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh and the convenience of the option of always on connectivity via Cell/4G/LTE, can't be overstated, it makes a hell of a difference, and normally guides me on what device I'm going to get out of my bag. ....

You are spot-on, my friend. Even if you use it infrequently, having the ability makes the experience even better. :)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going with the Pro. I think it will cover 95% of what I need. Then I'll do the smart thing and save up my pennies and get a Mac down the line. Possibly switch my family off of Windows (if I can sway the Mrs.).

Thanks for those who have chimed in.

sjohnvivian

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I was facing this same decision for the past couple days. Then today I went out and got the 9.7" iPad Pro with the  Smart Keyboard and I have to say I don't regret it one bit. It only takes a few minutes to get adjusted to the keyboard, but it adds a lot of productivity to using the iPad. I honestly never thought an iPad could ever fully replace a MacBook and I'm still not 100% sure it can, but I know that the speed of this new iPad Pro, and the vivid and awesome display, make me want to give it a try. I already had a MacBook Pro with Retina Display in my Apple lineup, but I honestly think that this is the perfect fit for my needs.

So happy with my purchase! :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was facing this same decision for the past couple days. Then today I went out and got the 9.7" iPad Pro with the  Smart Keyboard and I have to say I don't regret it one bit. It only takes a few minutes to get adjusted to the keyboard, but it adds a lot of productivity to using the iPad.
'Nuf said
I honestly never thought an iPad could ever fully replace a MacBook and I'm still not 100% sure it can, but I know that the speed of this new iPad Pro, and the vivid and awesome display, make me want to give it a try. I already had a MacBook Pro with Retina Display in my Apple lineup, but I honestly think that this is the perfect fit for my needs.

So happy with my purchase! :D
Outstanding, and congratulations on getting your new 9.7" iPad Pro...:)

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 256 GB + Cellular Gold 9.7 Pro to replace my 64 GB Air 1

To be honest, my Air 1 had not found an app that it could not run and while some loading and app switching seems faster on my new Pro, this was not a feature I used frequently enough to care about speedy switching. The space, for the love of god I have no idea what I will do with all of it. My iPhone already has every single file I need when away from my computer and it still has about 30 gigs free (I have a 128 GB Silver 6s+). The cellular modem I absolutely love though. I like not having to waste battery life on my phone running it as a hot spot. I also finally have a device to replace my old HP Chromebook which had an HSPCA+ T-Mobile SIM. This is a feature that I really wish more laptops and tablets had.

I had no choice but to upgrade as my clumsy butt dropped my Air and shattered the screen but for me I think I overpaid. I didn't really need all that storage and the main new feature I like (cellular data) is something I could have got on the original Air (though mobile data cost a lot more when the Air was new). Don't get me wrong though, the Pro is a slick device. I've finally picked up the pencil and I think I will get a lot of use out of it if I can find the right word processor with handwriting recognition.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I guess the iPad pro would be your best bet at the moment. If you want to use if for an entertainment device it's a no brainer. I have an iPad air 2 and a macbook pro and once I got the air 2 I don't use the pro as much unless I'm editing photos or using it for school stuff. On the other hand, your needs might change in the future and the macbook would be the better option if you have an advanced workflow.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the process of moving from Android/Chromebook/Windows world to iOS/Mac. Picked up the 6s Plus in December and I've pretty much been sucked in by the fluidity, support, and cohesiveness of Apple products. I've decided that I want a companion device and I've narrowed it down to the 9.7" iPad Pro (with Apple keyboard and Pencil) or the 12" MacBook (either new one or last year's refurbished model).

Anyone have any insight with a similar situation?j

Thanks!

You found your own answer! The fact you'd consider a MacBook vs iPad Pro means you don't need the pencil, which for most people is a novelty. It wears off especially after you realize that the way it charges will eventually destroy your USB port.

I find it curious you'd say entertainment and work in the same sentence. One is usually consumption based - entertainment - and that's the realm of iPad Pro. Work, with a real keyboard and mouse, along with ports, card reader, and all that is not pure consumption as it's also output oriented. Your problem might be right there.

Suffice it to say, buying an iPad Pro and then adding 300-400 dollars worth of supplements is not a great choice. Still can't use a mouse or write an SD card or... Use el capitain or Sierra.

Despite the marketing, iPad Pro is not a MacBook or PC replacement, for work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro