iPad app slide over feature working differently in iOS 11

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I use the Apple TV remote app on my iPad frequently. Prior to iOS 11, while using another app (like Safari) I could slide from the right side of the screen to use the Remote app quickly. This function appears to be gone.

Now I have the option to have the Remote in the dock below but, anyway you slice it, this appears to be at least one extra step. You can drag it from the dock to the right side and use it, but once you slide it to the right and out of the way, it’s gone, as in you can’t slide it back from the right again.

You can also swipe up the dock and simply open the app, but it’s full screen and then you’ll have to jump back to Safari when you’re done instead of simply sliding the Remote away like I used to.

Am I missing something?

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I use the Apple TV remote app on my iPad frequently. Prior to iOS 11, while using another app (like Safari) I could slide from the right side of the screen to use the Remote app quickly. This function appears to be gone.

Now I have the option to have the Remote in the dock below but, anyway you slice it, this appears to be at least one extra step. You can drag it from the dock to the right side and use it, but once you slide it to the right and out of the way, it’s gone, as in you can’t slide it back from the right again.

You can also swipe up the dock and simply open the app, but it’s full screen and then you’ll have to jump back to Safari when you’re done instead of simply sliding the Remote away like I used to.

Am I missing something?

Are you able to do a 3D Touch like function on the remote app in control center?

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A long press and a short one produce the same results. The Remote opens on the right in a sort of transparent form. Cool, but not as fast as the previous method. I like the option of having it in the CC but removing the slide out function doesn’t make sense to me.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Here’s a quote from a Cult of Mac article:

“Slide Over panels appear on the left or the right, unlike in iOS 10. Also, you can swipe an app off to the right of the screen to dismiss it, and swiping back in from the right side will bring that app back, just like in iOS 9 and iOS 10.”

Link to full article: https://www.cultofmac.com/490710/slide-over-split-view-ios-11/

If the above quote is accurate than the function appears to be broken instead of removed. I can slide an app away but I can’t slide it back out. I’m looking for a setting but no luck so far.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Am I missing something?

You're right - there seems to be something wrong. The setting in Settings / General / Must-tasking & Dock / Allow Multiple Apps says, "Swipe from the right edge to reveal your last Slide Over app," but that is also not working on my iPad Mini 4. Either the wording on that setting is wrong, or the function is not working right.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I just realized (I think..) what is wrong. Split Screen items, when swiped away, do not come back. Split screen looks a lot like what I would have called slide over in iOS 10.

Slide over is when you drop a second item in what looks like a small window over the main app. That you can swipe off the screen, then swipe back on.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just realized (I think..) what is wrong. Split Screen items, when swiped away, do not come back. Split screen looks a lot like what I would have called slide over in iOS 10.

Slide over is when you drop a second item in what looks like a small window over the main app. That you can swipe off the screen, then swipe back on.

Yeah, I’m seeing that now. Really had to play with it for a couple of minutes to make it work. Thanks for the tip.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1