ipad pro 5th Gen and gmail problem

ntsaves

Dec 12, 2022
Visit site
Greetings

Last week purchased new ipad pro 12.9 5th gen, geek squad transferred everything from old iPad pro 1st gen where Gmail was setup as default email instead of icloud.

Gmail appears, however, new emails cannot be sent. However, replying to emails works.
Checked Settings, Mail, Accounts, Gmail, Mail & contacts buttons are On

Live 2 hours from geek squad. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Gem

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
This is something I only have modest experience with, and I can give the basis for email. The protocols used are SMTP(simple mail transfer protocol) and POP (post office protocol). I think(??) Apple uses IMAP which in simplest terms is much like POP. These two are incoming email protocols. SMTP is the outgoing email protocol. (Anyone more fluent on email please correct anything I erred on).

Ssymptoms:
- you cannot send a newly created email.
- you can send a reply to a received email (SMTP is working)
- you can receive emails. (POP/IMAP is working).
- the email settings for gmail were transferred from an old generation IPad Pro.

Troubleshooting:
- What happens when you create a new email to your own address and hit send? I am assuming it just goes into your outbox and sits there. (Otoh if you hit send and it does nothing, this suggests to me a bug. Are you up to date on IPadOS and Google?).
- What happens if you open a browser, go to gmail, login, then try to send that same test email to yourself?
- what, if any, rules did you setup on the original iPad’s email? Did those rules maybe corrupt/not properly 1:1 transfer?

Alternate: if you pay for iCloud+ I suggest it’s a great time to be going with iCloud for the privacy benefits.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Greetings

Last week purchased new ipad pro 12.9 5th gen, geek squad transferred everything from old iPad pro 1st gen where Gmail was setup as default email instead of icloud.

Gmail appears, however, new emails cannot be sent. However, replying to emails works.
Checked Settings, Mail, Accounts, Gmail, Mail & contacts buttons are On

Live 2 hours from geek squad. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Gem

Would you happen to have 2 email accounts configured on the iPad?

This is something I only have modest experience with, and I can give the basis for email. The protocols used are SMTP(simple mail transfer protocol) and POP (post office protocol). I think(??) Apple uses IMAP which in simplest terms is much like POP. These two are incoming email protocols. SMTP is the outgoing email protocol. (Anyone more fluent on email please correct anything I erred on).

Ssymptoms:
- you cannot send a newly created email.
- you can send a reply to a received email (SMTP is working)
- you can receive emails. (POP/IMAP is working).
- the email settings for gmail were transferred from an old generation IPad Pro.

Troubleshooting:
- What happens when you create a new email to your own address and hit send? I am assuming it just goes into your outbox and sits there. (Otoh if you hit send and it does nothing, this suggests to me a bug. Are you up to date on IPadOS and Google?).
- What happens if you open a browser, go to gmail, login, then try to send that same test email to yourself?
- what, if any, rules did you setup on the original iPad’s email? Did those rules maybe corrupt/not properly 1:1 transfer?

Alternate: if you pay for iCloud+ I suggest it’s a great time to be going with iCloud for the privacy benefits.

You’re not too far off. POP (POP3 more specifically, POP2 and POP1 are no longer in use, if they existed) is like your Post Office, and it removes the messages from the server (by default). IMAP (IMAP4) synchronizes the mailbox with the server, and allows the same state across devices.

Note that POP3 is less and less common.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Would you happen to have 2 email accounts configured on the iPad?

You’re not too far off. POP (POP3 more specifically, POP2 and POP1 are no longer in use, if they existed) is like your Post Office, and it removes the messages from the server (by default). IMAP (IMAP4) synchronizes the mailbox with the server, and allows the same state across devices.

Note that POP3 is less and less common.

Thanks for the information Ed7789. As you probably guessed, it’s been a while since email server admin has been in my job description:).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro