iPad: Buy it Now or Later?

Now or Later?

• Total voters

MobiCoder

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is the iPad really justified in it current state as anything but a status symbol? As a competitor to the Kindle for it's library, yes but besides that I'll need a lot more for me to go and get it now verses second or third gen.

Then again if they load the Adobe CS5 on it I'll be first in line. oh oh or xCode, designing apps on the system it meant for. oh well one can dream.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Is the iPad really justified in it current state as anything but a status symbol? As a competitor to the Kindle for it's library, yes but besides that I'll need a lot more for me to go and get it now verses second or third gen.

Then again if they load the Adobe CS5 on it I'll be first in line. oh oh or xCode, designing apps on the system it meant for. oh well one can dream.
One "justifies" tools, not toys.

If one wants a tool, one might well wait. If one wants a toy, get on with it.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
One "justifies" tools, not toys.

If one wants a tool, one might well wait. If one wants a toy, get on with it.

Some are convinced that it is a toy. Some are convinced that it is a tool.

I think it is a combination of the two and costly enough to warrant justification for those who aren't entirely made of money.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Some are convinced that it is a toy. Some are convinced that it is a tool.

I think it is a combination of the two and costly enough to warrant justification for those who aren't entirely made of money.
If one is not able to decide whether something is a tool or a toy, asking other people what to do is about as good a way to make a decision as any.

The opinion of others is fairly clear in the poll above.

Who wants to bet me that it helps?

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
to the OP....so what was the decision?

Are you asking about the result of the poll? It is not closed yet. However, the opinion seems to be about 7 to 3 in favor of buying now. Does anyone think that if it is kept open for another week, the results will change?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
If one is not able to decide whether something is a tool or a toy, asking other people what to do is about as good a way to make a decision as any.

The opinion of others is fairly clear in the poll above.

Who wants to bet me that it helps?

Who said one couldn't decide?

Seeing shades of grey is not at all the same as indecisiveness.

Asking others for help isn't much of a crime, either, although I think this thread was more about discussion, entertainment, and debate. The poster didn't even say what his (?) needs were, for us to answer whether ONE should buy it or whether S\HE should buy it.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
ok the last few posts i read sound like poetry lol :X

i been reading and reading all these posts and from the sounds of it, i think i will have to take the leap and get me one asap! I will use it mostly in my car as my media library, etc. i have big plans for this thing! I will create a new thread with my new project soon ;)

anon(4675100)

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm waiting for the second gen because it hasn't been released here (Ireland) yet but up to now, second generation models have been released closer to US release times, so by the time gen one is finally released here, it'll only be 9 or 10 months to wait...

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I'm waiting for the second gen because it hasn't been released here (Ireland) yet but up to now, second generation models have been released closer to US release times, so by the time gen one is finally released here, it'll only be 9 or 10 months to wait...
I thought you were going to say 2 or 3 months, but you're still basically yanking a yearlong wait.

Heck, it is ALREADY about 10 months before the anticipated release of iPad 2: iHarder!

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I thought you were going to say 2 or 3 months, but you're still basically yanking a yearlong wait.

Heck, it is ALREADY about 10 months before the anticipated release of iPad 2: iHarder!
I dunno what I was talking about here. Maybe one of those flawed iPad keyboard autocorrects?
UPDATE!!!! new iPad User here.... thanks alot guys, u all helped me out alot!!!!!

http://forum.tipb.com/showthread.php?p=1577879#post1577879

Congrats. 3G or what?

Fulltilt

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Based on history with the iPod and iPhone, does anyone think a hardware upgrade will be released by Christmas?

If so, to what extent? In other words, just minor tweaks like processor speed and batter... or major upgrade like camera and reduction of weight?

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I didn't bother waiting either. I always say this but I'm pretty happy with the current model. The only real way I would want to upgrade is if a retina display was offered. I'm sure Apple will include some killer features that I can't resist though.

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Now or later. The perennial debate in technology, and all things consumer. I advise not to buy brand new, and never buy top of the line. Because I don't like to pay to be a beta tester, IMHO.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Retina display on ipad: Its hard to imagine what 326ppi would look like on an ipad. Wow.

Does anyone know why iPhone 3Gs is 163 ppi and the ipad is only 132ppi? Technology limit? Cost limit?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
iPad 2 I'm betting wont be till next April. Apple loves their cycles thats for sure. I'd LOVE to see dual cameras and retina display! holy crap retina on a 10 inch iPad sounds soooo awesome!!!

freebiejeebies

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same dilemma, I have an iPhone 4 and am going on holiday on friday, I'm thinking of getting an iPad to use on the flight and then on the beach when the Mrs is reading a book or something. The only thing is I'm not sure I can justify the ?500 to get one when I already have the iPhone that can do all the same things but just has a smaller screen.

Plus, I'm thinking that it's now only about 6-8 months until the generation 2 one comes out and I'd really like to see it with the retina screen which will surely happen in the second gen one.

so go ahead, convince me :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox