iPad Mini, and iPhone 6 5.5"

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have just started a topic a few days ago asking for an advice regarding which tablet should I go for, Mini R or Air and till now I am not able to really take a solid decision...

What makes it harder for me that I love the Mini because of the size, I already have the original Mini and was really enjoying it till Safari became unusable as it keeps crashing due to low RAM..

What makes it a harder decision is that I am also planning to get the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 if it ever makes it to life, and I fear having such a big iPhone that is a little close the Mini size could just kill the Mini making me much less interested in it, specially as I heard Apple would offer an amazing battery life with the new iPhone... Do you also think the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would honestly keep my rMini even if a got a 5.5" iPhone. I love the rMini and I wouldn't think any different about it even with a 5.5" phone :)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well 2.5" I think is a big enough difference in screen size to justify both. Heck, that's a larger difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad Air, and I could understand why some people might justify both sizes. But as far as your decision goes, how would you use each? I think that's the big question. If you like to read, or watch a lot of Netflix, or want to do some heavy browsing or have something to use while on the couch, then having the iPad Mini would probably still be good to get.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Well 2.5" I think is a big enough difference in screen size to justify both. Heck, that's a larger difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad Air, and I could understand why some people might justify both sizes. But as far as your decision goes, how would you use each? I think that's the big question. If you like to read, or watch a lot of Netflix, or want to do some heavy browsing or have something to use while on the couch, then having the iPad Mini would probably still be good to get.

The main use is taking some notes, and recording some lectures in my college and that's all using Evernote. That's why I am getting it

But I am also expecting to browse loads of websites on daily basis including news websites to read news, specially technology ones as iMore and The Verge. I will also use it to check social networks, and watch few YouTube videos or movies on the go (if home I will just AirPlay to TV)

The only difference between the Mini R and Air is the screen size, and Air having a richer color screen. That's not what makes the Air still an option for me, it's the official battery life topic available on the Air forum which shows some people with 15 hours usage, and like 2 days standby, I never got that on my original Mini while most people say the Mini R lasts exactly as long as the original Mini, or even a little less.... I was never satisfied with the original Mini battery, I always felt my iPad 2 could do much much more.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The main use is taking some notes, and recording some lectures in my college and that's all using Evernote. That's why I am getting it

But I am also expecting to browse loads of websites on daily basis including news websites to read news, specially technology ones as iMore and The Verge. I will also use it to check social networks, and watch few YouTube videos or movies on the go (if home I will just AirPlay to TV)

The only difference between the Mini R and Air is the screen size, and Air having a richer color screen. That's not what makes the Air still an option for me, it's the official battery life topic available on the Air forum which shows some people with 15 hours usage, and like 2 days standby, I never got that on my original Mini while most people say the Mini R lasts exactly as long as the original Mini, or even a little less.... I was never satisfied with the original Mini battery, I always felt my iPad 2 could do much much more.

I honestly would get the rMini and still get the 5.5 iPhone 6. I have a rMini myself and love it! I like the Air too but it's still too big for my liking. My battery life is pretty good. I haven't used it much in the past few days because of my schedule but here's my battery life....about 75% of the usage is watching tv shows! listening to music & playing games on my flights the past few days. I'm sure I could get a couple more hours out of this.

muga5eda.jpg

elliwhi

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I honestly would get the rMini and still get the 5.5 iPhone 6. I have a rMini myself and love it! I like the Air too but it's still too big for my liking. My battery life is pretty good. I haven't used it much in the past few days because of my schedule but here's my battery life....about 75% of the usage is watching tv shows! listening to music & playing games on my flights the past few days. I'm sure I could get a couple more hours out of this.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/20/muga5eda.jpg

Woah how much storage space do you have o_o

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Woah how much storage space do you have o_o

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

LOL...I got 128GB. I travel a lot for work & I wanted to make sure I had enough space for lots of movies, tv shows & books. Gotta keep busy on those flights that don't offer internet��

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered the air. I was back and forth. I have the original mini and went back and forth for a few weeks and wound up with the air and am very happy with my decision. The weight is nothing for me and he bigger screen size really makes a difference.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
LOL...I got 128GB. I travel a lot for work & I wanted to make sure I had enough space for lots of movies, tv shows & books. Gotta keep busy on those flights that don't offer internet��

This is what I'll do with my next iPad. I went cheap and got the 16G when I got it two years ago. Not next time. The extra money spent is a huge jump in usability.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This is what I'll do with my next iPad. I went cheap and got the 16G when I got it two years ago. Not next time. The extra money spent is a huge jump in usability.

It's definitely worth the money. My first iPad was the 3 & I only had 32GB...idk how I ever survived lol

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't see taking typed or handwritten notes on anything smaller than Mini. Mini is a perfect compromise between portability and functionality.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
By living on the cloud most of the time?

In normal circumstances yes, but wifi on flights doesn't allow streaming. By time I thought about downloading a movie, it was time to head to the airport. Living in the cloud requires way too much planning & as much as I'm on the go, there's no time to plan.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
In normal circumstances yes, but wifi on flights doesn't allow streaming. By time I thought about downloading a movie, it was time to head to the airport. Living in the cloud requires way too much planning & as much as I'm on the go, there's no time to plan.

I guess everyone is different. I'm fine living on 16gb, with plenty of space to go. I don't store movies, music, or books on here. All of my photos are on my MacBook Pro. All that's on my Mini non Retina is apps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I also cheaped out and got a 16 GB rMini. I love it, but regret upgrading to a 32 GB model. If the iPhone 6 base model starts at 16 GB you can guarantee I'll be getting the 32.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess everyone is different. I'm fine living on 16gb, with plenty of space to go. I don't store movies, music, or books on here. All of my photos are on my MacBook Pro. All that's on my Mini non Retina is apps!

I fly at minimum twice a week, so I use my iPad for entertainment. If I was home most of the time, I'm sure I wouldn't need as much space.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I fly at minimum twice a week, so I use my iPad for entertainment. If I was home most of the time, I'm sure I wouldn't need as much space.

You may be better off with a high end Android tablet that actually supports external cards and USB drives. The cost of storage is ridiculous in iPads and a high capacity model will cost as much - if not more - as the premium Android hardware that would kill it in specs.

Unless you want a 7" tablet, the last time I checked there wasn't much high end choice on Android side. The low to mid price point Android devices are not built too well. But the premium $500+ 10" tablets are very nice.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You may be better off with a high end Android tablet that actually supports external cards and USB drives. The cost of storage is ridiculous in iPads and a high capacity model will cost as much - if not more - as the premium Android hardware that would kill it in specs.

Unless you want a 7" tablet, the last time I checked there wasn't much high end choice on Android side. The low to mid price point Android devices are not built too well. But the premium $500+ 10" tablets are very nice.
A Nexus 7 is a pretty good tablet.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to get the 5.5" i6 (provided it exists) I'd go with the iPad Air. It's a great device

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Cost isn't an issue. I'll pay a premium for a device that works for me. I own a 128GB rMini & a 32GB iPad 3 so I'm not in the market for another one. If I was I wouldn't get an Android at this point in time. They don't have a 7" tablet that I like & it doesn't fit into my ecosystem. I have a Mac household (been that way for a long time) & my previous Android devices didn't play nice so I'm good.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods