iPad 9.7 5th Gen VS iPad 6th Gen

Mountaineer304

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Well, so last month I went out bought a new iPad 9.7 2017 model and have loved it I had kinda shyed away from using tablets but I said oh what the heck it's only 279.99 I got a price match anyways, I've since added a nice body guards tempered glass screen protector, a Zagg rugged messenger keyboard case and some other randoms... My question is do you honestly think it's even worth me upgrading to the new 2018 6th generation model? I'm past my 15 day return policy and I doubt the store will let me return it without the receipt being this long.... And I don't wanna sell it for $200 and half to pay another $150 unless the 6th generation will blow me away with the A10 chip lol... So any input would be appreciated!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What do you use your iPad for? Are you frequently maxing out your current iPad’s potential? The new model is nicer in that it has an A10 processor and supports Apple Pencil but it’s overall only an incremental upgrade from the 2017 model. If you were just now shopping for a new iPad I’d probably steer you toward the new one but I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way for it.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't sound worth it to me. From what I can tell, there are literally two differences -- the updated processor and Apple pencil support. The 2017 iPad is fast enough, unless you are trying to do something like heavy video editing, you likely won't typically notice the speed improvement. The only other change is the Apple Pencil, and if being able to use it (beyond the $99 cost of the Pencil) is worth the $200 for you to upgrade. Otherwise, it seems like they are still using the same iPad components with the two upgrades.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I like you have bought the 2017 model a couple months back. I contemplated the same thing with selling my current and getting the new one. You have to think, yes you will spend $150 if you can get $200 for it but you also have to shell out the money for the new pen. After doing the math I decided to stick with my 2017 model. It runs fine and I have no issues with it. It’s not that important to me to have 1 newer version processor and pen capability. I’ll just buy a 3rd party pen until I buy a. We’re model iPad a few years down the road.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, so last month I went out bought a new iPad 9.7 2017 model and have loved it I had kinda shyed away from using tablets but I said oh what the heck it's only 279.99 I got a price match anyways, I've since added a nice body guards tempered glass screen protector, a Zagg rugged messenger keyboard case and some other randoms... My question is do you honestly think it's even worth me upgrading to the new 2018 6th generation model? I'm past my 15 day return policy and I doubt the store will let me return it without the receipt being this long.... And I don't wanna sell it for $200 and half to pay another $150 unless the 6th generation will blow me away with the A10 chip lol... So any input would be appreciated!

Keep what you have!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
What do you use your iPad for? Are you frequently maxing out your current iPad’s potential? The new model is nicer in that it has an A10 processor and supports Apple Pencil but it’s overall only an incremental upgrade from the 2017 model. If you were just now shopping for a new iPad I’d probably steer you toward the new one but I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way for it.

The pro for the pencil. Only

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I debated the very same thing on 5th gen vs 6th gen iPad but ultimately a crazy good Cyber Monday deal made the choice for me. My 7yo daughter who loves to draw won't care that it doesn't have pencil support since she's never experienced the Apple Pencil nor requested it. The fact that it's brand new will be all she cares about plus she can enjoy unboxing it on Christmas Day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods